Hello my name is Debbie, and I can't drive stick

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: Hello my name is Debbie, and I can't drive stick

Post by Bawked »

A car can make so much difference, as well as someone in the passenger seat. I drove my dads car with him in the passenger seat and wow! I stalled 3 times..... I always thought his car had lots of low down power, but compared to the mr2 it was a gutless piece of shit and no gas launches were slower than a no-gas launch in 3rd in my car!!!!!!! When I drove without him I didn't stall and gained confidence... meh that felt like shit, I've been driving manuals for like a year now? and I felt like a bunny for the first half dozen launches in my dads car. Kinda shows that u get used to a car aswell...
<3 fwd
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Bawked wrote:Kinda shows that u get used to a car aswell...
Thats a big part of it. I can drive my car, and switch to most VWs pretty easy. Completely opposite pedal feel, but Ive driven my friends GTI and Tonys little bunnah enough that Im comfortable.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I find that I can switch to any car w/o any big issues. It takes me maybe 10 mins to adjust. I hardly stall when adjusting to a new car. A low launch or a slight mismatched shift can happen but nothing drastic.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
PhotoJim
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PhotoJim »

Don't feel like you need to use the no-gas start. Use what works for you. I never use a no-gas start and I've been driving a stick for 20 years.

Keep at it - you'll improve. And find a more supportive instructor than your husband. :) A good instructor will be patient and help you realize what you did wrong without intimidating you.

I take friends out to quiet country roads to learn. Much less pressure. Where we live there are quiet gravel roads that might see a car an hour. Such roads are ideal for learning.
2007 Honda Accord EX-L 5MT
2009 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Since an old thread is already bumped...

- A brand new clutch may be a little more grabby than an old one.
- Practicing alone will be less stressful than with someone in the car who is impatient and unsupportive.
- The no-gas start isn't a necessary skill to master, but it's a good training aid.

I too started with little experience, a brand new car, the basic ability to accomplish rough but functional shifts, and lots of difficulty launching. I didn't have anyone to teach me, though.

What with it now being a couple months later, how are you doing with it?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Evaunits01
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Evaunits01 »

HAha really old bump, but how is the 2009 fit. I got the 07 and i got less torque than you do, but i do fine =)
Honda Fit Sport Manual ^.^