Hello to all!

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
.fortune
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: None atm :(

Hello to all!

Post by .fortune »

Hello to everyone here at these forums.
As far as an intro goes, I'm simply a new member here and a new driver (chalk up new college student as well). I came up on these forums by accident earlier this month, and have found the info here to be priceless.
Anyways, I'm in the hunt for a car to call my own, and I'm wondering if it's even somewhat reasonable for me to be thinking about purchasing an STi (04 or 05) as my first car, considering I learned on an auto, and well, I'm new to the whole driving thing.

Just wanna hear some thoughts. And maybe some of jomo's silly banter :D

Cheers

~ cp
CAUTION: long-time lurker, just looking to learn.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: Hello to all!

Post by wannabe »

welcome! and where do you go to school?

i wouldn't know about the car thing, thats jomo (and the others') area of "expertise"
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Generally speaking, I would sat stay away from performance cars to learn to drive stick. It's not that you can't, but that it will be much more difficult. If you have friends with a manual, at least ask them to teach you the basics before buying an STi or other fast, performance car, though I would recommend you not spend so much money on a car, seeing as how you're still in college. Get a beater, save some money, and get a house once you've graduated. Or get the car you want then. Trust me, college kids are very poor drivers (not implying you, but the rest of them :wink:), and treat cars like crap. Your STi will have nasty door dings, scratches, and dents from moronic kids doing moronic things.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and hope you enjoy learning to drive a manual!
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :)

i hate to tell anyone not to get the best car ever made ( :mrgreen: ) but Nychold has a point about it getting messed up around a college campus. i wouldn't have my car if i didn't have a garage to keep it in and i won't park it some places, a college campus being one. it's also a lot of power for a new driver or someone new to stick, let alone both. also, if you have an STi for your first car, where do you go from there? you'll have to spend a lot more on your next car to make it a step up. i think if i were you i'd look at an older Impreza 2.5RS or maybe a bugeye WRX (still a bit of power for a new driver). they'll be cheaper to buy and also don't forget about insurance, and you might not get so worked up about door dings and stuff.

but whatever car you end up with, drive safe and feel free to ask any questions you want on here. :) you should probably check out some of the Subaru forums too if you're interested in Subies. iwsti.com, clubwrx.net, nasioc.com.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

I'll add my voice to those urging a more modest purchase for your first car, but I'll suggest another reason for doing so: it will be more fun.

Now, this does depend somewhat on your definition of fun. If you are an acceleration junky and fun is simply a kick in the back when you lay on the gas pedal, then, sure, the only way to get the most fun is with the most horsepower. On the other hand, if your idea of fun is to learn to get the most out of your car and drive it as well as possible, a more modest car gives you greater scope for exploring and achieving that level of control. Short of joining the rally circuit, you are never going to be able to wring out of an STi all that it is capable of. A Civic or a Golf on the other hand, are machines that you can really learn to take control of. To me, that's where the fun lies.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Nychold wrote:Trust me, college kids are very poor drivers (not implying you, but the rest of them :wink:), and treat cars like crap.
Im offended. :(
jomotopia wrote:Impreza 2.5RS
+23847375 What I started with. Still one of my top 5 favorite cars ever.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

watkins wrote:
Nychold wrote:Trust me, college kids are very poor drivers (not implying you, but the rest of them :wink:), and treat cars like crap.
Im offended. :(
You is plural in this case, not implicating any of the college members on this forum. Excluding Roman, that is...with his death defying road-race-rage. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Haha... Good point about him
.fortune
Junior Standardshifter

Post by .fortune »

:o Thanks for all the advice, I'm kinda surprised at the quick and detailed responses - a reason I loved stalking this forum before I signed up. I'll definitely take all that advice to heart.

As for where I'm going to school, I'm heading to UCI (University of California, Irvine).

I'm definitely a Subie fan, have been since I walked in on my friends watching clips of Solberg driving for the SWRT :oops: umm...I guess that's not the most impressive reason to be a Subie lover, but there it is.
jomotopia wrote:welcome to the site. :)

i hate to tell anyone not to get the best car ever made ( :mrgreen: )
+2.5 :roll:
i think if i were you i'd look at an older Impreza 2.5RS or maybe a bugeye WRX (still a bit of power for a new driver). they'll be cheaper to buy and also don't forget about insurance, and you might not get so worked up about door dings and stuff.

but whatever car you end up with, drive safe and feel free to ask any questions you want on here. :) you should probably check out some of the Subaru forums too if you're interested in Subies. iwsti.com, clubwrx.net, nasioc.com.
Thanks! As far as the WRX goes, is there any specific model year I should gravitate towards/stay away from?
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

.fortune wrote:As far as the WRX goes, is there any specific model year I should gravitate towards/stay away from?
you'll find a lot more info on the Suby sites but i don't think there are really any bad years. 02/03 (bugeyes) will be the cheapest b/c they're the oldest. in 06 they switched from a 2.0L to a 2.5L so i think that, price, and body style would be your determining factors. the 07 STI had a kind of crappy factory tune but i don't know if that also applies to the WRX. and IMO i'd avoid the 08s due to fugliness.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

jomotopia wrote:
.fortune wrote:As far as the WRX goes, is there any specific model year I should gravitate towards/stay away from?
you'll find a lot more info on the Suby sites but i don't think there are really any bad years. 02/03 (bugeyes) will be the cheapest b/c they're the oldest. in 06 they switched from a 2.0L to a 2.5L so i think that, price, and body style would be your determining factors. the 07 STI had a kind of crappy factory tune but i don't know if that also applies to the WRX. and IMO i'd avoid the 08s due to fugliness.
Hey hey hey. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. Wait, I don't drink beer :) . I think they are great looking. If I didn't owe so much on my bug-eye I'd be in an 08 STI heh. Maybe next year I'll be good on trading in the WRX for an STI.
Anyways, for WRXs, any year is good. Pick one you like, test drive it, and buy it. Mmm wait 02 bugeyes have a fuel smell issue (that can come from the fuel rail or the hose/pipe length issue) 03 bugeyes already have this fixed. Not really sure of any other issues between the years.

If you want more info on STIs check IWSTI and check SoCalSubies if you want to check out some of the subaru meets in the area.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

'08 Imprezas are without a doubt the ugliest thing Subaru has come out with. Even worse than the Tribeca and (as far as Im concerned) the bugeyes
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

watkins wrote:'08 Imprezas are without a doubt the ugliest thing Subaru has come out with. Even worse than the Tribeca and (as far as Im concerned) the bugeyes
But that's the thing. All Subaru's are fugly cars. But who buys a Subaru for it's looks? Actually I think that's one reason for the major redesign of the Impreza line heh.

To me, the 08's the RS and the WRX are just eh. The STI's more aggressive, wide body, look is nice. Oh and they look way better in person than from any pic I've seen... and taken. Whatever. Anyway, OP, hope you find something you like.
.fortune
Junior Standardshifter

Post by .fortune »

Haha, gotta love all the diff opinions. I personally am not a big fan of the styling of the 06 Imprezas onward...it just seems...too nice. I gotta admit though, the 08 STi is slowly but surely growing on me. I really do like the bug-eyes though, just one of those odd quirky things I happen to think is neat.

Since I'm looking at pre-owned cars, what should I consider a reasonable amount of mileage on a 2.5 RS? Or is it one of those things where it's relative to how much it's listed for?

I'm paying for the thing myself, and am aiming to keep things below 20k. (haha, as for the STi dreams, I was willing to put in the extra hours for it :)
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Draklen »

Mmmm you should check out some car sale sites... cars.com, autotrader.com, carmax maybe.

Wha? :lol:

Here you go. 1998 Impreza L 56k miles in Norwalk Dang, wish I had an extra $6k. heh.