Buying car within 6 months

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
espo92
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: None ATM :(

Buying car within 6 months

Post by espo92 »

This will be my first car ( yikes ) and i was wondering what kind of car i should look into. I have read a lot of reviews on cars but i want a real persons experience, not a proffesional car tester. Wow that sounds weird, but post a reply to your favorite car that would be affordable for a first car ( 6k-10kish)
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Re: Buying car within 6 months

Post by Prodigal Son »

I think you will need to give us a bit more information about what you are looking for. Most of us on here chose our cars to meet our personal needs and preferences. Tell us what yours are and maybe we can help you choose a car that will suit you best.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
espo92
Junior Standardshifter

Post by espo92 »

Ummmm, Sporty looking with a 150-200 hp engine, nothing that will kill me on insurance, that gets decent mpg ( wow doesnt that fit a big bill) I was looking at things like the '03 Tiburon GT, and of course the '03 Mustang GT, and the weird one a '03 Altima, but the altima was the most expensive price wise/ least mpg/ highest insurance.
Big Boss
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '00 Celica GT-S

Post by Big Boss »

RSX-S

or Celica GT-S 8)

Also, welcome to the boards!
espo92
Junior Standardshifter

Post by espo92 »

Ty, Celica Gt-S I looked into those, youd be suprised how many of them dont exist in C FLA, i have looked in tons of places and have not found them for sale. Also, when I do get this car I want to make it look and sound decent, besides the rims, what else should I see what i can upgrade some?
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

espo92 wrote:Ummmm, Sporty looking with a 150-200 hp engine, nothing that will kill me on insurance, that gets decent mpg ( wow doesnt that fit a big bill) I was looking at things like the '03 Tiburon GT, and of course the '03 Mustang GT, and the weird one a '03 Altima, but the altima was the most expensive price wise/ least mpg/ highest insurance.
Volkswagen GTI
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

You got an insurance quote on a V8 Mustang and it wasn't out of sight? I'm surprised.
espo92
Junior Standardshifter

Post by espo92 »

One of two things is possible, I just dont know what out of sight is, If i got the tiburon gt it is around 950 biannually, but the mustang was only like 980, retarded agent might have only made it a normal mustang and not a gt. w/e
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Subaru :P
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

Nissan

actually the RSX might not be a bad choice... honda reliablity, and vtech yo
DirtyJ
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DirtyJ »

RSX's arnt bad looking cars it will last a long time too.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Prodigal Son wrote:Volkswagen GTI
+1
jomotopia wrote:Subaru :P
+5432533535353245
Personal preference: 2000-'02 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Or look at Saabs. 1994-'98 900 or '99-'02 9-3s are fun. I would know :twisted:
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Well, before you buy the car, make sure you call back with the VIN number of the vehicle you want. The last time I bought a vehicle, I called for a quote with all the information about the car except the VIN number and answered all their questions accurately for that vehicle. When I called back to add the car to my policy, its contribution to my total bill DOUBLED from the quote. The longer I own it without driving it through a fence, the rate is creeping back down, but if I had been budgeting too tightly for it, that might have created a significant issue.

Also, while I know it's not what you want, quote insurance on some more-pedestrian vehicles to see what the difference can be...Focus, Ion, Taurus, Civic, Accord...Also quote some of the models that aren't the top of the line sports screamers. There should be a significant difference between an RSX-S and an RSX, and for a first car, there's really not that much difference.

You may not even want a car you really like for your first car. Depending on what survey you look at, between one in four and one in five new drivers (Biased towards those who get sports cars right away) will have cracked up their car at least once within the first two years.
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

+1 to both the gti and the rsx-s and tiburon.

definitely not the stang if gas mileage is even a small concern :P

Also +1 to what IMBoring said about the insurance quote. Always get a quote on a VIN, not just make/model.
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 VW GTI 1.8T

Post by pobrien »

+3.5976 to the gti. its a blast and i get 25-26 mpgs all day long driving it fairly hard.
-OB