First Day at K1 Speed

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

First Day at K1 Speed

Post by pmacutay »

It's an indoor go-kart thing, they go up to 45 mph.

Driving those things are friggin fun as hell; understeer, oversteer, you get both conditions, you learn threshold braking, weight-transfer induced drifting...

Oh man. Most fun I've had in a long time...it makes me really want to get into Autocross more than ever now.

Anyone else ever done something similar?
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: First Day at K1 Speed

Post by Bawked »

Unfortunately I live in a tiny town, tracks are only a couple of hours away tho. When I get a car I'll probably go and stay at some friends and go race around some tracks and trying kart racing :D Could be the sport I do whilst at uni :P

I've driven a few karts over the years and they are great fun, small engines but they are light as hell so you can throw them into every corner. They are easy to get sliding which makes them fun aswell, I think it makes you more involved in the driving because you are at the most basic level no safety sh1t slowing you down :D

Man I'm seriously amped to go karting now, might go visit those friends in a couple of weeks :lol:
<3 fwd
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

I kept coming in last place, because every time I'd try to cut a racing line and run a grip lap...i'd slip the back end out on one turn, and say to hell with it and just drift the whole course.

I guess I naturally have more fun being sideways than going faster. My friend was a natural though, he was getting top 3 on every race we did (with other people), and it was like his first time there.

It'd be interesting to have a ss.com gtg at one of those things and just watch GarySheehan destroy us all hahaha
95 VR6 Golf Sport
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

pmacutay wrote:It'd be interesting to have a ss.com gtg at one of those things and just watch GarySheehan destroy us all hahaha
Now there's an idea. When you guys go to that summer meet, maybe put this on your list of stuff to do?
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter

Post by pmacutay »

I never really noticed how much oversteering kills your speed until then...drifting is most definitely not the fastest way through a corner unless you're on gravel where you can carry your momentum better through the sliding.

Being at the limit of grip seems to be the best bet. It really taught me a few things and set straight some misconceptions I had about how driving at the limit of grip is.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I've been indoor karting a few times and its a lot of fun.

The biggest mistake I see people making is oversteering off the corners, sliding sideways instead of getting a good drive off the corner kills your laptimes, especially with the four stroke engines which are a little sluggish.

I'd love to do karting at a ss meet but others don't seem to interested when i've brought it up.
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
aznxkaiser
Junior Standardshifter

Post by aznxkaiser »

Hey I went to K1 Speed today! First time also 8)
I did pretty well...I think haha It was realllllyyy fun though, got rid of all my stress!
The kart felt really weird to me, the steering was really heavy and the "accelerator" feels different. I tried to follow the line but someone kept hitting me from behind (I tried to let him pass but he would slow down on the straights..). We should definitely get a meet going! It is sort of expensive though but fun.