Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Post by AHTOXA »

permabanned wrote:mexican slicks are the best until you hit that oily spot in the road or it starts raining

id imagine right around the wear bars which are 1/16ths i think would be the crispiest grip while still maintaining rain driveability
It also depends on the tire compound. Some compounds are just too hard and are pretty dangerous once worn to wear bars. Also rubber may harden as it wears due to heat-cycling.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

just got done autocrossing today. My my my it was fun.

I would have done so much better with a set of decent tires... my almost bald HRi's just suck... and my brand new falkens in the back stuck like glue until they got hot. My tires were just so strange, I couldn't get any oversteer to save my life... ugh, time for R compound slicks...

all in all it was a good day... several badass cars were out there... all I can say is race prepped 74 914.... damn.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Id struggle oversteer in my car, not enuff torques for dry weather power over drifting... i'd have to clutch kick and shit to get it loose.
<3 fwd
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

eaglecatcher wrote:just got done autocrossing today. My my my it was fun.

I would have done so much better with a set of decent tires... my almost bald HRi's just suck... and my brand new falkens in the back stuck like glue until they got hot. My tires were just so strange, I couldn't get any oversteer to save my life... ugh, time for R compound slicks...

all in all it was a good day... several badass cars were out there... all I can say is race prepped 74 914.... damn.
Although Stock Car racing differs markedly from Road Racing, there is one really cool idea behind stock car: every car is equal. Albeit, that's completely untrue, but imagine a race won not because of the car driven but because of how well the driver drove it.

Nonetheless, when you race in a class where the rules are intended to equalize the field, it's a very comforting feeling knowing that skill, not engineering, is the overriding factor winning races. Although autocross is a blast, you'll never know how good your opponents truly are until everyone's racing simliar cars. However, as many high profile NASCAR drivers have demonstrated, people who manage to have a noticably better car often win the race.

Did I also mention that luck is a factor?
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

gizmo wrote:when you race in a class where the rules are intended to equalize the field, it's a very comforting feeling knowing that skill, not engineering, is the overriding factor winning races.
You're kidding, right?
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

Sort of :)
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

except that my class is full of STi's, MR2's, a 914, IS350, RX8's, turbo Civics... guys with slicks...

I did have the slowest time of the day out of all the cars, lol, but I was only 1 second behind a guy in a Mini. I'll attribute my atrocious times to two things, the main thing being my lack of experience, I was the only first time guy out there, and the second being tires. lol. Tires tires tires.... I'm not complaining about crappy handling or anything else but tires...... cheap all seasons don't do anything on an autox course. lol.

oh and did I mention I did beat an EVO :)

only cuz he didn't show. haha
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

wtf class are you racing in you have nothing done to your stang besides the springs. you should be STS tops, subies and evos are STU
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

it's not SCCA. It's BMWCCA, so they have three divisions for non BMW/Minis based on displacement.
my class is 2.0-4.0L
FI is a 1.5x disp multiplier, and slicks or R compound tires move you up to the next class.

So I pretty much get raped. It's still fun though. I really wanna get some wheels and tires over the winter break, which would give me a decent chance. I think decent tires would cut my times down by 2 or three seconds, which would put me close to the RX8's. Maybe subframes and control arms but idk, that's expensive.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

so autox in scca then so you can be competitive and not make an idiot out of yourself everytime.

first few times its all good fun and nobody cares if you run slow as balls, but not all the time.

i have all the wrong mods for autox. im going autoxing for the 1st time this sunday and im running in DSP. im gonna get owned but a big TT crowd is going down, all noobs at autox, were all gonna be murdering cones.

i think you get a trophy for most cones hit :lol:
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

Gary's right (did I really need to point that out?):

The rule books make things sound pretty but in the end the guy with the best motor on the straights and the best car through a turn is going to win, hands down, every time.

...at least, with stock cars, you can be competitive for relatively cheap compared to F1 where, rumor has it, far more money is required just to be mediocre.

I can't speak for road racing, and I shouldn't speak for F1, but the little stock car knowhow I do have leads me to believe that it's not a total loss.

But it's probably not as cool as F1, pfft, imagine that... zoooooooooootttttttttttt
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

permabanned wrote:so autox in scca then so you can be competitive and not make an idiot out of yourself everytime.

first few times its all good fun and nobody cares if you run slow as balls, but not all the time.

i have all the wrong mods for autox. im going autoxing for the 1st time this sunday and im running in DSP. im gonna get owned but a big TT crowd is going down, all noobs at autox, were all gonna be murdering cones.

i think you get a trophy for most cones hit :lol:
Are Azenis R compound tires? I'm gonna stay in the BMW cca just because it's more laid back... I don't feel like going hardcore just yet in SCCA. Maybe once I'm better and have a decent car, but for now I'm happy where I am.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

no, they are street tires. but they are amazing street tires
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

permabanned wrote:no, they are street tires. but they are amazing street tires
seriously? Awesome. I think I'll get those when I get wheels. They look rather cheap for awesome summer tires as well. I really want the toyo proxes r888, but those are expensive and def racing tires...
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

rt615s are definitely not cheap. all the other azenis are meh compared to 615s
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr