Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Post by AHTOXA »

I know there are a few. Let's see who does what and in what kinda car.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

i have done autocross once....2007 Honda Civic Si
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I've dabbled in autocrossing. Amazingly fun. I haven't done it alot, since most of the events are out in the western half of Ft Worth, about an hour drive from my house, but over the summer, I'm going to do a few events. I highly recommend it. Even with a bone stock mustang on shitty tires, its still way too much fun.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm thinking of trying it out. I've always been the offroader but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

When the spring comes I should have my stiffer rear sway bar installed, 1" drop and some good sticky tires.

ETA: I understand that when it comes to anyything automotive, it's always a "pay to play" theory meaning that you will be breaking parts and doing more repairs and what not... I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to get an idea of how expensive it could be.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

AHTOXA wrote:I'm thinking of trying it out. I've always been the offroader but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

When the spring comes I should have my stiffer rear sway bar installed, 1" drop and some good sticky tires.

ETA: I understand that when it comes to anyything automotive, it's always a "pay to play" theory meaning that you will be breaking parts and doing more repairs and what not... I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to get an idea of how expensive it could be.
Auto X really isn't that hard on your car. Really the only thing you wear out in it is tires.

There aren't any hard launches, even the beginning launch isn't drag like, you usually don't get over 40-50mph, you don't hit other cars or objects, it's probably the least risky form of racing there is.

You do need to keep your car in tip top shape for Auto-x, but that's the case with all racing (and driving in general), so it's not a huge deal.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

^^ +1 ^^ Autocross is more about handling, so you usually don't have to worry about your car (so long as it runs and won't flip or spin out)

drag is about pushing your car to it's limit, so that's where the breaking comes into play. Gotta go as fast as you can, but within the limits of your car, or you'll break the shit out of it. takes a lot of practice...
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

I did not have to take my car out of 2nd gear (besides the launch) IIRC my top speed was 44mph (pre engine mods my redline in 2nd was 57mph)
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NjSi wrote:I did not have to take my car out of 2nd gear (besides the launch) IIRC my top speed was 44mph (pre engine mods my redline in 2nd was 57mph)
Yep, last time I did it, I stayed in 1st gear the whole time. Great torque manipulation, I could slide the rear a little around corners, and I could still get up to almost 40mph ish (yes, 1st goes that high in my car), and I touched 2nd once, then realized I was going to fast and didn't have enough throttle manipulation ability, so I put it down back into 1st.

Autox is so much fun, I cant recommend it enough.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I need to do this - any links or resources on where to find good AutoX events in various areas? (Yes, I know Google). :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I would strongly suggest checking out the BMW CCA.

Granted, you don't drive a BMW, but the local chapter near me has like 10 BMW classes, and then they have like 4 non BMW classes (for autox days).
They are a really great bunch of guys, they've given me lots of tips, don't talk crap about non Bimmers, etc.

I don't know if they've got a chapter near you, they probably do, but the one near me is great. I'd check it out if there isn't like a Mazda club. The reason I like it better than the huge generic sports car clubs is that the groups are smaller, and they pay attention and are more willing to help out the noobs.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

I've been racing on circuits for awhile now.
Johnf514 wrote:I need to do this - any links or resources on where to find good AutoX events in various areas? (Yes, I know Google). :P
SCCA Solo website (autocross) - http://www.scca.com/hub.aspx?hub=3
Giant Robot
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Giant Robot »

eaglecatcher wrote:Auto X really isn't that hard on your car. Really the only thing you wear out in it is tires.
If you maintain your car well, it isn't hard. :wink: But it is good for shaking down older cars.

That said, you shouldn't break anything too expensive on auto-x. That's why they use cones. :)
A Famous Giant Robot.
Giant Robot
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Giant Robot »

NjSi wrote:i have done autocross once....2007 Honda Civic Si
What class were you running in? Did your mods bump you up into higher classes?
A Famous Giant Robot.
zender05
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Post by zender05 »

I've done both. Autoxing is great! You can learn a lot from going to a few events. Very family oriented atmosphere.
BlueSkies
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Renault Clio 172

Re: Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Post by BlueSkies »

I have also done both. It is great fun, and you also learn how to control you car. Unfortunatly the car I used was a Clio 172. Well, it is really fun, but a RWD is even more fun. This summer I probably will be driving a Porsche 968 at some track days and AutoX meetings.
/N Falk
I live my life 20.8 km at a time, for those 8 minutes of less, I am free...