1st autocross event

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

six wrote:Do people at autocross events really laugh at you or insult you if you have a horrible course time? "What a n00b!" or "OMG, you suck ass!" or "Stick to grocery-getting, grandma!" I've heard about it before, and it's very discouraging.
Not that I've ever seen. As a matter of fact, the autocross community is one of the most encouraging that I've seen. I'd say there are WAY fewer big egos in autocross than roadracing.

Definitely don't let those rumors hold you back. Get out there and try it in whatever car you have. You'll have a blast.
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

GarySheehan wrote:Or this
Damn that dude got owned big time.
six wrote:Do people at autocross events really laugh at you or insult you if you have a horrible course time? "What a n00b!" or "OMG, you suck ass!" or "Stick to grocery-getting, grandma!"
Not at all for my 1st event. People actually helped a lot, especially as soon as they knew I was a noob.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

hai1206vn wrote:
GarySheehan wrote:Or this
Damn that dude got owned big time.
Which one, the driver of the Vette, or the guy he hit that flew through the air?!
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

GarySheehan wrote:You participated in an organized sport that has literally thousands of events per year, has the highest number of participants of all motorsports in the country, is the most welcoming and easiest access motorsports available to you, and in your first post after your very first event, you bitch about the fact that you can't compare your times with the times of everyone else because they use race rubber.
Hmmm, maybe I made my 1st post not so clear. I'd never compare my times with those guys' times. Of course I know there are classes for good a reason.
GarySheehan wrote:I guess I'm just shocked that you've taken such a limited point-of-view of this instead of looking at all of the many different opportunities available to you. My main point of contention was that you were actually pissed off that these opportunities existed for others and that the sport should conform to you, rather that to everyone.
Gary, I never wrote that I was pissed off. You got it that I oppose to this provision of opportunities. No I don't. The sport is (reasonably) fair to all kinds of entrants - that's how it still exists, and I know that.

So bottom line is I like the sport and how it provides opportunities for all. There's something that I'm not totally happy with, for no good reason I admit, but it's just a little thing that I don't even want to care about. Perhaps I'm not thoughtful enough about other people for the moment. I'll continue with autocross & its categories to learn skills and broaden my view. I appreciate your attempt to steer my opinion in a good way though. May we end this little exchange and let this thread resume afresh?
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

GarySheehan wrote:Which one, the driver of the Vette, or the guy he hit that flew through the air?!
Lol it's the flying subject :D I was surprised how elastic the collision is, in that the guy happens to fly off in full shape rather than shatter on the metal.
Sisrahtac
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Sisrahtac »

paul34 wrote:Just don't let this happen
Ugh. The majority of the comments on that link are ridiculously idiotic and incorrect.
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

I dont think they will now, lesson learned. ahah J/k I hope their ok.
ra64t wrote: yeah, she has a stick now
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

hai1206vn wrote:So bottom line is I like the sport and how it provides opportunities for all. There's something that I'm not totally happy with, for no good reason I admit, but it's just a little thing that I don't even want to care about.
Ah. I thought it was really irritating you and couldn't for the life of my figure out why. Good to hear you'll keep at it. I bet if you stick with it for a year or more you'll have your own set of AX wheels with R compounds on them! ;)

Keep the updates coming on your progress.
hai1206vn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by hai1206vn »

Will do.