F1: The Good, the Bad, the Mediocre?

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
Etanimulc
Senior Standardshifter

F1: The Good, the Bad, the Mediocre?

Post by Etanimulc »

What makes F1 a good, mediocre, bad motor sport?
2000 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
2004 Toyota Camry (Manual Trans.)
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

like i've mentioned in other threads, the extreme technology in traction control, downforce, tires, brakes, make the cars too "easy" to drive and too hard to pass.

extreme costs mean only a few competitive teams, and privateers are completely uncompetative and eventually driven out.

The politics are bull.

In conclusion, its mediocre...
Etanimulc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Etanimulc »

So what do you believe is the best motorsport, for lack of a better term, on gravel? I'm speaking of the likes of Nascar or non-oval racing associations, but don't speak on non-dirt races outside of rally racing.
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

It's becoming mediocre. I want the crazed years of the 70s with proper gearboxes and 1.5 liter engines pushing 1500 horsepower in hands of drivers not scared to die to win.

That's what I want.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Like most sports, it's better when it's amatuer. Just a couple of guys put a car together in their spare time, roll it on a track, just to win for pride and maybe a little bit of money. No huge sponsors dropping millions on cars and parts, no inflated egos of drivers and fans, just the pure joy of driving and racing. No magazines showing off the hottest rides so people can emulate them on the drive, and die, or worse...kill others.

Sorry, not ranting a a soap box...but I'm never impressed when a professionally built race car beats another professionally built race car. ;)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
zender05
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zender05 »

Us Florida boys should head to an autocross together sometime. I haven't been in at least a year. John in (soon) his Mazda 3, and nychold, paul34 and me in tC's.
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

ra64t wrote:like i've mentioned in other threads, the extreme technology in traction control, downforce, tires, brakes, make the cars too "easy" to drive and too hard to pass.

extreme costs mean only a few competitive teams, and privateers are completely uncompetative and eventually driven out.

The politics are bull.

if you think it is easy, take a look at Yuji Ide. he was so bad and dangerous that they stripped him of his superlicence. i dont care that there is a state of the art traction controll in the car. They are still insanly hard to drive. they pull up to 5gs in the corners, making physical fitness a huge factor, as well, teamwork with the pitstops, the pit strategy and the politics within the teams makes the sport very exciting on and off the track. If I can still spin out daddys G35 with the traction controll on, they sure as hell can spin out an F1 car.

Death not part of the sport? Alexander Wurtz was inches from having his head sliced clean off by David Coulthards car on sunday. Try doing up to 260 on the streets of monaco with the wall only feet away on either side. just because people arent dieing as regularaly as they used to doesnt mean the sport isnt deadly.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

Etanimulc wrote:So what do you believe is the best motorsport, for lack of a better term, on gravel? I'm speaking of the likes of Nascar or non-oval racing associations, but don't speak on non-dirt races outside of rally racing.
on tarmac/asphalt you mean? I would have to go with champ car, although I'm highly critical of the direction that series is heading too. They have no TC, and in the past 10 years, the racing in that series has just been exponentially better then F1. Much more passing and many more competative cars. They used to have h-patterns till around 94, and sequential shifts until last year, but this year they have f-1 style paddle shifters and i beleive launch control. through the 80's and 90's they ran a mix of ovals and road courses, so champions really had to master both disiplines, although they've completely phased out ovals this year.

if you include dirt, drifting a 410 sprint car / outlaw sprint around a 1/2 dirt oval sure looks pretty challenging, although I don't follow that form of racing closely.

if you include 2 wheelers, motocross must be up there too, def need skill, balls, and its very very physical, probably the most physical form of motorsport.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

Paolo300zx wrote:
ra64t wrote:like i've mentioned in other threads, the extreme technology in traction control, downforce, tires, brakes, make the cars too "easy" to drive and too hard to pass.

The politics are bull.

if you think it is easy, take a look at Yuji Ide. he was so bad and dangerous that they stripped him of his superlicence. i dont care that there is a state of the art traction controll in the car. They are still insanly hard to drive. they pull up to 5gs in the corners, making physical fitness a huge factor, as well, teamwork with the pitstops, the pit strategy and the politics within the teams makes the sport very exciting on and off the track. If I can still spin out daddys G35 with the traction controll on, they sure as hell can spin out an F1 car.

Death not part of the sport? Alexander Wurtz was inches from having his head sliced clean off by David Coulthards car on sunday. Try doing up to 260 on the streets of monaco with the wall only feet away on either side. just because people arent dieing as regularaly as they used to doesnt mean the sport isnt deadly.
easy is a relative term. Its easy compared to the 60s, 70s and 80s. Its still tough. It should be much tougher for the "pinnacle" of motorsport. pit strategy is not the number one exciting thing for me in racing, and the "politics" is the exact opposite of exciting! Cars sliding around, racing wheel to wheel at the limit, thats whats exciting. When I see an F1 car at the limit now, I see some guy steering input like a video game, not countersteering at all, traction control button blinking on every corner, can't pass the guy their 2 seconds a lap faster then, because of aerodynamics and the handling and braking are so good, its impossible to pull along side someone into a corner.

Death, hell yes. Its always been a part of racing and always will be. But this is completely irrelevant to everyone elses posts. Difficulty is not measured by chance of dying.

btw, that dude was not about to die in the australia race, that was the commentators exaggerating for dramatic effect. This dude did NOT die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW_4QaRRYVw
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

that was alittle different than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwxbQGKE ... ed&search=

its one thing to have a car thats ALREADY on your car come down and hit you in the head. its another to have one slam into the side of your head/neck. either way i wouldnt want to be in either of those situations
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) is the most exciting road racing I've seen in quite some time.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
http://www.garysheehan.com
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

GarySheehan wrote:British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) is the most exciting road racing I've seen in quite some time.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
The German Touring Car Championship is quite exciting aswell. I think if they had a LeMans LMP1 and LMP2 style cars doing sprint racing, that would be quite exciting aswell.
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

The racing in DTM doesn't seem to be anywhere near as tight as in BTCC. The cars are pretty amazing, though.

I sure wish we got to watch the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) here in the US.

http://www.fiawtcc.com/

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
Etanimulc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Etanimulc »

ra64t wrote:
Etanimulc wrote:So what do you believe is the best motorsport, for lack of a better term, on gravel? I'm speaking of the likes of Nascar or non-oval racing associations, but don't speak on non-dirt races outside of rally racing.
on tarmac/asphalt you mean? I would have to go with champ car, although I'm highly critical of the direction that series is heading too. They have no TC, and in the past 10 years, the racing in that series has just been exponentially better then F1. Much more passing and many more competative cars. They used to have h-patterns till around 94, and sequential shifts until last year, but this year they have f-1 style paddle shifters and i beleive launch control. through the 80's and 90's they ran a mix of ovals and road courses, so champions really had to master both disiplines, although they've completely phased out ovals this year.

if you include dirt, drifting a 410 sprint car / outlaw sprint around a 1/2 dirt oval sure looks pretty challenging, although I don't follow that form of racing closely.

if you include 2 wheelers, motocross must be up there too, def need skill, balls, and its very very physical, probably the most physical form of motorsport.
Thanks for the reply, but what I meant to say is only mention nondirt racing, with rally cars as the exception.
Etanimulc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Etanimulc »

The champ car and F1 car look so similiar. What's the difference?