STREET TECHNIQUES

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

STREET TECHNIQUES

Post by ReckLess »

what is the diffrence driving "naturally" or racing in the streets? are there any special techniques that makes it diffrent? if there is any can you explain it pls... thanks
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I assume you're speaking of legally.

Usually, what's called a "street racing" ticket is in fact called an "excessive display of acceleration" ticket. Relatively self-explanatory. No other vehicle need be involved for such a ticket.
jessielange
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jessielange »

Racing in the streets would mean racing against someone else.

Can you honestly not know the difference between casual driving (following speed limits, yielding to other drivers, etc.) to street racing (driving well above posted limits and endangering other drivers)?

The only special technique that makes them different is how you control your gas pedal.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

IMBoring25 "exessive display of acceleration" ain't that drag?
jussielange yes the one the put people in danger... whats adrenaline action without danger?
PJ
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PJ »

Yes there are special techniques for street racing... double clutching and 'heel and toe' techniques for example. If you're gonna want to corner at higher speeds you should learn these because it allows you to shift down the gears a lot faster without the dragging and lurching you might normally get. It's also useful for normal driving too although it's not necessary. I've been doing it for a couple of months now and I really like it.

Say you're shifting from 3rd --> 2nd, this is what you do:
1) Use the ball of your foot to start braking, kick in the clutch and put it in neutral.

2) Release the clutch while still in neutral and while still braking with the ball of your foot, rock the heel or the edge of your foot on the gas pedal to match RPM with what it will need to be in 3rd gear. At higher speeds, the RPM will be higher of course. The more you do it the better you'll get at judging.

3) Kick in the clutch again while RPM is matched, shift into 2nd and let the clutch up. If you've done it right everything will be spinning at the same speed and the shift will be as smooth as anything and you'll find you can take corners a lot faster because everything is so much smoother.

Anyway it sounds hard written down but it's not that bad... try it!
PJ
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PJ »

Oh and by the way, I don't condone street racing... I don't do it myself, I just wanted to learn double clutching for a challenge and to be a better driver. So even though you'll be able to take corners faster, don't take them at ridiculous speeds.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

thanks pj

how do you know when you have matched the rev? and
how do you know when you did it?

i try double clutching but when i shift dow i feel the car trying to spit me out(same feeling when you brake suddenly)
Epi
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Epi »

IMBoring25 wrote:Usually, what's called a "street racing" ticket is in fact called an "excessive display of acceleration" ticket. Relatively self-explanatory. No other vehicle need be involved for such a ticket.
Actually, it depends on the state. In California there's special section in the Vehicle Code, in other states it may be called completely different, or just generic "reckless driving" (or "display of speed/acceleration") applicable.

Speed Contests

23109. (a) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed contest on a highway. As used in this section, a motor vehicle speed contest includes a motor vehicle race against another vehicle, a clock, or other timing device. For purposes of this section, an event in which the time to cover a prescribed route of more than 20 miles is measured, but where the vehicle does not exceed the speed limits, is not a speed contest.
(b) No person shall aid or abet in any motor vehicle speed contest on any highway.
(c) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle exhibition of speed on a highway, and no person shall aid or abet in any motor vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway.
(d) No person shall for the purpose of facilitating or aiding or as an incident to any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition upon a highway in any manner obstruct or place any barricade or obstruction or assist or participate in placing any barricade or obstruction upon any highway.
-Epi.
PJ
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PJ »

You learn how you should be matching revs by shifting down normally and watching the tacho to see how much the RPM goes up... In my car if i'm doing 50km/h (I live in Australia) in 4th it'll be at something like 1500RPM. Shifting down to third will put it up to 2500RPM at this speed. So I just raise it to that RPM when I shift.

Anyway mostly I do it on a gut feeling and it works well for me... Initially i had some problems like you were saying as though the car is wanting to 'spit me out'. But now I get it right about 90% of the time just because I've become used to the rev matching for different speeds... hopefully soon I'll be getting 100%.

And to answer how you know when you've done it... when you get it right you won't even feel the gear shift. Passengers won't even realise you've shifted if they're not watching what you're doing.
jessielange
Junior Standardshifter

Re: reply

Post by jessielange »

ReckLess wrote:IMBoring25 "exessive display of acceleration" ain't that drag?
jussielange yes the one the put people in danger... whats adrenaline action without danger?
By all means have fun, I don't condone alittle fun now and then, just don't put innocent lives at risk.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

<epi>thanks for the rule.. but for me rules are ment to be broken... just kidding...
<jessielang>oh yhea~~! well i drive fast.. really fast when a.) there's no traffic enforcer b.) no cars in the street c.) dawn(early moring) or late night(midnight) so more or less it's kinda safe

<pj> thanks for the tip man i'll try practicing on it. after i master double clutch i'll try heel to toe. it's like double clutch with break right?
PJ
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PJ »

Yeah you use heel and toe to brake and double clutch at the same time... if you're gonna practice double clutching without heel and toe though you'll need a long strip of empty road cos you won't be slowing down too quick... but yeah have fun man double clutching is awesome!
Akuma
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Akuma »

Basically, use heel and toe when you wanna slow down and gear down to prepare for a turn. It's a form of rev matching but you slow down more evenly because your using your brakes while you've got the clutch in. It's the best way to slow down/perpare for a corner because you don't disrupt the balance of the car. But if your just talking about racing in a straight line, then just power shift.

As for definitions of street racing....
basically, any competitive driving, an acceleration competition (even if you only go up to the speed limit) is considered street racing.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

i know what is heel toe(double clutching with breaks)
:twisted:
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Heel and toe really just means spanning your right foot across both the brake and the gas. It can be used to double-clutch. It can also be used to start on a hill with zero rollback and without using the parking brake.