What are they talking about!?

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
dirtybrushes
Junior Standardshifter

What are they talking about!?

Post by dirtybrushes »

Everytime i watch clips of WRC or play WRC games, what exactly is the co driver saying? i know he's giving directions to the driver, but...what does it translate to? 3 right tightens.... 100 over crest...etc ... can anyone direct me to a site that might have more definition or what not? thanks.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Rally drivers normally recce the track before they go on it. What they are shouting are the upcoming turns, and how to take them.

I don't know about the sites, though. Wikipedia might be useful here...
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

A line they might say is "3 right tightens to 2". This means to enter the right turn at 3rd gear, and it tightens to 2nd someway between. 100 over crest usually either means how long the "crest" or soft turn or dip and rise in teh road or how far way from it they are and for the driver to prepare for it... You really learn this stuff well when you play rally games :lol:
dirtybrushes
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dirtybrushes »

ooo awshum thanks guys.

the reason i asked in the first place was becuase i was playing a demo of colin mcrae rally 3 and the whole time it sounded like gibberish to me!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Listen to the lines carefully. Then observe how the upcoming turn is like. Equate them together. Repeat until you have idea of what the phrases mean. Become master rally driver.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Codrivers use a type of abbreviated speaking when describing the track ahead. It usually stems from the notes they have transcribed during the first run of the course.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

six wrote:Listen to the lines carefully. Then observe how the upcoming turn is like. Equate them together. Repeat until you have idea of what the phrases mean. Become master rally driver.
+1.. that's how I learned it :)
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Re: What are they talking about!?

Post by mad_finn »

well I shall translate the whole meaning of this "code" on codriver speech.
1 = 10 meters to next corner
2 = 20 meters to nect corner
etc...
over crest = road goes over crest, and you cant see it for a second + car might go airborne
jump = (well, suprise) car WILL go airborne
flat right = curve to right wich has no bumps, banking or anything on it. (awsome for 4wd powerslide)
...tightens = curve will tighten towards the end of the curve
...strightens = curve will straighten towawrds the end of the curve
narrows = road will get narrower
opens = road will get wider
jump mayby = small bump + car might go airborne (usually at least 2 wheels come off the ground)
easy right = road will turn right, but you can go "flatout"
tough/hard left = left corner you need to slow down much
tight left = left corner, over 90degree turn
rock inside/outside = rock on inside/outside of the corner, really close to the road

There´s something... I cant tell you evrything I know, becouse I dont know all meanings in english, and some are different on my native language.

here is onboard video from Richard buns´s car, taken from about 100 miles from where I live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0m6IGVL ... re=related

I have to admire those drivers who have courage to drive those 300hp 4wd cars on 120+ mph. speeds on snowy & gravel roads wich are just bit wider that normal street lane.

And please forgive me, for some misspelligns, I dont speak english as my native language :oops:
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ Your English is much better than most member's Finnish and even some member's English.

New to the Forum? Post something in the new member's area, pictures or description of your vehicle, what you do in your spare time when you are not logged in to this forum, etcetera.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Unfortunately
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

mad_finn wrote: And please forgive me, for some misspelligns, I dont speak english as my native language :oops:
You speak better English than many Americans :shock:

That was a good explanation though, I never really understood all of that.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

Here is video about WRC rallying... Driver Mikko Hivonen who has entered in WRC raceing class few years ago,
and hes testing new mods of 2008 Ford Focus WRC.
Stage is "Ouninpohja" in Finland. It´s famous about big jumps and Finland has widest roads on WRC rallys, alltough there are few narrow roads inclueded as well.
Here you can see and better understand those speeds and road width.
on this stage speeds go up to 120-135mph on experienced drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZpx9RT ... re=related

Quote from wikipedia
In 1967 Timo Mäkinen became a true rally legend when pictures emerged of the Finn driving his Mini at a furious speed through Ouninpohja with the car's bonnet open. Leather straps holding the bonnet were not thoroughly tightened, and they opened after a few rough bounces. He tried to put his head out of the side window but his his helmet was too big and he could only stick his head halfway out. So he had to skid the car sideways continuously to see the road ahead. Even so Mäkinen was third fastest on that special stage and he also won the rally overall.

http://www.hs.fi/english/picture/1056721037400
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven