iRacing

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

iRacing

Post by gizmo »

Okay, so ra64t has me intrigued. I want to sign up. I have no ambition to buy a $400.00 steering wheel. Actually, any upgrades required must total no more than $100.00, and the monthly membership must be cheap.

What are my options. I feel like racing ra64t, possibly others, but this time ra64t better not drive off without waiting!!!!!

(when we went karting, he kept saying he would wait for my kart to get on the track before going, but he kept driving off and by the time i got out there we were 1/2 track apart and running identical lap times).
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: iRacing

Post by LHOswald »

gizmo wrote:(when we went karting, he kept saying he would wait for my kart to get on the track before going, but he kept driving off and by the time i got out there we were 1/2 track apart and running identical lap times).
LIES! LIES AND SLANDER!
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

gotta love "proof".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HHpI3F9yw

i'm the guy the camera mainly follows, my g/f is horrible videographer, and he's the guy in the red suit, white-ish kart, with the black helmet (~49s in is him).

32hp karts. 0-100 in 3 secs. supposedly...

[CORRECTED]
Last edited by gizmo on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

ok, I admit to not waiting but it was actually a kinda difficult circumstance.

first off, the on board starters on our karts didn't work (wtf was up with that? i think they had the batteries taken off) so we had to be started with an external starter, and could not leave the pits immediately after one another. The track was also really busy b/c it was getting later in the day and people were practicing for the races that night, so it was hard for me to keep track of where gizmo was. Also, there were different classes of karts on the track at once, so I was preoccupied between finding gizmo, letting the fast guys pass me, deciding if I should pass karts that I'm way faster then on the straights but are faster then me in the corners since i suck, all in addition to actually learning how to drive the kart that I had less then an hour of time in.

anyway, i'd love to race everyone here in iRacing. Although popular, then $400 wheels are not necessary, like I said before I got my wheel which retails for $100 for ~$60 new. before that I used a $10 off ebay for years. The memberships and content are still expensive, but they've actually lowered the rates a few months ago. There's also usually incentives you can take advantage of for both new and existing members.

If you already have a sufficient computer, I think you could get going with a 3 month subscription, basic content and a cheap wheel for $100.

For me, iRacing is worth it. Just yesterday I had one of the best races ever, me and 2 other guys dicing for the whole race in the skippy at mosport. After the race, the feeling I had was just like I get after I have a good race in a real life car or kart.

btw, if your interested in signing up let me know if you want to use me as a referral. I'm not sure if there's any benefit to you, but I get a credit.
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

i'd be happy to use you as a referral.

how do i go about getting the $10.00 racing wheel.

i think i may need a videocard upgrade and ram upgrade:

Dell computer (for $600 bucks, 2 year warranty, couldn't beat it if i built it myself when i bought it 2.5 years ago)
win7x64 (free from school)
quad core Q6600
2GB DDR2RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8300GS
etc.

if i can get some definite figures, i'd be happy to race ra64t on iRacing.

and ra64t, i was just pulling your chain, they had a backyard operation going there so we had no chance of actually racing how we had hoped.

how much faster were some of those karts... jesus... if we had 32hp, how in the world could some of them be so much more powerful (we were flying but they flew)
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

that computer sounds like enough, I would just run with that. You might not be able to run the highest graphic settings, but low to mid settings and you should get a decent frame rate.

I actually got the first wheel off ebay, even after shipping it was like 12-13 bucks to my door.

There were a few shifters out there that have at least a few more HP. Some run motocross based engines, some run dedicated karting motors (ICC) either way I think they are 40 something hp. They also accelerate off the line way better then TAG, the TAG engines are a bit sluggish off the line, then pull like mad from ~30mph or something up to top speed.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

if you find another place running those types of karts on an outdoor track that really lets them run free and beats on them just the same, and it's 8 hours from NY, then i'm game (for the right price).

that being said, give me the steering wheel model so i can grab it from wherever.

also, what are the iracing memberships going for?
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

pm me your email so i can put you as the referent.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

The $10 wheel was the logitech formula GP, my current wheel is the logitech momo, there's also a logitech formula force.

don't know the membership rates of the top of my head but i think $7-15 or so a month depending on length of membership
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

you there. about to race. wanna lead me around? found a wheel in the attic. no idea if it works.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

206 ping?
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

sorry, was busy this evening and need to get some sleep now. But lets find a time to get on the same practice server.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

lol. it's cool. i've been having a weird day anyway. i wanted to sign up, but before i could do that, i needed your email. and you were there one minute and gone the next. but i can't even login now. before i couldn't "test". i got "loading error 69" (children, refrain from immature comments), so i don't even know if i can get this thing operational.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

wierd. never had that problem.

i was just watching the video again... are your sure I'm in the white suit?? I could have swarn I was in the red suit, black helmet, the guy right behind the white suit white kart #44 are the beginning. But at this point, I don't remember clearly. I'm certain my kart was not all white, it was a CRG paint scheme like this:

http://www.kartcrg.com/ingl/home_ingl.htm
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

i honestly have no idea.

just ran 45 minutes on laguna seca. this game is definitely more "realistic" than other games -- but it's still just a game. the pedal inputs are the only really trait it has that i feel directly translates to real life. i've never driven a legend car, and i'm not about to spend 22 bucks to race a late model or a whelen modified (two i have raced), but without having an actual car underneath me, without feeling gravity push and pull the car, it's hard to run the car as easily and as fast as i would in real life. i have always been able to go out, race at the edge of my comfort zone, without getting into trouble. immediately i couldn't run 50% of my comfort zone without trading paint with every part of the track. you would think i was on a legend car scavenger hunt. or at times auditioning for a stunt devil show where the stunt goes wrong.

with practice, i will obviously adapt to the game's "limitations", but i'm going to say there's an obvious chasm between sim racing and real racing. but i'll also say that this sim will do about a good a good job as any other game i've played in preparing a driver for the track. but until i buy a modified (11 dollars in this game, lol) and race that on a road course, i won't be able to tell you how real it is, because i'm very familiar with the modifieds.
Last edited by gizmo on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.