Drifting

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Drifting

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tups wrote:
Caramel wrote:if you could actually do battle like that, drift and fire shots from the tank, you'd be set.
The Slow and The Hideous: Stalingrad Drift?
Tanks aren't hideous. They are machines whose form follows function to the nth degree, because lives depend on it. They are beautiful to those they matter to.

Instead, how about "The Slow and the Injurious"?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

by the way... just noticed that we havent talked about arab drifting at all yet...

Ofcourse they crash too... and when they crash, there will be damage done

13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I wouldn't really call that drifting
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mad_finn »

well probably not drifting actually... but anyway, the car is going sideways, on purpose, one way or another, and they try to keep the speed up and control it as long as it is possible, ok they do it on straight road, but basicly that is only thing wich make it different than what "we" do.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Roymond
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Roymond »

Drifting is being discussed and videos posted but not this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNzkutTiGs
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Roymond wrote:Drifting is being discussed and videos posted but not this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNzkutTiGs
I nevva unnerstood Y they built those old military airport runways like they did - I've never seen a plane pull more than 1/4g while taxiing. It's like building Imax theatres for the blind!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mad_finn »

Came in to my mind...

when you learn how to drift, you will be safer driver, because then you know how your car behaves if you lose control...
I mean like situation like, your driving on some old and but winding main road but still keep up with bit higer speed... then suddenly some animal jumps on the road, and you swerve to avoid it, but did it too hastly, and start sliding... what are you going to do?

Well at least you know where you'r front wheels are pointing (at least you should), you know wich way you are going (off the road if you cant get your car under control soon), how would you keep that car on the road? even though you know (or at least belive) you cant get the grip back in time, to save you from this situation.

well you should learn how to drift.

on first summer after I got my lisence I went to track... and parkinglots and such safe places, to learn how does the car behave... I bought stack of used tires (more than 1.6mm tread still on) on that summer, I skidded and slided and afterall I learned the behaveor of the car, actually I destroyed 20 sets of (used)tires in 1 summer :shock: but at least now I can claim that there is't too many situations that I couldnt escape without a scratch.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

ive learned plenty of things about drifting from his videos. the "drift bible"
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

when the back steps out in the 2 I've already dialed in the counter steer... with a short wheel base car it needs to be instinctive or else you will spin out. but as long as you don't push the cars limits you don't really need to know how.... also you need to keep practicing so either go to a track or do it on the streets dangerously... so i don't really buy into the argument that it makes you a safer driver knowing how to drift... it might make you a 'better' driving, but safer i'm not so sure... as my skills have improved, how hard i drive has increased, so the skills are needed just to keep me par...
<3 fwd
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I never realized how much of a difference an LSD makes for sliding until I got my Z (has one stock). My Mustang didn't have one :( So I was never really able to get much of a drift going.

Well the first night I took my Z out I decided to do a 180 U Turn from a stand still and damn. I just revved it a bit, let the clutch out quick, and tires were going up in smoke as I executed a flawless 180. It was epic. I cannot wait to see what else I can do with the Z once I actually get to drive it :D
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I hear that. :mrgreen:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

drifting in my truck is damn near impossible because of the open differential. god i hate when i tell people that and the first thing they say is "weld the differential together. thats what the pros do!" no. pros get LSDs so they still have an "open" differential through the corners but it locks up rapidly when the speed on opposite tires gets to far apart. and then when i ask them if they even know what spider gears are in a differential they just shrug. so blinded by their fast and the furious movies...