Stockcar Racing School

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Stockcar Racing School

Post by gizmo »

I got a good deal to race a stockcar at a .625 mile short track. 28 degree enbankments. Gonna go 70 laps. They're offering me a DVD of the exerience for $149.00. What do you guys think -- is the DVD worth it? (Considering I shouldn't have spent the money on the school, despite the deal, in the first place...)

No lead car. Just moi.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Re: Stockcar Racing School

Post by Leedeth »

WTF? DVDs should cost 10 or 20 bucks tops.
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

What do they record? Your actual driving in-car driving, hopefully, with cool flyby views, in-car G meter, throttle sensor, footbox, and random cuts to a view next to your tires?

You don't want to spend $150 only find a little something blocking the entire view. :lol:
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

thats awesome man. I wouldn't pay 150 to have it recorded though, just bring a friend with a camera or something.

how much did the school cost?

I just dropped 3gs for a 3 day formula car racing school and I'm really excited!
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

The cam has a passengers eye view of the roadway, obviously without the ability to look beyond turns.

The school was cheap. Probably less than the tax on your 3 day school -- lol. I would try getting my own race car before going to another school.

I wish I had 3K for a school. I know it's probably worth every penny but I'd much rather just have my own car.

But life, schoool, etc.... got the better of me. I shouldn't have been financially irresponsible when paying for this -- my dad wouldn't have been pleased.
Damus
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda6

Post by Damus »

ra64t wrote:thats awesome man. I wouldn't pay 150 to have it recorded though, just bring a friend with a camera or something.

I just dropped 3gs for a 3 day formula car racing school and I'm really excited!

Lucky.
I am the torque converter.
Roymond
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Roymond »

You guys are lucky just to have tracks you can take your cars on. It's 900 bucks for 50 laps at a track probably 3 hours away.

I'd just be happy to take my car on a track and have some fun with it.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

375 bucks will get you 16 laps on a 5/8 oval with a professional instructor. a "real" racing school, not an "experience".
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

thompson ct (5 minutes from MA border)
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

over by union connecticut? thats like an hour and 15 minutes away from where i live.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ra64t wrote:thats awesome man. I wouldn't pay 150 to have it recorded though, just bring a friend with a camera or something.

I found these (ggg) over in a snow bank - yours?

Oh, ann I bed the Stockcar beats the school. You can make fun of the stockcar, because it has a carburetor, but the school doesn't EVEN have a carburetor.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

Rope-Pusher wrote:

Oh, ann I bed the Stockcar beats the school. You can make fun of the stockcar, because it has a carburetor, but the school doesn't EVEN have a carburetor.
Rope-Pusher wrote:

sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not mean I literally dropped three letter 'g's. colloqually, the phrase means I paid $3000.

btw, sorry but I don't know who Ann is. I also don't know what it means to bed a stockcar. Is that something you do for race preparation? I agree that stockcars have carburetors while schools do not, among many other things.
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

half of the time i never know what to think of rope pusher's comments. maybe he's merely reflecting mine?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

gizmo wrote:half of the time i never know what to think of rope pusher's comments. maybe he's merely reflecting mine in a fun-house mirror?
Bye taking ewer posts at they're moats liberal interpretations, I'm tryin' to goad use guise into bean mower precise inn ewer yous of the Engristch languish.

'Snot workin'!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

I had a professor once that swore the phrase, "...but the queen was better than her," was grammatically incorrect. (It should technically read, according to prescriptivist language, "...but the queen was better than she."

I hadn't the guts to challenge him, but I would argue, albeit with little credible base, that the former phrase was indeed correct, but I couldn't find the name of the rule to justify my claim. The rule is, from what I recall, that the object may be used to signify the omission of the verb (is). But again, the name to that rule, should it exist, still eludes me.

As far as my own grammar goes, besides being too lazy to correct obvious mistakes that detract nothing from the point, I don't see anything overtly wrong with what I've written. Should that speak to your cause then I'd much rather welcome direct observations/references/corrections than the seemingly codified mimicry.

As far as the rest of the forum's posts goes, I've come to accept most of them as the currently accepted vernacular. For example: I had to answer the phone at my job recently. I rarely receive phone calls. To determine information about the caller, I asked, "with whom am I speaking," and the caller, extremely befuddled, grunted, "huh?!??." To again determine information about the caller, without adding any futher confusion, I asked again, with a slight tone of defeat, "who am I speaking to," and immediately received the information I initially sought. I still argue that the only person at fault on that conversation was I.

I'm also a big fan of ensuring an object follows a preposition. But sometimes, especially during impromptu speech, I find adherence to that rule using techniques like "on which, in which, etc" come across as grammatical tourniquets; instead the sentence should have been better structured from the onset, which is often difficult during impromptu speech, or the sentence should just flow more naturally, ending with the preposition one so desperately tries to avoid.

I'm not going to proofread this post, I spent far more time typing it than it deserves. It is extremely likely an innocuous thought I'd just as soon retract but I'll post it for now.

ADDENDUM: often i presume anything that leaves an opening for a joke you exploit, however suspect the exploit.