DSG: Stick Shift RIP

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

DSG: Stick Shift RIP

Post by Standardshifter »

From the same folks that brought you, "article blasts manual transmission: difficult and dangerous"
http://standardshift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1106

comes "DSG: Stick Shift RIP"

"And here’s where the culture wars begin. Two years ago, Bob Elton’s editorial “Death to the Stick Shift” suggested that cars equipped with an automatic gearbox were safer, more reliable and more pleasurable than their manual equivalents. Enthusiasts considered the proposition a personal affront. Two years of flame mail leads me to conclude that stickshifters-- a self-selecting community of motorists who cherish the skill and pleasure that only a manual transmission can provide-- consider autoboxers less competent, safe and passionate. Many of these tripedalists will not take kindly to the DSG; it’s a bridge from the know-nothing rabble to the self-proclaimed automotive elite. The barbarians are at the shift gate; The Volkswagen Group has unlocked the door."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/conten ... /index.php

Audio Version: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/conten ... ft_RIP.MP3
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

I found the following two paragraphs berating manual-automatics in the last editorial interesting:

"The manually shifted automatic transmission seems to offer a compromise solution. These systems give enthusiast drivers the option of overriding the automatic function with either a separate gate to manipulate the transmission's logic circuit, or paddle shifters that ape the controls of a Formula One car. It’s a logical “cake and eat it too” solution.

Though admirably sophisticated, the combined manual - automatic transmission is a technological dead-end. By the middle of the last century, many American automobiles used variations of the semi-automatic transmission. None survived the development of the automatic transmission, for four good reasons: safety, reliability, driving pleasure and, above all, common sense."

Reliability has improved, but the act of shifting for yourself, minus the clutch pedal, hasn't with DSG; is not safety, driving pleasure and common sense still issues with the newest versions of manual - automatic transmissions?
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
axiomofchoice
Junior Standardshifter

Post by axiomofchoice »

This is a particularly interesting quotation:

"Once [stickshifters] get behind the wheel of a DSG-equipped machine like the new Audi A3 or the VW R32, even the hardiest of these manual transmission diehards will understand the system’s clear superiority; in terms of speed, safety and, most importantly of all, enjoyment."

Enjoyment...right.
starshifter
Senior Standardshifter

Post by starshifter »

I used to see DSG as a clear sign of the impending death of the manual transmission, but I'm not so sure anymore. Americans are happy with dull 4-speed automatics. The Japanese haven't shown much interest in developing clutchless manuals and most Europeans don't want to pay 5,000 extra euros to save exercising their left foot. It's a shame that many new Corvettes have 6-speed automatics with paddles, but those seem to only appeal to the 50+ age group. Besides the Z06 is still exclusively available with a 6-speed manual.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

axiomofchoice wrote:This is a particularly interesting quotation:

"Once [stickshifters] get behind the wheel of a DSG-equipped machine like the new Audi A3 or the VW R32, even the hardiest of these manual transmission diehards will understand the system’s clear superiority; in terms of speed, safety and, most importantly of all, enjoyment."

Enjoyment...right.
All reviews i've read of dsg-equipped vw/audi cars have said they don't like it as much as the true manual :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

In the article (i'm too lazy to qute it) he talks about how when you're shifting you cant brake if needed (ie. emergency vehicles, idiots cutting you off etc...) You could either A) heel toes , or B) abort the shift and slam on the brakes. I've had to decide to either pop it into neurtal and brake, or (in worst case scenarios) slam on the brakes and stall the car. Its not that big a deal to have three pedals. If it were such a problem they would make it illegal. Until then:

Long Live the Standard Transmition!

if they banned it i wouldnt have anyting to do in my Computer Programing Class :D
JlNba ittai
Junior Standardshifter

Post by JlNba ittai »

axiomofchoice wrote:This is a particularly interesting quotation:

Enjoyment...right.
Maybe you have never driven a DSG equipped car have you?
It is a dual clutch system... 1 more than yours.
It shifts faster than any other auto or manual car an this planet.
The DSG shifts so fast it is banned from F1 races. It's just that good. It is almost like cheating.
It is a fun car to drive.

Semi autos, on the other hand, can rot since they are rubbish.
HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

^^^ pulling stuff out of your ass with nothing to back it up is fun isn't it?
'06 SEAT Ibiza
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Actually, the DSG does have 2 clutches and it does shift very fast (faster than alal autos and manuals, I dunno, but it is faster than most manuals). However, enthusiasts still like the stick version better.