Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males

Post by Standardshifter »

Old news, but good news:

"In an effort to improve attention while driving, one study investigated the benefits of manual vs. automatic transmission. The rationale for this study was that manual transmission requires more driver engagement, and if the driver is inattentive then the immediate feedback of a stalled car or grinding gears would discourage inattention. In fact, that’s exactly what they found"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/artic ... 8/#S2title

Link to the study (and others) from the above page.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Standardshifter wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am Old news, but good news:

"In an effort to improve attention while driving, one study investigated the benefits of manual vs. automatic transmission. The rationale for this study was that manual transmission requires more driver engagement, and if the driver is inattentive then the immediate feedback of a stalled car or grinding gears would discourage inattention. In fact, that’s exactly what they found"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/artic ... 8/#S2title

Link to the study (and others) from the above page.
Engagement?.....Engagement?!!!! This is all so sudden. I didn't expect it. We hardly know each other. I'd need time.....YES YES!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Manual transmission enhances attention and driving performance of ADHD adolescent males

Post by potownrob »

wile eye like that they support the dying manual trans mission, a big part of me disagrees in part about the attention thing. ones (ore twice) eye got good at driving manual (ha!), eye dint find myself having to pay munch attention to my driving, inn general. the art tickle was about people with ADHD but, having been diagnosed with ADD as a kid and having taken ritalin until eye was in my late teens (only stopped due to interference when i had Lymes disease in my late teens - the ritalin turned me into an antisocial zombie), eye can relate to people with attention issues, but eye still never really found the manual to require much more conscious attention, wons eye got the shifting down. it became, dare eye say eat, automatic... :shock: :evil: :twisted: :arrow: 8) :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The summary doesn't discuss how accomplished their test subjects were and I'm not seeing a full-text link that doesn't require registration. That would be an interesting variable to consider.

Even once the mechanics are, well, mechanical, it does probably provide most a little extra incentive to look ahead and make sure the gear selection is appropriate so they don't get behind the car.

I don't think it makes me a lot of difference either... Not because I don't think about what I anticipate happening and what gear is likely to be appropriate in a manual, but because I go through those same thought processes in an automatic, with the additional factors of whether the transmission is going to try to do something inappropriate and whether I can do anything about it.