Mercedes to Shun the Amish

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Mercedes to Shun the Amish

Post by Rope-Pusher »

German marque is keen to simplify its range and cut costs, and fan favourites have entered the crosshairs

No timeline has yet been given for Mercedes' elimination of manual gearboxes, although it will likely be achieved by phasing out cars with the option as automatic-only replacements are launched. The firm has also given no details of how many combustion engines it plans to cull.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... owertrains
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Mercedes to Shun the Amish

Post by ClutchFork »

Gimme a car company that ONLY makes manual transmission cars. If I had Bill Gates' money I would do that with it instead of whatever philanthropic stuff he does. Then if anyone wants an automatic at my car dealer, I'll show them the door. :lol:

Recently read about a racer who messed his arm up so he could not throw a forward shift. He strapped a bungee cord from the firewall to the shift lever and it would pull the 2-3 shift for him. That would get him down the drag strip. Ha ha. I suppose a Lenco tranny would have worked for him too.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I doubt he'd buy just a door if he came there looking for a slushbox car to buy, but give it a try and let us know how it goes.

What do I know? This guy seems happy to get a door and a few other parts.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 am I doubt he'd buy just a door if he came there looking for a slushbox car to buy, but give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I have seen people that happy just pulling stuff out of other people's garbage. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:03 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 am I doubt he'd buy just a door if he came there looking for a slushbox car to buy, but give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I have seen people that happy just pulling stuff out of other people's garbage. :lol:
reminds me of the guy who sits in his car on our street the day before garbage day (and sometimes on garbage day), waiting for people to put their garbage and recycling out to the road. eye believe he even upgraded his ride at some point in the past year or so. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.