https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzyKM1RS1Xg
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: How to Operate a Manual Transmission 101 Video

Post by tankinbeans »

Interesting video, though the passing mention of a revmatch irked me. That should be a more integral part of the learning process in my opinion, but I guess it's just not a common enough thing to worry about.

A random unscientific sampl8ng of my friends indicates that they mostly do the slow, steady release versus blip and shift.

Then there are the Scotty Kilmer YouBook videos. Hooboy...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 pm Interesting video, though the passing mention of a revmatch irked me. That should be a more integral part of the learning process in my opinion, but I guess it's just not a common enough thing to worry about.

A random unscientific sampl8ng of my friends indicates that they mostly do the slow, steady release versus blip and shift.

can't stand the slow release, even though i occasionally end up doing it (or a small version of one) out of laziness or misjudgment. i never just downshift from like 6th to 3rd without rev-matching though (unless i've slowed down to 3rd's natural terrortory). what are the kilmer videos about? i've seen some of his videos (and some parodies too), but haven't seen any manual shift videos of his.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 pm Interesting video, though the passing mention of a revmatch irked me. That should be a more integral part of the learning process in my opinion, but I guess it's just not a common enough thing to worry about.

i can understand where he/whoever may have written the script was coming from in everything shown in the video, but i agree to tell the noobs it's ok to ease out the clutch on downshifts (without specifying in which scenarios), is not good. then he touches on rev-matching but doesn't go into any real detail and says it's not required. then they tease the noobs with heel-toe (which is not even a beginner technique).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

There's one Kilmer video where he effectively says that you should never downshift unless you're stopping. I thought to myself watching that if I'm slowing and the car is struggling I need to downshift. Any new guy watching that might take it as gospel and could bung him or herself up.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 am There's one Kilmer video where he effectively says that you should never downshift unless you're stopping. I thought to myself watching that if I'm slowing and the car is struggling I need to downshift. Any new guy watching that might take it as gospel and could bung him or herself up.
wait, that may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard...gonna have to find me that video...downshifting is not an optional skill or technique; you need to downshift when slowing down, going up steep hills etc... :x
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Here it is, perhaps your impressions are different than mine.

https://youtu.be/-xXexeLIjOk
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 pm Here it is, perhaps your impressions are different than mine.

https://youtu.be/-xXexeLIjOk
Ok, that was actually overall a good video. I think he just oversimplified the no downshift thing In not fully explaining the circumstances he was referring to.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Found a more detailed video. This guy must be cow as the video is essentially cow's meta-sig.

https://youtu.be/l9HfiYOmsPk
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The "No Down-Shifting" thing bears detailed 'splainin'.

Brakes are cheaper than clutch and synchros for slowing a vehicle down.

I hain't sayin' you can't grab a lower gear on a long downhill to avoid overheating your brakes.

I hain't sayin' you cain prepare for accelerating by grabbing a lower gear ahead of time.

I'm sayin' that to use downshifting as a substituate fur using the break petal is an expensive and waistful way of scrubbing off speed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"