BMW M Committed to Manual Transmissions—for Now

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

BMW M Committed to Manual Transmissions—for Now

Post by Standardshifter »

"Now, being an engineer, I would say from a rational standpoint that even though the manual gearbox is lighter than an automated gearbox, it uses more fuel and is slower, so it doesn’t really make sense . . . But from the emotional standpoint, a lot of customers say, ‘I don’t care, I want to have one.’ As long as we have these take rates on M2, and also the M3 and M4, we’re going to offer manuals, because we listen to our customers."

Get out and buy new cars with manuals folks! :D

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bmw-m ... 00622.html
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: BMW M Committed to Manual Transmissions—for Now

Post by tankinbeans »

This might be one of the things that gets me into a BMW in the future, specifically if they're the last man standing. I'm hoping Mazda continues to offer them.

With Ford giving all of their cars the ax they're now auto only. I don't know if GM offers them in much anymore and I think the only FCA product, which isn't a toller skate, that offers one is the Challenger (possibly the Renegade).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

FCA has a few. Wrangler, Renegade, Challenger, Rams with the Cummins, and a few of the Fiat and Alfa offerings that I dont know anything about on purpose.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Compass can be Amish as well. I think the Ram 2500/3500 with Cummins Diesel was ostrich-sized and has left the Amish community....but if one, or two, were to venture to sunny Mexico, they might find a Ram 4000 with 5.7L Hemi and an Amish 5-Speed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"