All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Go!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/20 ... -01-e.html

GO DATSUN GO
Last year Nissan announced it’s reviving the Datsun brand to sell in emerging markets. Earlier today the company introduced the first car it will sell. Called the GO, it’s a five-door, front-wheel drive hatchback, that’s powered by a 1.2 liter engine which is mated to a five-speed manual transmission. The styling was done in Japan but the rest of the development was done in India, to reflect that market’s taste in cars. The GO will be built in India and goes on sale in that country early next year with a price just under $6,700.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Go!

Post by ClutchFork »

I remember the Datsun back when I was in High School. Then one day there was Nissan. Never did hear why they figured to change the name, must have been bought out by Nissan, or what?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

It's a subcompact that doesn't look like fertilizer!

I think I like it. I'd be curious to know if that car would even be vaguely feasible on U.S. roads.

I'd think the 0-60 time, irrelevant though it may be (the point of which is arguable), would be a deal killer for some. I read around and see the people who seem to think that a 0-60 in over 10 seconds is a death trap. Personally, I've never explored the 0-60 in any car before. I have met every inch of the tach in a 2010 Accent, rental, getting on the freeway but never felt unsafe in it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Krimsalt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Krimsalt »

InlinePaul wrote:I remember the Datsun back when I was in High School. Then one day there was Nissan. Never did hear why they figured to change the name, must have been bought out by Nissan, or what?
During the anti-japanese times of the second WW people didn't like the brand datsun because of hte link it had to the japanese in WWII. Now people are over it, or no longer know that Datsun supplied vehicles to the japanese military.. unless they studied automotive history lol
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Krimsalt wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:...I remember the Datsun back when I was in High School.
During the anti-japanese times of the second WW people didn't like the brand datsun because of hte link it had to the japanese in WWII. ...
I ain't that old! :lol: My sig says driving stick since '77 not '47! :lol:

But yeah, they were called Datsuns in the 1970s too. And thanks for the historical perspective.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

http://www.autofieldguide.com/blog/post ... sun-go-why

Moar info-n-images & the history of the Datsun name!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Not bad. Nice uncluttered instrument panel, simple HVAC controls. No fancy stuff. Would be hard to get used to driving from the right side, though I understand the left most pedal still is the clutch. Left handed shifting would be pretty weird.
Stick shiftin since '77
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

It's only weird for a minute. Then you stop smashing your hand.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Looks like a nice subcompact. No U.S. version? :(
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:It's only weird for a minute. Then you stop smashing your hand.
Since the spambot necroed the thread, it looks like there is theoretically room for 3 up front with no center console. Do my eyes deceive me?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I also remember the Datsuns in High School in the 70's and early 80's The 310, B210, 510 and the 240-60 & 80Z. Liked the early Datsun Z cars until they became the bloated 280 ZX 2+2 or whatever they called them. I remember driving a Datsun 310. Seem to remember 1st gear being in the bottom left corner. Drove a B210 that had the gears in the normal H pattern. By the mid 80's they were called Nissan, as I remember a good friend buying a new 85 Nissan Pulsar.
InlinePaul wrote:I remember the Datsun back when I was in High School. Then one day there was Nissan. Never did hear why they figured to change the name, must have been bought out by Nissan, or what?
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:
watkins wrote:It's only weird for a minute. Then you stop smashing your hand.
Since the spambot necroed the thread, it looks like there is theoretically room for 3 up front with no center console. Do my eyes deceive me?
In a bigger car, perhaps. I think the size of the vehicle isn't quite apparent. I feel like the people up front won't have a ton of room though it is a subcompact so... that's expected.

It's probably just two seats without the armrest.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Oh and even if that car were a left side driving position, it would take some getting used to for that weird shifter location. Do the shift throws go up and down instead of the traditional forward and backward? Kinda inbetween of a column shifter and a floor shifter.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

There have been a scant few cars with the shifter in that position in the US but I think they're a bit more common on other continents. We do have some automatics whose PRNDL shifter is there in minivans and SUVs though.

I've asked about it before and people say it's comfortable but it looks like a hassle to me.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Wasn't the SI an up/down pattern for awhile?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport