Stick shift trend 1950-2011

All the news that's fit to shift.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Stick shift trend 1950-2011

Post by Boston Fit »

Here's a cool graph from this NPR story, plotting U.S. manual vs. automatic sales since 1950.

I was surprised to see the following ...

• How steep the curves are between 1950-1970, when manuals plummeted from 67% to about 10%.

• The blip in manual sales around 1980, which I assume was tied to the 1970's oil crisis at a time when manuals delivered dramatically better gas mileage.

• How flat the curves have been since 1990. Somehow I would have expected a steeper decline in manual sales over that period of time.

• Manual sales in 1970 are almost identical to 2011 (approx. 9-10%). I would have guessed a higher sales rate in 1970.

I'm sure the underlying data is already well-known to stick enthusiasts, but it was interesting to see the graph.
2013 Honda Civic Si
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Stick shift trend 1950-2011

Post by Squint »

Interesting story and graph. There are a few companies that still push the manual (Mini, for example) but most are cutting back. My question, what vehicles did they take into consideration for their information? All vehicles sold? Consumer vehicles vs commercial vehicles? But I completely agree with the C&D guy, people need to get off the technology (not that it isn't cool to have, but use it appropriately) and have fun driving.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Wow....I would have expected a steeper decline than what is represented on the graph. Maybe things aren't as bad as I had thought.
Last edited by Shadow on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I wonder how they are classifying the various automated manual transmissions? Maybe they are lumping them in with the true manual transmissions???
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I would like to see as well, Shadow. Because I thought it would have declined more in the recent years.

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote:I would like to see as well, Shadow. Because I thought it would have declined more in the recent years.
Yeah, that occurred to me a minute or two after my first response. A good example is the smart fortwo. In the U.S. it only comes with an automated manual transmission, which by design, is basically a manual gearbox that has an automated clutch solenoid that enables it to shift itself. But if you were to look at the gearbox, it's basically a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. So how would it be classified? We all know it's not a true manual transmission, but it's also hard to call it an automatic transmission, despite the fact that it has the ability to shift itself. The lines have blurred with all of the various dual-clutch and automated manuals out there these days...
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Shadow - Good question, about how automated manuals and the like get classified. I would be surprised if it affects overall numbers very much, though. For what it's worth, the manual transmissions that I love have three pedals. That's what makes it fun.

By the way, however you want to categorize it, the Smart ForTwo has the worst transmission I've ever experienced. Shifts are slow and jerky, the gear selector works when it wants to ... the car is like a prototype that never should have been released to market.

2013 Honda Civic Si
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Boston Fit wrote:
By the way, however you want to categorize it, the Smart ForTwo has the worst transmission I've ever experienced. Shifts are slow and jerky, the gear selector works when it wants to ... the car is like a prototype that never should have been released to market.

Thank you. It is terrible. My brother-in-law had one, and I was NOT impressed at all. There are far better small cars with small transmissions out there...

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Boston Fit wrote:
Shadow - Good question, about how automated manuals and the like get classified. I would be surprised if it affects overall numbers very much, though. For what it's worth, the manual transmissions that I love have three pedals. That's what makes it fun.

I wonder if there are more automated manual vehicles sold today than true manual vehicles....the numbers certainly must be catching up, no? I mean, if we lump together all the various types of automated manuals, I'd think it would be a significant number.

I agree about the smart car. The transmission is a nightmare. A co-worker of mine had one and she got rid of it mainly because she couldn't deal with the herky-jerky transmission.