All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

"Hello, I'm Mr. Ed!"

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A car is a car, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a car of course
That is, of course, unless the car is the famous Mister Ed.
Go right to the source and ask the car
He'll give you the answer that you'll disregard.
He's always linked to OnStar.
Talk to Mister Ed.
People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day
But Mr. Ed will never speak unless he has something to say
A car is a car, of course, of course,
And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.
You never heard of a talking car?
Well listen to this: "I'm Mister Ed."

From the DEEtroit News:

Autos may soon have 'conversations'

8 automakers refine technology that helps avert crashes

DAVID SHEPARDSON
Detroit News Washington Bureau

A group of eight automakers that includes Ford Motor Co., General Motors Co., Toyota Motor Corp. and Volkswagen AG is working in Farmington Hills on technology to enable vehicles to talk to each other, to prevent crashes.

Ford demonstrated the emerging technology on three Escape SUVs Tuesday, ahead of this week's Washington Auto Show.

"If every car had it, it would be like another pair of eyes," said Mike Shulman, technical research leader at Ford's active safety research and advanced engineering team. "You wouldn't know it was there unless you need it."

The wireless technology alerts drivers to oncoming vehicles, when other technologies such as radar are unable to pick up on their approach. It sends out the vehicle's position 10 times a second.

Working with funding from the Transportation Department, the automakers' consortium plans to build 64 vehicles — eight from each — and retrofit 2,000 vehicles on the road for a study of technology next year. The test site hasn't been decided.

"It can't just be a Ford-only system because we need to get messages from Hondas, Hyundais, Kias and send them data," Shulman said.

But there are lots of concerns that have to be addressed, including security. "How do you make sure some bright college kid with a laptop is not sending out messages," Shulman said.

Peter Appel of the U.S. Department of Transportation said the government "is helping to lay the groundwork for a national system where all cars, trucks, buses and trains are aware of other vehicles around them." He said connected vehicles "will significantly reduce crashes and generate enormous amounts of new data about travel — data that will make our transportation system safer, more efficient and even 'greener.'"

Ford's vehicle communications technology allows cars to talk wirelessly with one another using a short-range dedicated communications network.

Vehicles will warn drivers of potential dangers, particularly those not detected with radar or that are not perceived because of weather, distance, or other cars or objects impeding the driver's view.

For example, drivers would be alerted if their car is on path to collide with another at a four-way intersection or when a car several vehicles ahead slams on the brakes.

Additional Facts
Street smart
Cars aren’t the only things getting "smart." The Michigan Department of Transportation this fall unveiled smart traffic signals from Nine Mile to 14 Mile on Telegraph Road. They are intended to smooth traffic flow along the busy Oakland County thoroughfare.
The signals will alert drivers of next-generation vehicles about coming red lights and tell them to slow down or speed up to avoid stopping.

"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: "Hello, I'm Mr. Ed!"

Post by watkins »

Yuck!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: "Hello, I'm Mr. Ed!"

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I've heard of this before. They then gave instances where cars entering thick fog would signal cars behind them to slow down. It sounded like it would just be a message on a display screen. To get any real effectiveness, nearly all vehicles would have to be retrofit. There are maybe 12 million new vehicles sold in North America each year, just a drop in the gas tank of the total number of registered vehicles.

It would have to be inexpensive to get many people to retrofit it - Maybe integrated into GPS systems?

Shirley, I don't want it to assume control of my vehicle in any way.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"