2011 Honda CR-Z

All the news that's fit to shift.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

2011 Honda CR-Z

Post by DKaz »

I didn't see a thread about this car yet. Yay or nay? I don't see myself being in the market for a two seater nor am I fond of the styling from the side (though rear and front quarter view the car looks nice), but we badly needed a car that refuted the notion that hybrids are boring and not fun to drive.

I like the 128 ft-lb of torque at 1,000 to 1,500 rpm and 122hp is pretty good for the 1.5L + IMA, although at 2,670 lb it's no lightweight car and the fuel mileage is not the greatest... the original Insight achieved 60MPG+ vs. 31/37 for the CR-Z.

In a way I want to find a reason to buy one just to reward Honda for releasing a product like this, it's a decent ode to the CRX with just a slight increase or weight to HP ratio (21.9 vs. 20.5), hopefully it handles decent, and it proves that the manual transmission can very well be a part of an environmentally friendlier future, but at the same time they could've done better. Still starting at under $20,000, it might be worth looking at. Thoughts?

http://cr-z.honda.com/

Because this is a In The News section, here are a few articles. lol.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/01/1 ... a-cr-z.htm
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10 ... s_and_info
Last edited by DKaz on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: 2011 Honda CR-Z

Post by FDSpirit »

Weren't they bragging about this being the successor to the CRX? I have yet to see "hybrid" and "fun" being used to describe a car. Maybe the original Insight, which offered a 5 speed. I'm put off by this car.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:Weren't they bragging about this being the successor to the CRX? I have yet to see "hybrid" and "fun" being used to describe a car. Maybe the original Insight, which offered a 5 speed. I'm put off by this car.
Still better than being put off by a sky marshal.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Anybody see the resemblance?

If it wasn't for that ugly grille, it'd be a kinda neato-looking car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Lol. I agree with the grill statement as well. It seems like that crazy grills are becoming the norm(Mazda with the Joker, Toyota with that hideous Camry grill). And many cars look more like spaceships than cars to me now.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Even on the revised EPA figures, there was a model of the original CRX 20+ years ago that got 41/49. Throw a hybrid driveline in it, and they manage to eke out 31/37. Color me unimpressed.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

They haven't been doing too well with their hybrids as of late. Didn't the Accord hybrid only manage to get single digit MPG gains over full gasoline version? I honestly didn't even know they made one until I took a trip to the Honda dealership.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Yup. I think Honda and Toyota are just relying on their reputations from the 90s and 80s to carry them. Honda seemed much more driver oriented in the older days. I understand the need to go green but they've killed off some of their most cherished cars(NSX, S2000, CRX) and just don't seem to care as much. I've said it here before. Jumping into a newer Civic compared to mine, the difference is, to me, night and day. The feel, response, and just plain fun of the newer ones just doesn't seem to be there at all. Hopefully they realize this. What happened to, "The power of dreams"? Toyota had great fun cars (Treuno, MR2s, Supras, Celicas, Altezza(IS300 in the states)). There are a few more that escape my mind, but they were more of just the point A to B guys that gave you no issues.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:Yup. I think Honda and Toyota are just relying on their reputations from the 90s and 80s to carry them. Honda seemed much more driver oriented in the older days. I understand the need to go green but they've killed off some of their most cherished cars(NSX, S2000, CRX) and just don't seem to care as much. I've said it here before. Jumping into a newer Civic compared to mine, the difference is, to me, night and day. The feel, response, and just plain fun of the newer ones just doesn't seem to be there at all. Hopefully they realize this. What happened to, "The power of dreams"? Toyota had great fun cars (Treuno, MR2s, Supras, Celicas, Altezza(IS300 in the states)). There are a few more that escape my mind, but they were more of just the point A to B guys that gave you no issues.
They are turning into DETROITERS! Competition to make a buck is so intense that it is sucking them into the vortex. I saw this all beginning when they dropped the double-wishbone suspension in the Civic (good enough for most folks). You guys are forgetting, or never knew, that Chrysler was once known for their superior engineering (4-wheel hydraulic brakes 1926, 4-wheel, self-energizing disk brakes 1949, 4-wheel ABS 1971, as examples). They also lead in uni-body construction, engines (pressurized lubrication, hemi heads, electronic ignition), alternators, power steering, 12 volt electrical systems, Lock-up torque converters & electronic shifting slushboxes)), but then old man Chrysler died and the old man after him died and times got hard and there is always a cheaper way to do things.....and they lost it.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

FDSpirit wrote:Yup. I think Honda and Toyota are just relying on their reputations from the 90s and 80s to carry them. Honda seemed much more driver oriented in the older days. I understand the need to go green but they've killed off some of their most cherished cars(NSX, S2000, CRX) and Ahem! RSX... and just don't seem to care as much. {. . .}
Totally agree with you.

I cannot believe they killed off the RSX. I still get at least 32...even on a bad tank with lots of wide open throttle. Why change something that was perfectly fine. I mean...200hp and 40mpg...how could you go wrong?

Well I will tell you how...with the CRZ. I mean seriously? 120hp? and heavier than an RSX....

Why the hell would you make something smaller and heavier...that just defeats the purpose. And underpower it at that.

That makes me almost want a prius. :shock:

Edit:
And also, yeah the driver days have changed. I feel like a driver in the RSX...wheel/shifter/seat....thats it! But i feel very very confused in something like the insight.

Oxymoron much? (paddle shifters + econ button) LOL
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

FDSpirit wrote:Yup. I think Honda and Toyota are just relying on their reputations from the 90s and 80s to carry them. Honda seemed much more driver oriented in the older days. I understand the need to go green but they've killed off some of their most cherished cars(NSX, S2000, CRX) and just don't seem to care as much. I've said it here before. Jumping into a newer Civic compared to mine, the difference is, to me, night and day. The feel, response, and just plain fun of the newer ones just doesn't seem to be there at all. Hopefully they realize this. What happened to, "The power of dreams"? Toyota had great fun cars (Treuno, MR2s, Supras, Celicas, Altezza(IS300 in the states)). There are a few more that escape my mind, but they were more of just the point A to B guys that gave you no issues.
Welcome to the North American market. Here, selling boring land boats makes money so this is where every manufacturer naturally gravitates.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Jastreb wrote:
Welcome to the North American market. Here, selling boring land boats makes money so this is where every manufacturer naturally gravitates.
PRECISELY! It's a prophet thang. The harder it is for them to make a profit, the more they will gravitate to the most profitable vehicles they can build and sell.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Toyota's Japanese car lineup:
http://toyota.jp/carlineup/index.html

Honda's Japanese car lineup:
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/

Nothing but appliances on wheels, except maybe, MAYBE, the Honda Civic Type R (Acura CSX in Canada), I'd rock that. Not the USDM Civic though. Ew.

With Subaru's new Legacy and Outback, I worry about them too although as long as they don't lose their way with the Imprezza.

Nissan's got one foot in the fun category and the other foot in the blah category.

Mazda, mostly good in my books, but I worry they'll eventually want to make a bigger profit although they certainly don't want a repeat of the 90s when they tried to be Toyota.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Mazda has "Z" in it. It better be good. And yes, so does the CR-Z. But that doesn't count.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

I loved the Celica, the Supra, the RSX and the Integra Type-R. I loved the fact that these cars (well most of them) still run today. And maybe a modern day Civic will last, but it ain't the same.