RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Re: Driving Skills Quiz

Post by RITmusic2k »

Ah, 95%...

I missed:

You may legally block an intersection:
Your Answer: If you have entered the intersection on a green light.
Right Answer: Under no circumstances.

I think that was a reading comprehension issue though; I imagined a scenario where I entered an intersection to turn left, and the light changed before I had the opportunity to complete my turn. Now I realize they're talking about traffic jam scenarios, where you're supposed to wait for a space to open up on the far side of the intersection before you pass through it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AFAIK, legally you're not allowed to enter the intersection to turn left unless you can actually complete your turn without stopping (and therefore becoming vulnerable to the light turning red over you). I have never heard of that being enforced.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
j_ortiz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '05 Toyota ECHO, '97 Terc

Post by j_ortiz »

I took it today with 95% (1 of 20 questions wrong). I don't understand why should I keep my wheels straight when stopped and waiting for a left turn, at least if I am first in line to do so... ;(

The other thing is yellow lights... I do know that the expected behavior and what is generally written in traffic laws is that you should stop unless too close to do so safely, but I dare any of you who haven't sometimes barrelled full-speed to avoid hitting the red one! :mrgreen: One thing's theory, practice and real life are another.

BTW in Europe traffic lights have 4 cycles: Green - Brief Yellow - Red - Brief Red with Yellow or all 3 lights On, to Green again. This is in fact a part of Europe's StandardShifter culture: The multi-light cycle, just before green, is given so drivers can put their cars in first gear and their feet in the clutch and gas pedals, in a continent where 80% of cars are our beloved stickshifts. In Slushland (North America) there is no fourth cycle, because all that 80% of drivers have to do, is to move their foot from brake to gas when green comes on, as the cars have been stopped at red on "D". :(
Last edited by j_ortiz on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[A] passenger asked the driver, "Why do you have to keep moving that stick?" - HM :)
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The answer for that one is that, if you are struck from behind while waiting for traffic, straight wheels will send you into the median (In most cases). Turned wheels will send you into oncoming traffic.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

j_ortiz wrote:I took it today with 95% (1 of 20 questions wrong). I don't understand why should I keep my wheels straight when stopped and waiting for a left turn, at least if I am first in line to do so... ;(

The other thing is yellow lights... I do know that the expected behavior and what is generally written in traffic laws is that you should stop unless too close to do so safely, but I dare any of you who haven't sometimes barrelled full-speed to avoid hitting the red one! :mrgreen: One thing's theory, practice and real life are another.

BTW in Europe traffic lights have 4 cycles: Green - Brief Yellow - Red - Brief Red with Yellow or all 3 lights On, to Green again. This is in fact a part of Europe's StandardShifter culture: The multi-light cycle, just before green, is given so drivers can put their cars in first gear and their feet in the clutch and gas pedals, in a continent where 80% of cars are our beloved stickshifts. In Slushland (North America) there is no fourth cycle, because all that 80% of drivers have to do, is to move their foot from brake to gas when green comes on, as the cars have been stopped at red on "D". :(
The answer for that one is that, if you are struck from behind while waiting for traffic, straight wheels will send you into the median (In most cases). Turned wheels will send you into oncoming traffic.
+1

It'd be nice if we had the red+yellow stage of a traffic light (or a timer showing how much time until green). Even if you're driving an automatic, you could better time your approach if you had that. I try to look at the lights on the perpendicular street, but sometimes you either can't see them very well during the day or you can't be sure whether or not you're going to get a green light when it turns red (green arrow).
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I suspect that introducing the additional stages of traffic light in the US would cause the following consequences:
- Confusion among the many feeble-minded drivers
- Increased aggression from people feeling encouraged to jump the gun
- Liability lawsuits from every accident that happens near a traffic light as lawyers seize the opportunity

Don't forget, those lights exist where driving requires more education and far more stringent testing.

nothfx
Senior Standardshifter

Post by nothfx »

Your results
Most states require a score of 80 or better to get a license.
You scored: 95
How you compare
The average score for MSN Money readers is 81
The average score for your state is 82
The average score for men is 83
The average score for women is 78

Regardless of what they say, this "wrong answer" is not accurate imo. When someone is passing you, it's generally a bad thing to change your speed, or do anything else unpredictable...

A vehicle is passing you on the left. You should:
Your answer: Keep driving at the same speed and do not slow down.
Right answer: Slow down slightly and keep to the right. After the vehicle passes and is ahead of you, resume your normal speed.
2006 Chevy Cobalt Coupe LS 5MT
2003 Ford Mustang GT 5MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

nothfx wrote:Regardless of what they say, this "wrong answer" is not accurate imo. When someone is passing you, it's generally a bad thing to change your speed, or do anything else unpredictable...

A vehicle is passing you on the left. You should:
Your answer: Keep driving at the same speed and do not slow down.
Right answer: Slow down slightly and keep to the right. After the vehicle passes and is ahead of you, resume your normal speed.
Amen to that. Being predictable is one of the most important things about driving, doubly so when someone is overtaking you.

fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

I got a 95.

Got this wrong:

If you approach an intersection at the same time as another vehicle, who has the right of way?
Your answer: The first one who enters the intersection.
Right answer: The driver on the right.

Honestly, this is not abided by. Anyone whos anyone, lets the person who got there first go.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Did you not read the question. If you arrive AT THE SAME TIME, then the driver to the right goes first. Otherwise clearly the first there is the first to go.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

And your father still smells of sea bass and dog shit
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

watkins wrote:Did you not read the question. If you arrive AT THE SAME TIME, then the driver to the right goes first. Otherwise clearly the first there is the first to go.
Ahh makes sense.

And even more so that its either right or left, because if two people facing each other let the right person go, then that is one line of travel for two cars.

When in doubt, person on right goes.
Makes sense 8)
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

85, I suck. I'd make excuses, but why bother.

This question is awesome:

7. A vehicle is passing you on the left. You should:
Speed up and make sure that the vehicle doesn't pass you.
Slow down slightly and keep to the right. After the vehicle passes and is ahead of you, resume your normal speed.
Keep driving at the same speed and do not slow down.
Come to a complete stop.

From the behavior of many drivers, you'd think the correct answer was B. "What you're passing ME? NO WAY!!"

I know I got the fog light/low beam one wrong. I thought it was low beams and fog lights together, honestly, but forced to pick between the two I went with the one with "fog" in the name. I got the "you should slow down for someone passing you" one wrong too, siding with predictability, though I suppose there's nothing wrong with slowing down and giving the car a larger pocket to enter. I don't remember the other one, but I sucked it up.

"as far as refusing breathalyzer, i could refuse to do anything til my lawyer gets there. by next morning when the lawyer gets there, id be sober. sleeping in the car on the side of the street is better than a DUI"--Roman
I have no idea how it varies state to state, but yes, not taking the test at all is akin to admitting guilt and crazy expensive. Like you're hinting at, the key to avoiding the DUI is stall, stall, stall, and sweat, sweat, sweat while you stall. Refuse the breathalyzer at the site. Refuse the coordination/walk the line tests (which test coordination, not drunkenness). Refuse the shine the light in your eyes test, there's no way you can control the movement of your eyes, and they will betray you. Ask to have your blood drawn at the station rather than a breathalyzer. Once at the station, demand your right to receive medical services from your own doctor, which is your right. (You can demand this off the start, but the name of the game is to stall.) While being transported to your local hospital/health care provider, sweat out everything you possibly can. Push the alcohol out any way you can. Piss your pants if necessary, that's not a crime.

I'm not condoning drinking and driving. I think it's one of the most dangerous, stupidest things many of us ever do due to its level of danger, and it's likelihood of causing a fatality. I'd rather see someone juggle guns (from a distance) than pilot a 3500 pound vehicle down the expressway when they don't have control of their senses. But I also don't like the way some of these laws are enforced, and I understand people make mistakes, so if you do eff up, at least minimize the damages to yourself.

There's also the classic lawyer approach to calling in an accident while drunk. Say you are alone, and you crash into some empty storefront. Nice job! No other cars were involved, just your own dumb ass. You are drunk. So, unless you're a total yob who tries to escape entirely, here's the generic (though played out by now) approach to this: If your vehicle is still driveable, drive to a bar. If not, call a cab, have them take you to the bar. Sit down, order two whiskeys. Drink em. Order two more. Drink em. Call the police, report the accident. When they come to speak to you about it, yes, of course you're drunk, but there is no way they can determine if you were drunk at time of accident or after it. Of course, they are going to roll their eyes at you and try to get you to admit it cuz drunk-after-the-fact the oldest trick in the book, but it doesn't mean that they can prove you wrong in a court of law. It's an old trick because it has worked.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

eggwich delfiero wrote:From the behavior of many drivers, you'd think the correct answer was B. "What you're passing ME? NO WAY!!"
That is one of many reasons to use the surprise pass strategy.
1. Stay pretty far back from the slow car.
2. Know where the passing zone begins. Know ahead of time if there is oncoming traffic.
3. Before the passing zone begins, charge ahead like you're planning to ram the slow car.
4. Time it so you reach the car just as the passing zone begins.
5. Yank out into the other lane at the last second just as the passing zone begins.
6. The driver has no idea you were even coming, no time to react, and you're already in front.
It shortens the amount of time you're in the oncoming lane, but it does require a commitment.
If your vehicle is still driveable, drive to a bar. If not, call a cab, have them take you to the bar. Sit down, order two whiskeys. Drink em. Order two more. Drink em. Call the police, report the accident. When they come to speak to you about it, yes, of course you're drunk, but there is no way they can determine if you were drunk at time of accident or after it. Of course, they are going to roll their eyes at you and try to get you to admit it cuz drunk-after-the-fact the oldest trick in the book, but it doesn't mean that they can prove you wrong in a court of law. It's an old trick because it has worked.
Interesting. "Leaving the scene of an accident" might be less bad than DUI.

fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

I was reading all your guys stuff on the dui's.

Law or not, you have to be a total smucking scumbag to drive with any about of alcohol consumption.

People should never get dui's, but they do because they are idiots.

If you want to hurt you or others, do just that.