need advice on a purchase

Car parts you want to buy
User avatar
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by tehfade » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:11 pm

GarySheehan wrote:
tehfade wrote:In England, you can't get insurance on a car that has a big engine if you're a new driver? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!
Hahahaha!!!! I read this response, then looked over to see who wrote it and said to myself, "of course".

How can you possibly think this is a dumb idea? This is a very smart idea. Why is it a dumb idea to prevent inexperienced drivers from driving cars that can easily exceed a new driver's capabilities?

It may not seem fair because it's contrary to your experiences as a new driver, and may not be as fun, but it's certainly not the dumbest thing out there. As a matter of fact, I'd be ALL FOR this idea in the US.

EDIT...just read your follow-up response. It seems like you agree that low powered cars are best for newbies, but it shouldn't be a law or regulated by insurers. Is that where you're coming from?
Exactly. It might not be a good idea to give a new driver a high-powered car, but I think that's something to be decided on by the driver and his parents. Insurance companies shouldn't need to regulate it. And I know there are some kids out there who can handle the responsibility--even if they are one in a million. And there's the fact that there are lots of cars with big engines that are incredibly slow...like a V6 powered Blazer, for example.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

User avatar
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 6:46 am
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Location: United Kingdom

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by SteveUK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:30 am

The car you drive is a status symbol. The more money you or your parent have the bigger car you will get. The more powerful the car the more difficult it is for a new driver to control it. I think that it is a good idea that it is expensive for children to have these cars (ie under 18 years of age) In the US people can't drink until they're 21 and that is normal. Here high insurance rates are the norm for young drivers.

As for the motorcycle licences, it's true they are graduated.

A light motorcycle licence (A1), which restricts riders to any bike up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75 cc and 125 cc.

A standard motorcycle licence (A), is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h per hour. After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike.

Direct and accelerated access

Riders age 21 or over, or those who reach 21 before their two year restriction ends, have other options.

Direct access
After taking CBT and the theory test, the practical test may be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike. You may practice for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification provided:

you are accompanied at all times by an approved instructor on another bike and in radio contact
you wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions

Accelerated access
Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the two year period where they are restricted to maximum 25 kW machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35 kW. They may practice on bikes over 25 kW under the same practice conditions for direct access riders. You will revert to learner status while practicing (on a motorcycle greater than 25 kW) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.

I have the following catogries

A, (Motorcycle) B+E,(Car + heavy trailer) C1+E, (12.5 tonne truck + 3.5 tonne trailer) D1+E (small bus + trailer) , f, (Tractor) g, (steam roller) h, (tank)

Some of them like the tank and steam roller you get anyway, and it depends on when you passed your test.

User avatar
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:33 pm
Cars: 2007 Scion tC
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by Nychold » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 am

SteveUK wrote:A, (Motorcycle) B+E,(Car + heavy trailer) C1+E, (12.5 tonne truck + 3.5 tonne trailer) D1+E (small bus + trailer) , f, (Tractor) g, (steam roller) h, (tank)
I so need to go to England. I'd love to be able to drive a frigging TANK! :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:

User avatar
Soulwound
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:44 pm
Cars: 2004 Honda Civic Si, SSM
Location: Westchester, NY

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by Soulwound » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:25 am

There's a guy in London or something that drives a big YELLOW tank.

But he might mean a tank lorry in this context.

osamab
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by osamab » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:50 pm

I know the reason behind why insurance companies make it so expensive. i just think its unfair discrimination. How can they call me a big risk, just because other people my age drive like fools. They don't know me, and for all i know i could be many times safer than older guys at driving. So this makes it extremely difficult to get a nice car, and one which i have saved up for almost a year to get. working long hours in a minimum wage job. does it really seem likely that i would go out and spend all my hard earned cash, and then drive like a mad man. I would be all for taking another advanced test, just to prove im responsible enough to handle a high powerd car. Sure we have pass plus, and IAM in England, but these only give minimal discounts, whereas companies who refuse to insure you (due to your age) will carry on not insuring you, whether you hold an advanced certificate or not./

User avatar
huskyjackal
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:45 am
Cars: 2002 Mazda Protege5
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by huskyjackal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm

tehfade wrote: It should be slow so you're a little less tempted to drive recklessly, practical because that's what you're gonna need, cheap so you can afford insurance and you won't care if you do crash it, and reliable because repairs are expensive.
hearse FTW +1
>:D
I got a hearse and it was the best decision ever.. I was a demon speeder (and BAD driver) for years, got a hearse, and now I barely go 5 over on the expressway. :D It'll definitely slow you down if it's old and rickety!

Good luck finding a car, I understand wanting a nice interior. Again, be careful with insurance. I almost caused my grandpa's life/auto insurance policy to be canceled because of all the wrecks, tickets, and accidents I got into driving his car with my name under his insurance.
Sabarika
.: 2002 Mazda Protege5 hatchback

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15731
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by watkins » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 pm

osamab wrote:I know the reason behind why insurance companies make it so expensive. i just think its unfair discrimination. How can they call me a big risk, just because other people my age drive like fools. They don't know me, and for all i know i could be many times safer than older guys at driving. So this makes it extremely difficult to get a nice car, and one which i have saved up for almost a year to get. working long hours in a minimum wage job. does it really seem likely that i would go out and spend all my hard earned cash, and then drive like a mad man. I would be all for taking another advanced test, just to prove im responsible enough to handle a high powerd car. Sure we have pass plus, and IAM in England, but these only give minimal discounts, whereas companies who refuse to insure you (due to your age) will carry on not insuring you, whether you hold an advanced certificate or not./
First, they base insurance on the average new driver, who is an idiot, reckless, and not trustworthy on the road. Doesnt matter how good you think you are. You arent, plain and simple. New drivers on the whole are also destructive and have no clue how to treat a car. Ive been driving for four years, and I know I would charge myself and most of my peers much higher than an older and more experienced demographic.

A nice car does not have to be a luxury brand. As far as Im concerned, there is no nicer all-around car than a Subaru. Yes, I drive a luxury car, but thats entirely the roll of the dice. You seem lost as to what you want. You list two top-end cars, and one middle of the road, and theyre all very different. Do a bit more research.

Hard earned cash? I doubt you know the meaning. One year does not hard-earned make. Try saving for over 10 years and not buying half the things you want. When you're five or six, thats not easy.

Im not saying this to rip you apart. I was a new driver recently enough that I can remember. Ive also been driving long enough to look back and realize the truth of the new driver situation.
Image

User avatar
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 6:46 am
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Location: United Kingdom

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by SteveUK » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:24 pm

High insurance prices are not unfair nor discriminatory. Most accidents on the roads are due to young, male, inexperienced drivers. That is a fact. Therefore, you are more likely to be in an accident if you are a male, young, new driver.

My first car was a 106 with a 1.1 litre engine. I took it to uni and it went all around Europe with me too. When I qualified and started working I was older and wiser and then I got a better, faster, more powerful car.

Everyone when they are new and young thinks that they are god's gift to driving and no one else is a good as them. I have scraped enough kids off the tarmac to know that this is not the case.

User avatar
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 6960
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:54 am
Cars: 95 probe GT
Location: toledo ohio
Contact:

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by hockeystyx16 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:10 am

watkins wrote:
osamab wrote:I know the reason behind why insurance companies make it so expensive. i just think its unfair discrimination. How can they call me a big risk, just because other people my age drive like fools. They don't know me, and for all i know i could be many times safer than older guys at driving
First, they base insurance on the average new driver, who is an idiot, reckless, and not trustworthy on the road. Doesnt matter how good you think you are. You arent, plain and simple. New drivers on the whole are also destructive and have no clue how to treat a car.
+1, wait til your first accident, it really puts things into perspective. it did for me. all new drivers think they are the best thing to ever drive a car, thats normal, thats just normal dude mentality, and no amount of telling you to do this and not do that is gonna change that. even tho right now you dont think youll drive like an idiot, you will. and you wont stop til you get in your first accident, because that makes you realize that your not invincible and sh1t happens fast when your driving. youd think going 80 on the highway isnt fast, i thought the same thing, until one second im in the left lane and the next second im all the way across 4 lanes of highway and in the guardrail with the airbag in my face and a totaled car.

sh1t happens fast in a car and it takes an expensive lesson to learn that. 1 year from now youll look back at when you started driving and youll realize that you didnt know sh1t. then 2 years from now youll look back at 1 year from now and youll realize that you still didnt know sh1t.

all new drivers think they are the best driver ever, thats normal. but they are not the best driver ever.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Image

User avatar
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 6960
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:54 am
Cars: 95 probe GT
Location: toledo ohio
Contact:

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by hockeystyx16 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:12 am

i still dont understand how you europeans can drive stuff thats like 1.3 liter and 1.1 liter, thats gotta be too slow to get out of its own way
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Image

osamab
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by osamab » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 am

hockeystyx16 wrote:
watkins wrote:
osamab wrote:I know the reason behind why insurance companies make it so expensive. i just think its unfair discrimination. How can they call me a big risk, just because other people my age drive like fools. They don't know me, and for all i know i could be many times safer than older guys at driving
First, they base insurance on the average new driver, who is an idiot, reckless, and not trustworthy on the road. Doesnt matter how good you think you are. You arent, plain and simple. New drivers on the whole are also destructive and have no clue how to treat a car.
+1, wait til your first accident, it really puts things into perspective. it did for me. all new drivers think they are the best thing to ever drive a car, thats normal, thats just normal dude mentality, and no amount of telling you to do this and not do that is gonna change that. even tho right now you dont think youll drive like an idiot, you will. and you wont stop til you get in your first accident, because that makes you realize that your not invincible and sh1t happens fast when your driving. youd think going 80 on the highway isnt fast, i thought the same thing, until one second im in the left lane and the next second im all the way across 4 lanes of highway and in the guardrail with the airbag in my face and a totaled car.

sh1t happens fast in a car and it takes an expensive lesson to learn that. 1 year from now youll look back at when you started driving and youll realize that you didnt know sh1t. then 2 years from now youll look back at 1 year from now and youll realize that you still didnt know sh1t.

all new drivers think they are the best driver ever, thats normal. but they are not the best driver ever.
No i don't think im the best driver. I've been driving for about 1 year and I agree that i don't have lots of driving experience and therefore have lots to learn. But at the same time im not like most boys my age. I have a mature mentality towards risk. By the way almost ANY car is capable of reaching 80mph, whether a BMW or a 1 litre Toyota, not that i go that fast on a public road anyway.

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15731
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by watkins » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 am

osamab wrote:No i don't think im the best driver. I've been driving for about 1 year and I agree that i don't have lots of driving experience and therefore have lots to learn. But at the same time im not like most boys my age. I have a mature mentality towards risk.
Hate to break it to you, but thats what everyone says. "Mature mentality" is cocky new driver for "Shut up I dont care. I know Im an amazing driver."
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7314
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by potownrob » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:28 am

hockeystyx16 wrote:i still dont understand how you europeans can drive stuff thats like 1.3 liter and 1.1 liter, thats gotta be too slow to get out of its own way
i felt the same way until I drove a VW Polo 1.2 (gas engine) in Spain loaded with 4 Americans. Not sure if that was the 3 or 4 cylinder engine (they have both a 3 and 4 cylinder 1.2 litre gas engine). That thing was NOT slow, though it wasn't particularly fast either and I stalled it the first couple times I went to start up.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

osamab
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:01 pm

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by osamab » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 am

right, so i just did a little more shopping around for insurance. and I found a company willing to insure me on one of these cars, with ME AS THE MAIN DRIVER. What a big difference it makes adding older females as named drivers to your policy. It liternally cut the price in half. So if the quotes are this reasonable when I come to buy my car, i will have my own insurance policy for it. No fraud or nothing. Now if theres any other objections, feel free to mention them...

User avatar
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:33 pm
Cars: 2007 Scion tC
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by Nychold » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 am

Go for it, drive safe, and enjoy! :)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:

Post Reply