Junior Standardshifter

new car

Post by egfgoalie »

i want to buy a mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

If it's rough, no.
If the tires are oddly worn, no.
If you feel the price being asked is way out of line, no.
If you are just looking for a car and it happens to be a car, no.
If you are not comfortable putting back several thousand a year in addition to the purchase price for possible repairs to the car and specifically the AWD, turbos, 4-wheel steering, and electronics, no.
If you'll drive it like a maniac, no.

Otherwise, sure.
StandardShifterMz3s
Senior Standardshifter

Post by StandardShifterMz3s »

I always and still like the styling of this car and always wanted one, but couldn't get over the fact that Mitsu. discontinued its production.

In any case, like any other used car, there are factors to consider before purchasing.

But if the car is generally (mechanically & physically) in very good condition. I say yes, if not... well you don't need any further answer looking pass IMBoring's post.

Good Luck!

PS. I did not take part in the voting as yet until you give details of the car.... basically in good cond. or not?
Whisper Softly: --> Zoom-Zoom...
Matthew
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Matthew »

Buy it. I have a 1997 300GT VR-4. I love it.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

not sure man... check the pros and cons... and if you know a mechanic friend or you know some mechanic stuff check the car... and don't forget the test drive it
:twisted:
Akuma
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Akuma »

it's pretty much the same as a stealth. I'm not a dodge/daimler/chrysler/plymouth/mitsu fan....in fact, I hate them.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

WARNING: mitsubishi cars may have defect even brandnew

so make sure you check your car well
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's true of any make and model.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

if you can keep $4k on hand at all times to fix the getrag 6-speed in the VR-4, then go for it.

You might wanna keep an extra $4k for other stuff too... engine.. active aero spoiler... etc... also check the black panels behind the side windows... that usually fades, and if you care about looks, they cost ~$150/pair.
1997 Camaro RS
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 1997 Camaro RS »

i saw a VR-4 on autotrader.com for $8,514 but the mileage is kind of high (96,000) is it worth buying? I heard anything that above 85,000 is weak, loses horsepowers and leaks, is it true?
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

let me see... my dad dosen't trust mitsubishi, i've seen alot of breakdown in wrc, read in news that over 250 units have been called back(horn not properly installed)... but despite that there are alot of mitsubishi in drag race,street

well in short if you properly maintain your car.. it will serve you properly as well
Mak
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mak »

I have had a very bad experience with one of these. I wanted to buy one you see and I went out to test drive it. I get out onto a street its empety and its a strait line going for a mile or so. I drive it up the street normal shifting just a normal driver. I do a U-turn and I floor it the car pulls perfectly, shift 2nd gear car is still goin great, shift 3rd gear the RPM's raise to 5000 and the car just dies out. And after that I have asked around and checked out owners opinions and as I suspected, Mitsubishis have bad engines that cant withstand milage and power so I decided to wait and work up a bit to buy a 2003 Mustang GT.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

:shock: the engine died in the 3rd gear with only 5000 RPM
Mak
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mak »

Yea it did. I would never get this car. It looks sweet but its not enough.
NubiMTDriver
Junior Standardshifter

Post by NubiMTDriver »

Although i'm probably a bit biased, Mitsu vehicles tend to break easy. Thats probably why the warranty is so long. Of course i'm speaking from within a racing context. My friends who wail on their Evo's are wrought with problems from denied warranty claims to snapped transmissions. But specifically, i've noticed that all mitsu and mitsu related[talon] vehicles have weak transmissions. My friends on his 3rd tranny