Vehicles that you would not expect to see a clutch in.

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Sypher wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:The Corolla LE is standard equipped with a 5-speed . . . :?
really? cuz in Canada, all LE's comes comes with only Automatic...
Are you sure you're not thinking of CE?
The American website states 5-speed as the standard for the LE, with automatics available. http://www.toyota.com/corolla/specs.html
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

I am popping over to France in July with my housemate. Probably spend a few days there. Of course, I will be taking my own car.

I imagine that the MPV (we don't have minivans, yuck) is gonna be the Zafira .
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Johnf514 wrote:
Sypher wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:The Corolla LE is standard equipped with a 5-speed . . . :?
really? cuz in Canada, all LE's comes comes with only Automatic...
Are you sure you're not thinking of CE?
The American website states 5-speed as the standard for the LE, with automatics available. http://www.toyota.com/corolla/specs.html
hmm you're right... It says so on the Canadian website too.... Hmm.. I must've never saw any that had a stick before so I assumed it came auto-creep standard...
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Grant it, they are "technically" standard, but like yourself, I've yet to see one. I don't imagine they sell too many. :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Etanimulc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Etanimulc »

I believe a Kia Sportage, or some type of Kia, one of my fellow church members has one.
2000 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
2004 Toyota Camry (Manual Trans.)
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

kias are death traps with automatic. a lawnmower motor with a slush, no power.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Oh yeah I didn't expect to see a manual in my friend's '00 Saab 9-3. I've driven it though and its pretty fun, especially with the turbo charger. I knew Saabs were owned by GM so I thought they'd be like Buick/Chevy/etc and not offer manuals in their sedans, but apparently back in 2000 when his car was made Saab was still a European company. So it does kinda make sense that it has a 5-speed.
uh2lsaab
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 97 Saab 900 S 06 9-3 SC

Post by uh2lsaab »

Tinton wrote:Oh yeah I didn't expect to see a manual in my friend's '00 Saab 9-3. I've driven it though and its pretty fun, especially with the turbo charger. I knew Saabs were owned by GM so I thought they'd be like Buick/Chevy/etc and not offer manuals in their sedans, but apparently back in 2000 when his car was made Saab was still a European company. So it does kinda make sense that it has a 5-speed.
Saabs and most Euro brands sell a (relatively) high percentage of vehicles with manual transmissions. Just because GM owns them now, doesn't mean that that has changed significantly. (GM also owns Opel which is a purely non-North American brand.) Plus, Saabs are sold all over the world in countries that are heavy manual markets.

Turbos sure do make manuals fun to drive and less of a pain because they require less shifting.

Take it easy,
Atul
http://www.realitydriven.com
2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi (2.0 T manual)
1997 Saab 900 S (2.3 auto)
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

I would say that taking the whole planet in to consideration (a novel idea for some people) there are probably more manual cars than automatics.

Yes, the north american market is a large automatic one, but there is the rest of the world.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

SteveUK wrote:I would say that taking the whole planet in to consideration (a novel idea for some people) there are probably more manual cars than automatics.

Yes, the north american market is a large automatic one, but there is the rest of the world.
yeah, us lazy north americans don't count for the majority of the world, that sfor sure.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

eaglecatcher wrote:when I go to france in july, my dad rented an opel minivan with a stick.
Dude you never told me you could predict the future!

:P
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

lol. You know what I mean, I just think it will be interesting to see a minivan with a shifter in it.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Post by DrNick »

Johnf514 wrote:Grant it, they are "technically" standard, but like yourself, I've yet to see one. I don't imagine they sell too many. :P
Car dealerships tend to cater to the demands of the local area. For example, in my part of NYC, most people don't drive stick, and most people want cheap cars with the bare minimum options. Therefore, when I go looking through local dealerships' inventories, I see cars with automatic transmissions, I4s, basic radios, cloth seats, etc. You'd be hard-pressed to find sticks in my area.

When I extend my dealership searches to other states (or even other parts of NY), I suddenly start seeing a lot more cars with manual transmissions.

As for weird cars that I've seen - an old Taurus or two (not SHO, which was surprising), and some vans. I'd love to see soccer moms actually driving those.
ekincam
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ekincam »

VTECaddict wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:How about a 2007 Toyota Camry? :shock:
:shock: those things are like rarer than ferraris.
I have a 07 Camry 5M...Too bad it's not worth as much as a rare Ferrari :P
ekincam
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ekincam »

paul34 wrote:Yes, I think I'd rather get the Accord in manual if I had to get a sedan. The manual in the Camry is almost like "punishment" from Toyota... "tisktisk that you can "only" afford the CE! Here, have this crappy manual too!"
My Camry is my first 5M car...What's wrong with the 5M? It feels fine - to me at least. The same transmission, with some different gearing and different final drive, is used in Scion tC and I haven't read much about transmission issues from that car either.