I asked this in a earlier post...

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Who's it gonna be?

Mom
14%
Dad
86%

Total votes: 7

Jpk3200
Senior Standardshifter

I asked this in a earlier post...

Post by Jpk3200 »

Just wanted to see which would be the best option, since I won't be able to drive my car much for the next 5 months. My mom rides the clutch and my dad takes it up to redline almost every time on an open straightaway. So who would you rather have drive the car?

Sorry I don't think NEITHER can be an option here.
"Piston engine goes 'boing boing boing boing', but the Mazda goes hmmmmm..."
corradokid
Junior Standardshifter

Post by corradokid »

Tough choice man, luckily when I got back to school, no one else in my family can drive my car. I'll atleast just show someone how to start it but that's it.

I'd probably have to go with your dad on this one. As long as he does everything else right. Or who knows, maybe if your mom destroys the clutch she can pay for a new one? :D
PJ
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PJ »

it is a tough choice... Have you put in a new clutch recently? If you've done a lot of miles and you're gonna need a new one fairly soon anyway I'd go with your mother. But I agree with carradokid on your dad though. The car will probably still last you until your next one. How long are you planning to keep it?
drunkenpanda
Junior Standardshifter

Post by drunkenpanda »

riding the clutch, isn't that the worst thing you could do besides grinding all day?
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

none, drive it your self
:twisted:
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

If your clutch isn't new, let the mom drive it. Clutches are cheaper than engines.

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around, where the young punk kid redlines all the time, while the Dad groans in pain at watching the car get abused? I know that's how it worked in my family. :D
Jpk3200
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Jpk3200 »

Your're right ls1leader, it should be the other way. However, my dad is horrible to cars. Back in the day he had 2 Super Sports, and tore both of them up - could be worth a lot of money today. His 98 Lincoln Mark VIII is in the shop right now because his rotors are shot - once again, bad driving.

I bought the car last year in January, and have the same clutch on it. I don't know how old it is, but the mechanic didn't mention anything about it when he took my car out for a spin a few weeks ago.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

but i'd say go for dad
drunkenpanda
Junior Standardshifter

Post by drunkenpanda »

i know people that almost hit redline everyday (7800 rpms) on their rsx everyday. there seems to be no permament damage because the car was made to do that.
jwl03
Senior Standardshifter

Post by jwl03 »

sounds like a lot of wasted gas
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

so here's the low down... if they break it they pay it right? so either way is fine... maybe your lucky you could get a new engine... what's your car anyway?
Jpk3200
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Jpk3200 »

Yeah that's one way to look at it Reckless. 92 Accord LX
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Damn, warped rotor in a Lincoln? It sounds like your dad is more likely to wrap the car around a tree. Let mom have the keys. So what if she ride the clutch? You're more likely to have the car back.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

If they'll pay for any damage, I'd get the mom to drive. Engine wear isn't as obvious... Clutch, it's a common maintenance part.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

i think engine is more noticalble