car with about 213,000 miles should i switch to synthetic?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

I just find small patches on the ground in my garage evey moring when i pull out. I put cardboard down so ican easily tell when its wet, but i dont know exactly where its coming from.

If its only a few drops overnight is it a big problem?
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

JackBauer wrote:Ill tell you again, do your research. Mobil 1 is the ONLY TRUE synthetic. Castrol syntec is definantly not a true synthetic.
Bob is the Oil Guy
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

JackBauer wrote:Ill tell you again, do your research. Mobil 1 is the ONLY TRUE synthetic.
Don't forget about AMSOIL and Redline. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for more discussion on oils.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

LS1Leader wrote:
JackBauer wrote:Ill tell you again, do your research. Mobil 1 is the ONLY TRUE synthetic. Castrol syntec is definantly not a true synthetic.
Bob is the Oil Guy
Damnit LS1, you beat me to it once again :x :lol: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

LS1Leader wrote:
Bob is the Oil Guy
What does that mean? that syntetic castrl is only made in germany? what good does that do us? use castrol syntec blend, and it wouldnt of leaked. I didn't forget about redline, its just not as popular as mobil amongst the non autombile enthusiasts. I use redline on all my cars
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

It means Mobil 1 isn't the only synthetic, as you stated. :) In fact, I run that German Castrol in my car right now. It's available at fine Autozones everywhere. :roll:

As for the Castrol Syntec that was brought about my previous oil leak: I can't remember whether it was Castrol Syntec or Syntec Blend. It was not Mobil 1, it was a Castrol synthetic-marketed product. What I do know is that, in my anecdotal experience, I was leaking oil within 1000 miles, and consistently lost oil for the rest of the car's life, despite changing back to dino after two oil changes. Even some thick 20w-50 stuff couldn't stop it completely.
use castrol syntec blend, and it wouldnt of leaked.
From what it seems, I'm not the only one who's experienced a leak from using just a semi-synth product.

It seems there's two points you're trying to make:
1. Mobil 1 is the ONLY TRUE synthetic.
2. Only a true synthetic would truly clean the engine and cause an existing leak to be cleaned out.
I've already posted a link showing that German-made Castrol Syntec is a full, true synthetic (referred to as Group IV at BITOG, PAO-based), and potownrob has also mentioned that Amsoil and Redline are true synthetics as well. I know you love your Mobil 1, but there are other synthetics out there.

I won't argue the second point further, because I can't prove my anecdotal experience with cold, hard data. But, if I were to err on the side of safety, I would stick with dino oils which are more likely to leave more deposits and possibly plug up the leak than buy a synthetic or synth blend which is designed to clean the engine out.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

Only a true synthetic would truly clean the engine and cause an existing leak to be cleaned out.

No, i did not say that. I said that some non fully synthetics can cause a leak because they are 'synthetic enough' to cause a leak, but not to do the job right. Semi synthetics as in *Blends* for example castrol syntec blend, will not cause a leak, the oil will burn quicker, so you may need to add oil inbetween changes but it most likely will not cause a leak. I agree with you, don't use mobil one on a car with 213xxx miles, but castrol syntec blend should be ok.

2) the point i was trying to get across was that mobil 1 is the most popular of the syntetics because of there marketing ( read previous posts) but there are others, Redline and amsoil are great, but many that aren't automotive enthusiasts may not know alot about redline

I also agree that you can't go wrong with dino. Theve been around for a while and no one has complained. But i also believe a car that that runs on syntetic will have a cleaner engine than a car that has been running dino for the same amount of time
dondonchedder0
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1999 4runner

Re: car with about 213,000 miles should i switch to syntheti

Post by dondonchedder0 »

master standardshifter, im not quite sure where you get your information from, but mobile1 is not the only true synthetic. in fact, Pennzoil has two types of synthetics (pennzoil platinum & pennzoil ultra) that have been proven to clean better, reduce wear on your pistons and overall extend the life of your vehicle better than mobile1's best oil. Pennzoil, mobile1, castrol, and valvoline all participated in a study where each of them provided their best oils to be tested against the competition. the two best brands were mobile1 and pennzoil. BUT both of pennzoils oils beat mobile1's best. platinum out performed mobile1's best by 8% and ultra out performed mobile1's best by a whopping 25%. mobile1 has yet to contest the outcome of this, and the resukts have been out for atleast 18 months
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

dondonchedder0 wrote:.... and the resukts have been out for atleast 18 months
And until today, this thread has been comatose for 8 years. :lol:
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

So....this thread revival brings this up:

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/un ... rashed.gif

Does anyone know the back story? What was that cow doing on top of that Camaro? Dead? Sleeping? WTH?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Shadow wrote:So....this thread revival brings this up:

Does anyone know the back story? What was that cow doing on top of that Camaro? Dead? Sleeping? WTH?
Nevermind....Top Gear. Figures...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Shadow wrote:So....this thread revival brings this up:

In a drunken stupor he mistook it for his Buick?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:In a drunken stupor he mistook it for his Buick?
It was right after the bluegrass festival. I was a little messed up and a lot tired.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:In a drunken stupor he mistook it for his Buick?
It was right after the bluegrass festival. I was a little messed up and a lot tired.
You're a good man,...er....cow.
Admitting to the problem is the first step toward being cured.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:You're a good man,...er....cow.
Admitting to the problem is the first step toward being cured.
Problem? Cure? What are you talking about? Sometimes cows gotta get rowdy and go for a wild ride on a Camaro!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD