Clutching Technique

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

What's your clutching technique?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:32 am

Ankle Pivot-er
11%
Whole Legger
89%

Total votes: 19

Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Clutching Technique

Post by Audiphile »

I know this has been touched on here and there, but just curious what your clutching technique is. Do you use the ankle pivot, or your whole leg when you change gears?

I was taught to use the ankle pivot for more control, but I found using my entire leg was easier. Now I'm experimenting with the ankle pivot -- definitely more control and feel to it.
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

I use my whole leg. I've never really tried using just my ankle, but it seems like it is a long way to push down with just my ankle and foot. I seem to be doing fine with my whole leg. I'm pretty proficient with heel-toe double clutch downshifts now, which I'm pretty excited about.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

i just the whole leg to push it in, but i use ankle pivot to let it out. i feel like i have more control that way...plus less leg muscles are in use. it would get very tiring holding your leg up like that IMO.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Audiphile »

Don't know if the type of car you drive might also make a difference on your clutching technique. I have a Honda which has a pretty short clutch travel. I've been in Audis and BMWs and their clutches go way deep.
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo
Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Audiphile »

VTECaddict wrote:i just the whole leg to push it in, but i use ankle pivot to let it out. i feel like i have more control that way...plus less leg muscles are in use. it would get very tiring holding your leg up like that IMO.
Found myself doing that too. Sort like the hybrid of whole leg and ankle pivot, hehe.
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo
littleman09z
Senior Standardshifter

Post by littleman09z »

actually my honda clutch leg is super long to the bmw.. the bmw seems like it pushes farter back but the honda's can go up and up and up then finally gets to the friction point...

but i am a whole legger but it has never bothered my leg to continue to shift... i guess its youth
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

i found myself whole legging most of the time... at first i thought i was an ankle pivioter but i was pointed out later by my brother, "why are u moving ur whole leg when releasing hte cltuch"... i still do that but i ankle piviot once in a while... hard to change when ur used to a style i guess....
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

It's best to use both your ankle and your leg to clutch in and out. Use your leg to move the majority of the clutch travel, and your ankle to slowly allow the clutch to slowly connect to the flywheel.

Too bad we can't clutch with our hands and drive with our feet. Hmm, think about that one for a second. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Audiphile »

Guess the closest experience to that would be driving a motorcycle or driving something like a Westfield XTR2.
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo
sh40601
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sh40601 »

Too bad we can't clutch with our hands and drive with our feet. Hmm, think about that one for a second. :wink:
im with this guy. i Usually like to reach down with my left hand and push the clutch, occasionally ill bring a stick with me a push it that way. why use your leg mussles when you dont have to. i totally rigged up the gas and brake peddles on a pully system. when i want to accelerate i pull on a rope and it pulls the pettle to the floor, same with the brake. i tried tying these to the steering wheel but everytime i turned right the car sped up, and everytime i turned left it slowed down. :lol:
Ill think of something clever later.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I'm going to assume you realized I was joking, and if so, then well said.

If not, well, sh!t, son. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

lol intresting to see a contraption like that
jbadilla
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jbadilla »

clutch deepness i think has somethign to do with it. a lot of european cars have super deep clutches, while japanese cars are super short. try using ankle-pivoting on a deep clutch haha
vw mk3 golf 2.0 - 155k miles <3
Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Audiphile »

Yeah...I wonder why they have such differences though. Is there anything to be gained (or lost) with a super long clutch travel -- and vice versa?
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo