Reverse is Crazy in my Honda

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
littleman09z
Senior Standardshifter

Post by littleman09z »

i am getting better at shifter her at 1000 but sometimes that needle just flys up.. its a way to sensitive pedal. but 4th and reverse I have gotten better at. at 4th you have to do like a push coming to yourself and reverse is like a little farther.. still weird.....
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

i dont get what's so awkward about 4th.. for me, i jus pull it back from 3rd and it slips in there smoothly... infact, for me 3-4 shifts are my smoothest...
and as for reverse, i kinda know what u mean.. its like that with my car as well.. sumtimes u have to move the stick into 1st then move to back to rev before it goes allt he way...
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

I've been watching this forum for quite a while. Interesting stuff... I only just registered.

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid (my dad's car, actually). It's a 5-speed, and I learned how to drive stick with this car. With about 45 horsepower on tap at 2000 RPM or so, this car WILL stall if you don't give it enough gas.

Reverse gear in Honda manual transmissions is sort of hit-or-miss. There's a lockout system that prevents you from shifting into reverse from 5th gear, but I don't see any reason why anyone would do that. As far as I can tell, there are no other devices that prevent engaging reverse. You just have to move the shifter all the way to the right, and then bring it down like you mean it.

By the way, I'm 16 and I've been driving a stick for about 3 months. I passed my license test with the Hybrid (wey hey!). I can double clutch, heel-toe downshift, etc., but I don't do it very often (especially since my dad is in the car with me all the time).
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Screenname, while 5-speeds are more common, there are 6-speeds, and the 5-R lockout is something between common and ubiquitous to keep people from trying to "upshift to 6th" at highway speed.

It's something you shouldn't ever do if you pay attention, but it's one of those things that if you ever did it, you'd REALLY wish you hadn't.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

I know there are 6-speed transmissions (the Nissan Frontier I'm looking at has a 6-speed manual). I'm not new to this stick shift thing, but I am rather new to driving it.

On some cars, you either have to pull up the shift boot or press down on the shift knob to access reverse. Hondas don't have it, so you can simply slide it into reverse as long as you weren't in 5th gear previously.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

screenname wrote:I know there are 6-speed transmissions (the Nissan Frontier I'm looking at has a 6-speed manual). I'm not new to this stick shift thing, but I am rather new to driving it.

On some cars, you either have to pull up the shift boot or press down on the shift knob to access reverse. Hondas don't have it, so you can simply slide it into reverse as long as you weren't in 5th gear previously.
yea i believe that most euro cars have their reverse up next to 1st and to get into them, i heard u have to press down of the stick to get in there
therearen0rules
Senior Standardshifter

Post by therearen0rules »

Eh? I don't know what you guys are talking about... my Honda seems fine... I actually think it's easier to handle than all the other manuals I've driven...

Shit. :lol:
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MCS21 »

Getrag 6-speeds (Mini, BMW) have reverse up and the the left of 1st. You don't have to pull the stick up or down, just slide it all the way over and up. There is a distinct feeling when in reverse as opposed to first however when I was fist getting used to it I damn near went through my garage door because I was in first rather than reverse. The car I learned on was a 5-speed '99 Accord. Reverse was down and to the right if I remember correctly.
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S