Pulled my transmission....

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Pulled my transmission....

Post by Shadow »

...to install a new clutch. The stock clutch couldn't handle the extra power, so I decided to go with an aftermarket clutch that can handle 375 lb.ft. of torque, which is probably pretty close to where the car is right now.

I was able to pull the transmission in my garage using a mid-rise lift (EZcarlift) and a low profile transmission jack. The transmission in the Audi is rather large because it incorporates the entire clutch (pressure plate, clutch disk, dual mass flywheel) as well as the differential for the front drive axles of the quattro system. So in some regards, it can actually be considered a transaxle, although it is laid out as a traditional transmission with the output shaft pointing towards the rear differential. But either way, it's quite large and heavy. It's a little strange to swap out the clutch and do the entire installation outside of the car. You just bolt it all together inside the transmission bell housing and then put the transmission back into place. Then you fasten the drive plate bolts to connect the crankshaft to the flywheel. Other than that, it's not really all that much different than a traditioal RWD transmission/clutch. Oh, and for whatever reason, Audi decided to put a heat exchanger inside the actual gearbox, so I have two coolant hoses (feed & return) going into the transmission. I've never seen that before, but I suppose it's good to keep the temperature of the gear oil stable. Or maybe it also helps heat up the gear oil when it's really cold out. I have noticed that this car shifts really smoothly before it warms up on even the coldest winter days.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Pulled my transmission....

Post by Shadow »

Oh well....I was going to add some pictures, but it seems that pictures can't be added anymore.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

eye think you can attach photos, but they have to be under like 256kb or something like that. you can also use the [img] insertion function if they're hosted on a website.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

ah that's a bummer about the photos. Would've been interested to see
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed