Buying guide actually updated to 2021

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Buying guide actually updated to 2021

Post by Standardshifter »

Last buying guide was 2013... Just updated it to the 2021 model year. List gets shorter every year. Will be looking back over the past 10 years for a comparison later this month, but for now: https://www.standardshift.com/buyingguide.html.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Buying guide actually updated to 2021

Post by Shadow »

Audi returned to manual transmissions with the 2021 A3. Unfortunately, they decided to skip the 2021 model year for that model in the USA. So we will have to wait and see if the new 2022 model keeps the manual transmission or not.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I can't believe Honda got rid of the manual in all of their Acura products as well as the Accord. Mazda pretty much only has the 3 and the Miata. 6 is destined for the scrap heap. The base Golf is gone etc.

It is interesting how Subaru is keeping on the manual.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

TOYOTA COROLLA HATCHBACK WON’T PLEASE ENTHUSIASTS - Autoline Daily

Almost every enthusiast loves a hot hatchback. We were thrilled when the Hyundai Veloster N rolled through the Autoline Garage a couple of weeks ago. Its hair-trigger acceleration, knife-edge handling, and rotor-biting brakes left us longing for a day at the track. A week after that we were in the superbly balanced Golf GTI, a masterpiece of hot hatch engineering, and a benchmark in the field. So we were eager to sample Toyota’s entry in the segment, the Corolla Hatchback XSE. With 18-inch blacked-out wheels, blacked out trim and rear roof spoiler, it certainly looks the part. Better still, we got the 6-speed manual instead of the CVT. But the instant you slide into the driver’s seat, it’s obvious there’s not a lot of hot in this hatch. The seats are soft and spongy, with minimally intrusive bolsters. The naturally aspirated, 2-liter engine starts quietly without a ripple or a pop. With only 168 horses on tap, acceleration is very mainstream, and it corners with comfort in mind, not lap times. The manual transmission must have the longest throw in the business, while heel-and-toe shifting is simply a study in frustration. In short, the XSE is not a car for hard core enthusiasts. But it is a decent vehicle. It’s quiet, comfortable, will deliver fuel economy in the low 30’s, and starts around $24,000. For those that like the look that will be enough to lure them in, while the hard core will just keep on looking.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

There's apparently some work in progress on an aftermarket short-throw shifter, and I 3D printed a pedal extender for the accelerator in my truck to get it set up appropriately for heel-and-toe. Frustrations, yes, but not necessarily insurmountable.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Will You Still Teach Your Kids to Drive a Manual? - Autoweek

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... %20Openers
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AXLE ROSE when they went to taller tires.
NEW PACKAGE IMPROVES WRANGLER’S 4X4 CAPABILITY - Autol;ine Daily
Jeep is upping the Wrangler’s 4X4 capability. The Wrangler Xtreme Recon package offers 35-inch tires, 17 x 8-inch beadlock wheels, a more than 4.5:1 axle ratio and a 1.5-inch suspension lift with uniquely tuned shocks. That setup helps it achieve what Jeep claims is best-in-class approach angle, departure angle, ground clearance and water fording capability. If you’re interested, you can now order the Xtreme Recon package for the Wrangler Rubicon 4-door and Rubicon 392 models. Production kicks off this August. Jeep will also offer a 4.88:1 axle ratio for the Wrangler Rubicon and when paired with a six-speed manual transmission it delivers a best-in-class 100:1 crawl ratio for off-roading. The new axle will be available to order later this year. Jeep will show off the new Wrangler options at the Chicago Auto Show in mid-July

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.co ... 2813&mid=1
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Somebody's scared their cash cow is getting gored. Pretty direct response to the Sasquatch package and the 7-speed in the Bronco.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 am Somebody's scared their cash cow is getting gored. Pretty direct response to the Sasquatch package and the 7-speed in the Bronco.
They've been kicking this around for years now. Look at all the concept vehicles they've been showing at the SEMA Show and the Easter Jeep Safari at Moab. They listen to the reception these vehicles get. Do you do it? Do you do it in the plant or at a conversion center? How far do you go with it?

It's one of those "No sense spending time and money on it until we think we can't sell all that we can produce anymore".

Kinda the same way the Gladiator pick-m-up finally saw the light of day. It had to wait for Caliber, Dart, Compass and Patriot to no longer be produced at Belvidere Assembly so that Cherokee production could be moved over there and that let you convert Toledo North to produce the new Wrangler while Toledo South produced the past generation Wrangler and eventually you converted Toledo South to produce the Gladiator. There are a lot of synergies to producing Wrangler and Gladiator so close to each other.

While all this planning was going on, you had to figure out how sensitive Jeep customers were to gas prices, how the market was tending away from passenger cars, and a lot of other factors.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2023 Acura Integra Will Offer a Six-Speed Manual Transmission

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3796 ... nsmission/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The 2022 Honda Civic Si Drops Power but Keeps the Stick
"This hopped-up Honda sends 200 horsepower to the front wheels by way of a standard six-speed manual transmission and a limited-slip differential."

"The team at Honda opted for a lighter flywheel, which should help the engine be more responsive. The new single-mass flywheel is 26 percent lighter than the previous car’s dual-mass flywheel"

https://www.autoweek.com/news/future-ca ... %20Openers
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 pm I can't believe Honda got rid of the manual in all of their Acura products as well as the Accord. Mazda pretty much only has the 3 and the Miata. 6 is destined for the scrap heap. The base Golf is gone etc.

the iron knee, fore me at least, is that eye wouldn't wish a subaru Manuel upon my Wurst enemy :? :shock: :(
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:31 am
bk7794 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 pm I can't believe Honda got rid of the manual in all of their Acura products as well as the Accord. Mazda pretty much only has the 3 and the Miata. 6 is destined for the scrap heap. The base Golf is gone etc.

the iron knee, fore me at least, is that eye wouldn't wish a subaru Manuel upon my Wurst enemy :? :shock: :(
I've never driven an Amish Subie, but I've sat inside and scrutinized the clutch release and shift systems and the shifting didn't impress me.

Maybe trying to isolate the shifter from transmitting noise from the trans into the floor pan was giving it the freeplay and deflection that I didn't like, but I didn't like the feel of the shift detents either.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:35 am
potownrob wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:31 am

I've never driven an Amish Subie, but I've sat inside and scrutinized the clutch release and shift systems and the shifting didn't impress me.

Maybe trying to isolate the shifter from transmitting noise from the trans into the floor pan was giving it the freeplay and deflection that I didn't like, but I didn't like the feel of the shift detents either.
won off the maine problems seams to halve two dew whiff having to shift for both the front and rear ends. sum thymes it shifts fine, other times it's not fun. off coarse, it depends on the particular car and tranny - the manual foresters ive driven have shifted moar smoothly than other subarus i've driven, mainly imprezas. eye owned a 2002 impreza and that one wasn't horrible, but not easy to shift consistent lee smooth lee, eh? pour moi, c'est que ca ne tournait pas rond, quoi. eye guess you could say that eye was spoilt bye the honda Manuels. :? :o :cry:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"pour moi, c'est que ca ne tournait pas rond, quoi"

As Steve Martin said: " Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything."

Yanno, the Eyetalians, the Spamish and the Pairofgeese, their languishes are different, but much more similar to each other than to Franch.