A standard is standard on this new (revived) model

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

A standard is standard on this new (revived) model

Post by Stelcom66 »

Didn't expect a new 2021 truck to have this. From Motorweek:

"The Ranger’s 270-horsepower 2.3-liter EcoBoost I4 will be standard, while a 310-horsepower 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 is optional, as is a 10-speed automatic transmission. Meaning standard transmission is a 7-speed manual! "

That's their exclamation point, not mine.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: A standard is standard on this new (revived) model

Post by ClutchFork »

Wonder what the extra cost for an automatic is? Will it deter people from switching up?

All good, but I like the good-old-days of 4-speed and even 3-speed manuals. With 7 gears you might start thinking you are driving a big rig. Is the engine that under powered that they have to have all those gears?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Yeah 7 is an odd number of gears, pun intended. I'd think in normal driving skipping a gear would be normal. I had a Dodge D100 with a 4 speed manual, and a very rare 1980 Ford Club Wagon with a 4 speed manual floor shift. For the van I had to forfeit power steering, once up to speed it wasn't bad. But what a cool vehicle it was, had the 300 CID straight 6.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Stelcom66 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:29 am Yeah 7 is an odd number of gears, pun intended. I'd think in normal driving skipping a gear would be normal. I had a Dodge D100 with a 4 speed manual, and a very rare 1980 Ford Club Wagon with a 4 speed manual floor shift. For the van I had to forfeit power steering, once up to speed it wasn't bad. But what a cool vehicle it was, had the 300 CID straight 6.
I love that 300 CID inline six. I had three of 'em: 77 F100 3-on-tree, 84 F150 4-on-floor (3-speed + OD), and 96 5-on-floor (4-speed + OD).

That engine is a Torque Monster. Would love to have one built with Clifford Performance parts in say a Ford Fairmont with a 3 speed (1980s midsize sedan).
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

I feel the same way about that engine. Nice you had 3! About 7 years ago when I was looking for a pickup truck, saw a 1990 F150. Wish I got that, was an 8' bed, the 300 engine and 4 speed + OD, and 4WD. Would have been the ultimate truck for me. At the time, still had the youngest living at home who had an old car to commute to college. The truck would also be in case he needed to borrow it. Of course he didn't know how to drive a manual.

Kids these days. I know, I should have taught all my kids, one did drive my other rarity a couple times - a 1984 Dodge Caravan with the Chrysler 2.2L 4 and a 5 speed manual. A 2.6L 4 Mitsubishi engine was also available, but only with a 3 speed automatic. The Caravan with the 2.2L and manual transmission did just fine IMO. That model though, as low as you can go. Vinyl seats that didn't even recline. Of course crank windows.

i remember the Fairmont. Every once in a while I'll still see one on the road.

Regarding the 2.2L GM 4 cylinder - I see that's what you have in your truck. Every so often I'll see a 5 speed manual Saturn Vue for sale with that engine. i did some research, what I found is that it was one of the better 4 cylinders to come out of Detroit.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

They have the first gear labeled with a C for crawler. It wouldn't normally be used on the road, leaving six commonly used cogs. Power should be fine, though it is unfortunate they don't let you have the six with the manual. I don't feel compelled to skip anything in the six-speed C4, though GM thought you should skip both second and third in normal driving.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am Wonder what the extra cost for an automatic is? Will it deter people from switching up?

All good, but I like the good-old-days of 4-speed and even 3-speed manuals. With 7 gears you might start thinking you are driving a big rig. Is the engine that under powered that they have to have all those gears?
as IMBoring pointed out, the 1st gear is a creeper gear, probably like in the new Bronco. Not sure if that's their way of skipping having a low range transfer case, nor if it's a good substitute. eye remember them having the 5 speeds with the 1st gear semi-creeper back inn the 90s, but i believe those (with the 4wd) had a transfer case too. i think my dad's 92 f250 did at least. the 1st gear on that one wasn't that much lower (higher) than a normal truck 1st gear, but it helped with pulling loads, going up hills, getting started without stalling, etc. :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am Wonder what the extra cost for an automatic is? Will it deter people from switching up?

as IMBoring pointed out, the 1st gear is a creeper gear, probably like in the new Bronco. Not sure if that's their way of skipping having a low range transfer case, nor if it's a good substitute. eye remember them having the 5 speeds with the 1st gear semi-creeper back inn the 90s, but i believe those (with the 4wd) had a transfer case too. i think my dad's 92 f250 did at least. the 1st gear on that one wasn't that much lower (higher) than a normal truck 1st gear, but it helped with pulling loads, going up hills, getting started without stalling, etc. :)
As a summer hire forestry intern with the City of Southfield MI in the 1980s I sometimes got to drive the F350 dump truck. It had a 3-speed plus creeper gear. Was a fun truck to drive. Way better than the Chevy pickup with inline six and automatic that hardly could get out of its tracks that they usually assigned to me.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm

As a summer hire forestry intern with the City of Southfield MI in the 1980s I sometimes got to drive the F350 dump truck. It had a 3-speed plus creeper gear. Was a fun truck to drive. Way better than the Chevy pickup with inline six and automatic that hardly could get out of its tracks that they usually assigned to me.
Probably the New Process Gear 435 transmission. My BIL's F250 4x4 pick-m-up truck had one. UPS trucks used them too. I think in the Dodgem Trucks they shift knob showed L for Low and then 1, 2, 3, and Rev. First time I drove a Ram Pick-m-Up with the cummins diesel it had 4wd and 435 trans. In low range and creeper gear, that truck felt invincible.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 pm
Probably the New Process Gear 435 transmission. My BIL's F250 4x4 pick-m-up truck had one. UPS trucks used them too. I think in the Dodgem Trucks they shift knob showed L for Low and then 1, 2, 3, and Rev. First time I drove a Ram Pick-m-Up with the cummins diesel it had 4wd and 435 trans. In low range and creeper gear, that truck felt invincible.
It had a really long shift lever, maybe 2 feet IIRC. I think they had a similar tranny in the Hi Ranger (cherry picker tree trimmer truck) I got to drive a couple of times. Ha, the boss sent me in to the SOS to get a license to drive the high ranger, it was a commercial truck license. I knew nothing, guessed on most of the answers, passed and got the endorsement on my license. That means a lot of Bozos are driving big trucks that shouldn't be (like I was-- :lol: )

For those not from Michigan, SOS is Secretary of State (Michigan's equivalent of the DMV of most states)
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:08 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 pm

It had a really long shift lever, maybe 2 feet IIRC. I think they had a similar tranny in the Hi Ranger (cherry picker tree trimmer truck) I got to drive a couple of times. Ha, the boss sent me in to the SOS to get a license to drive the high ranger, it was a commercial truck license. I knew nothing, guessed on most of the answers, passed and got the endorsement on my license. That means a lot of Bozos are driving big trucks that shouldn't be (like I was-- :lol: )

For those not from Michigan, SOS is Secretary of State (Michigan's equivalent of the DMV of most states)
Hey, I think I saw you driving that truck!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:53 am
Hey, I think I saw you driving that truck!
[/quote]

Ha ha, that could be me. The boss at the City of Southfield called me a Bozo when I accidentally ran over a resident's garbage can with the city truck. :lol:
Last edited by ClutchFork on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

potownrob wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 am as IMBoring pointed out, the 1st gear is a creeper gear, probably like in the new Bronco. Not sure if that's their way of skipping having a low range transfer case, nor if it's a good substitute. eye remember them having the 5 speeds with the 1st gear semi-creeper back inn the 90s, but i believe those (with the 4wd) had a transfer case too. i think my dad's 92 f250 did at least. the 1st gear on that one wasn't that much lower (higher) than a normal truck 1st gear, but it helped with pulling loads, going up hills, getting started without stalling, etc. :)
The excerpt is about the Bronco. It will still have low range, with both part-time and selectable full-time systems (2H, 4A, 4H, 4L) available. Maximum available crawl ratio is 94.7:1.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:42 pm
potownrob wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 am as IMBoring pointed out, the 1st gear is a creeper gear, probably like in the new Bronco. Not sure if that's their way of skipping having a low range transfer case, nor if it's a good substitute. eye remember them having the 5 speeds with the 1st gear semi-creeper back inn the 90s, but i believe those (with the 4wd) had a transfer case too. i think my dad's 92 f250 did at least. the 1st gear on that one wasn't that much lower (higher) than a normal truck 1st gear, but it helped with pulling loads, going up hills, getting started without stalling, etc. :)
The excerpt is about the Bronco. It will still have low range, with both part-time and selectable full-time systems (2H, 4A, 4H, 4L) available. Maximum available crawl ratio is 94.7:1.
the excerpt OP posted (only one eye saw) only mentioned the lone ranger, but eye can imagine them having the same drivetrain. good that they'll still have low range too. should make for some epic crawling and climbing. :D :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It talks about the Ranger's engine. Ranger itself is not yet in on the party, but may be when it moves to be more heavily based on the Bronco for the next gen.