A standard is standard on this new (revived) model

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: A standard is standard on this new (revived) model

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:03 pm It talks about the Ranger's engine. Ranger itself is not yet in on the party, but may be when it moves to be more heavily based on the Bronco for the next gen.
ahh, gotcha :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Yea, sorry I didn't mention the quote from Motorweek was regarding the Ford Bronco. I believe the Ranger is only available with an automatic.

The new 'compact' pickup trucks that have been revived aren't so small, or inexpensive. I just watched an old clip of a Motorweek review of a 1994 Chevy S-10, and a 1988 Chevy Cheyene. Both had the 4.3 V6 and automatics, but the base models came with manuals. The most basic Cheyene was a 4 speed manual, but a 5 speed was available. I had 4 speed floor shift manuals on an 1980 Dodge D100 and 1980 Ford Club Wagon. Not efficient by today's standards but better fuel economy that the 3 speed automatics of the era with no overdrive.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ahh, that makes more sense. the thought of a manuel ranger brings back memories of learning to shift on dad's old 84 ranger; rust, backfires and all. then he later had a 90 or so F250 with the inline 6 and granny gear. replaced that with a mid-2000s gmc sierra V8 with the backseats and a cap and auto of course. my stepmom felt the need to explain to me that they had to make a decision based on them both using the truck (she could drive manuel too but preferred not to on a daily basis). eye told her she doesn't have to explain it to me, they were in their late 50s by then, plus the truck was like 20 feet long with no rearward visibility (they had old-school parking sensors but no camera). that truck's engine started having trouble after ten years and they replaced it with a 2015 outback. dad's in his 70s now, so doubt he'll ever go back to the manuel.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.