Thinking of a replacement car

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Thinking of a replacement car

Post by bk7794 »

I'm looking at replacing my Passat as soon as this Corona virus lockdown is over. I'm debating at going with an SUV/Truck (to help with moving things) or since I'm still single with no kids, a sportier car/hatch. I'd probably try to find a cheap pickup and stow it at my folks house.

I really enjoyed the Subaru BRZ but really can't find many in the used market. I enjoyed the no rev hang and the NA fun.

I've also been contemplating a Mustang, probably an 11+ V6 or V8. I test drove a new ecoboost once, the MT82 manual really isn't my favorite. but still something I'm considering.

I've also been looking at some mk6 GTIs, Focus STs etc.

I really do like the higher seating position with a truck, but I've looked at a newer Tacoma and Ranger. The price is hard to swallow

I considered dropping the manual all together and going with a good auto like a Charger v6 or something as well.

Just curious on any ideas.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Thinking of a replacement car

Post by watkins »

You are allllll over the map with those ideas. You need to narrow down the type of vehicle you want/need first.

We don't need a pickup because we have a trailer, for example. So as long as a hitch can be installed and the vehicle has a decent tow rating, all's well. At this point, its just the two of us, so big vehicles aren't needed but sometimes extra seats are helpful. I drive manual, the wife dislikes it.

This is how we ended up with my manual wagon, a two door Wrangler, and the Mazda 2. The Saab is sporty because I felt like it. The tow rating of 3500 lbs helps. The Wrangler is the fun toy that doubles as a tow vehicle. Oddly the tow rating is only 2k lbs, but I'm definitely comfortable with way more. The Mazda is a backup for the wife when I take the Jeep, fuel saver, and wet dog transport.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I know....it gets brought up every time I talk about it with people lol

I have thought about the whole trailer thing. My S60 could tow 5500lbs. Amazing how a lot of cars for the american market magically lose their tow rating. Take a look at a golf/focus in the US vs Europe.

ideally..I'd like something that's fun to drive within the limits of the road. How do you like your Wrangler? Do you have the manual?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

The Wrangler has been awesome. We've put 28k miles on it since Halloween '18 and haven't had any issues. Sadly (not really, the JL manual is garbage) we have an auto because it's primarily my wife's daily. That said, I did opt for the upgrade to the 2.0 turbo with etorque. That thing is seriously enjoyable and makes for a good time blowing the doors off of Focus STs and other boy racer cars. Especially when the doors are already off the Jeep.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Is yours a JL? A buddy of mine has one with the 3.6.

You said the manual is garbage on the JL? Is it because they went with a cable shifter compared to the direct one in previous years?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

It is a JL. The cable shifter feels fine, but barely. The clutch is absolutely terrible, however.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

that's a shame. I had heard the clutch was hard to get used to on a few videos.

Any experience with the eco diesels? the first and current gen? Are they really as bad as they all say? I've always had my eye on a Grand Cherokee with one.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Do not under any circumstances - aside from intended destruction - buy an ecodiesel. They're absolute garbage engines and we have nothing but problems with them.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Wow thats a shame. I feel they're really messing up these light/medium duty diesels. Nissans Cummins was a POS from what I hear, the Chrysler one, Ford and GMs have timing belts and who knows how good they are.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

If you want a diesel, you need at least a 3/4 ton truck. If you want a good diesel, you buy a Ram. The Cummins has always been the best in the business.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

An interesting discussion on trailer tow ratings and why they differ from country to country.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

Oh, and THIS:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSTMYNqBW8[/youtube]
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

There's also the marketing answer...Europe's policies are such that operating expenses and taxation are crippling on large vehicles with large engines, so if your entrant into the family car market can't do everything the customer wants to do with it, you lose the sale. Here, if your entrant into the family car market can't do everything the customer wants to do with it, you upsell them into an SUV.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:59 am An interesting discussion on trailer tow ratings and why they differ from country to country.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

Oh, and THIS:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSTMYNqBW8[/youtube]
Science is precisely why I would immediately buy a quality weight distribution hitch with sway control if I decided to do stupid things with a trailer and the Jeep. The more robust suspension and big brakes (and tow package) make it an ideal to vehicle, but the wheelbase is terrible.

I've discussed weights hung from the front bumper as a way to maintain good steer tire contact with a two door JK-owning friend. Ideal? Nope. Potentially helpful in an emergency? Yup. Unfortunately there's only so much he can do with load distribution when he's towing a camper.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Insurance companies and lawyers are not particularly noted for thinking outside the box. No matter how many extra measures you take so the vehicle performs within the parameters expected of a roadgoing vehicle and your own driving capabilities, if anything happens (even if it's 100% the other party's fault and nothing you were doing had anything to do with it), being outside the rating puts you in a precarious position with respect to insurance recovery and lawsuits.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Absolutely. But I also managed to insure a school bus as a motorhome, so who knows.