Modern Amish Transportation

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Modern Amish Transportation

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition Up for Grabs

Honda sponsors a sweepstakes offering a 2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition, along with a racetrack experience with Honda IndyCar driver Colton Herta.

Whattayawanna bet the winner isn't Amish?

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/hond ... tion-grabs
No matter. I never liked the designs of Hot Wheels, and that one looks like it came from the Hot Wheels blister pack on the hooks at my local department store toy shelves. I keep my ratty beater S10.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:44 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition Up for Grabs

Honda sponsors a sweepstakes offering a 2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition, along with a racetrack experience with Honda IndyCar driver Colton Herta.

Whattayawanna bet the winner isn't Amish?

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/hond ... tion-grabs
No matter. I never liked the designs of Hot Wheels, and that one looks like it came from the Hot Wheels blister pack on the hooks at my local department store toy shelves. I keep my ratty beater S10.
But if you twist it and fold it, it becomes a giant robot.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What Was the Last 3-on-the-Floor Manual Car Americans Could Buy?

Actually, they could have gotten cheaper yet and not displayed the shift pattern, since it was grandfathered in the FMVSS Specification as the default unless otherwise specified.

"S3.2 Manual transmissions. Identification of the shift lever pattern of manual transmissions, except three forward speed manual transmissions having the standard “H” pattern, shall be displayed in view of the driver at all times when a driver is present in the driver's seating position.

[70 FR 38051, July 1, 2005, as amended at 70 FR 75965, Dec. 22, 2005]"

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... could-buy/
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

That 3-speed is my kind of car. The only caution is that you don't throw it into reverse on a 1-2 shift. That is where the 4-speed is better because it is a straight pull back for the 1-2 shift, which I suspect is going to be quicker than a push forward, even if the forward push was a straight path. That said, my high school buddy back in the mid 1970s bought a used V8 Javelin with a three speed on the floor. That car had plenty of go. Lots of fun. Three forward gears is all ya need for fun.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

There are dogleg four-, five-, and six-speeds too.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sure, the dogleg pattern looks to be uncomfortable, but I have it from good sources that it is actually very comfortable.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

CADILLAC IS #SAVINGTHEMANUAL
Cadillac is #savingthemanual. When the high-performance Blackwing edition of the CT4- and CT5-V hit the market next summer they’ll be available with a 6-speed manual transmission, which it says is quieter and more durable than the previous generation. Along with the manual will come GM’s first 3D printed components in a production vehicle. Two of the HVAC ducts, an electrical harness bracket and the medallion that sits on top of the shifter knob are all 3D printed. The Blackwing models will also offer an optional 10-speed automatic.

"The Current Manual Market

In a recent Harris Poll study conducted on behalf of Cadillac about the current knowledge and adoption of the manual transmission found:

Sixty-six percent of American adults surveyed know how to drive a manual.
Of those who do not know how to drive a manual, roughly 40 percent are either somewhat or very interested in learning.
More than half (55 percent) of American adults say they have owned or leased a car with a manual transmission.
Interest in driving or learning to drive a manual is higher among those with $75,000 or more in annual household income (64 percent interested) and those between 18-34 in age (62 percent interested)."

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/ ... kwing.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW DROPPING GOLF FROM THE U.S. - KINDA

The Volkswagen Golf is an icon in the industry. It’s usually the best selling car in Europe and one of the best in the world. But yesterday VW announced it’s dropping the Golf in the American market. Last year VW sold fewer than 15,000 in the U.S. Fortunately, it will keep selling the GTI and R versions of the Golf, probably for two reasons. First, VW grosses $5,000 more per GTI and $15,000 more per R than a normal Golf. Second, GTI and R owners passionately support the brand and you don’t want to lose customers like that. This is just another example of how the passenger car segment is shrinking. VW already dropped the Beetle and the CC, and we wonder if the Arteon will be the next to go. Last year VW only sold 3,600 of them in the American market. But the Jetta and Passat look safe. They have decent volume and in fact, sales of the Passat went up 62% last year despite the pandemic.

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1461
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

HONDA OFFERING CIVIC TYPE R CRATE ENGINE
The engine in the Honda Civic Type R is a sweet bit of kit, so in 2017 Honda started offering it as a crate engine. But it was only available to Honda Racing Line members and race teams and it didn’t include the controls to run it. Well, the automaker is changing that. Starting May 1st, Honda will sell its K20C1 engine, including alternator, turbocharger, and starter and the ECU, wire harness and accelerator pedal, to anyone that’s willing to shell out the required $9,000. The package can be purchased through HPD’s newly established official dealers.

Hey....what about the transmixer?

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-racin ... ls-package
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

HIGH MANUAL TAKE RATE IN 911 GT3 SURPRISES PORSCHE From Autoline Daily
The automatic transmission may have been popularized in North America, but we’re not letting manuals go away without a fight. And that’s especially true of sporty cars, like the Porsche 911 GT3. While it also offers an automatic, 70% of Americans opted for the manual in the GT3. And don’t think that’s the norm for the car. Global take rate for the manual in the GT3 is only 30%. Even Porsche was surprised by the manual in the GT3. The Brands head of motorsport said, “We lost several bottles of wine by betting on the take rate when we reintroduced the manual option. We were surprised by how high it was.” Other cars like the Subaru WRX and BRZ, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Volkswagen Golf also have high manual take rates.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/28/por ... take-rate/
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:08 pm VW DROPPING GOLF FROM THE U.S. - KINDA

The Volkswagen Golf is an icon in the industry. It’s usually the best selling car in Europe and one of the best in the world. But yesterday VW announced it’s dropping the Golf in the American market. Last year VW sold fewer than 15,000 in the U.S. Fortunately, it will keep selling the GTI and R versions of the Golf, probably for two reasons. First, VW grosses $5,000 more per GTI and $15,000 more per R than a normal Golf. Second, GTI and R owners passionately support the brand and you don’t want to lose customers like that. This is just another example of how the passenger car segment is shrinking. VW already dropped the Beetle and the CC, and we wonder if the Arteon will be the next to go. Last year VW only sold 3,600 of them in the American market. But the Jetta and Passat look safe. They have decent volume and in fact, sales of the Passat went up 62% last year despite the pandemic.

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1461
Epically sad and ironic since the Golf is a fun little car and built better than the Jetta and Passat. Reading into this article, it’s clear to me the Golf is a better car than people realize. As I was telling BK, it’s not much less sporty than the GTI. It also doesn’t hold its value as well and can be had on the used market fairly cheaply. Go get your VW kicks on route 176, BK :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.