Modern Amish Transportation

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Modern Amish Transportation

Post by Rope-Pusher »

What Was the Last 3-On-the-Tree Column-Shift Manual Car Americans Could Buy?
Chrysler put the three-speed column-shift manual on the map back in the 1939 model year, with the "Remote Control" shifter setup in the '39 Plymouths. This rig allowed the use of a big, cushy bench seat and three-abreast seating, without a floor shifter banging into anyone's knees.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/class ... %20Openers
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

The column shift was a luxury option for sure. Too bad nowadays they don't have the same view of luxury.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

well, they looked cool, and looked cool being shifted, but didn't they tend to wear out over time? the only one eye ever saw being shifted in person was in my high school friend's dad's 80s (i think it was 80s and not 70s) econoline van. he had the engine hatch opened up more than closed off on that van though. there was a member on here from london, ontario, who either had or drove and posted a video showing him driving an older car with a 3 speed column shift. eye believe his name was something like darkpilot. worked at an airport eye believe. probably an astronaut by now. he came to the 2010 international SS meat in WV, but he had a 4th gen jetta back then. eye actually had fun driving that thing, but didn't have a chance at keeping up with watkins in his viggen, especially through the WV twisties. :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

My second column shifted vehicle. Notice the bottle opener on a magnet to the metal dash. Nowadays dashboards are worthless. My sister is driving it in the photo. Also notice Jimi Hendrix and a chunck of Fordalite paint stone hanging from the mirror. Alpine cassette deck. Truck is 77 F100 with 300 cid I6 and 2wd. This is the truck I took over Tincup Pass in Colorado. Lower photo is later and has the home made door panels (from some 1/8-thick wood product). Can't do that with a modern care either.

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Nice! I always liked the older Ford trucks (through the 90s). Learned Manuel on an 85 Ranger and learned more on an early 90s I6 F250 with the baseball bat shifter and creeper 1st gear. Both were very easy to drive.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW adds hp, torque to 2022 Golf R
"Volkswagen Canada calls the 6-speed manual transmission “a key feature that remains popular in the Canadian market.” "

https://canada.autonews.com/cars-concep ... 2-readmore
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:43 pm VW adds hp, torque to 2022 Golf R
"Volkswagen Canada calls the 6-speed manual transmission “a key feature that remains popular in the Canadian market.” "

https://canada.autonews.com/cars-concep ... 2-readmore
Too lazy to search, but wonder if the US model will be offered with the Manuel; I’d imagine sew, but you never know what they’ll dew hier...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:54 pm Nice! I always liked the older Ford trucks (through the 90s). Learned Manuel on an 85 Ranger and learned more on an early 90s I6 F250 with the baseball bat shifter and creeper 1st gear. Both were very easy to drive.
My first experience driving a stick was a wrecker at a gas station I was working at as a pump jockey in the mid 70s as a teenager. At first I launched it by putting it in creeper and engaging the starter to both start the engine and roll out. Ha ha!

Other fun trucks I got to drive on jobs included a mid-80s F350 dump truck with 4-speed creeper and a big Chevy high ranger (cherry picker) truck with a 4-speed creeper, all that working for the City of Southfield, Michigan, as a Forestry Intern. Great life when you can drive a stick and get paid for it!
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

NICE!! Talk about dream job. eye think my thirst job ever was as an usher at some ritzy outdoor concert series. other than getting friendzoned by one of the hottest girls in school and mistaking her sister for her mom, it was a fun concert series. met a lot of cool people and the scenery was nice (set on the side of a mountain overlooking amenia and that valley near the ny/ct border). know sticks involved. mainly orchestra music but eye was more into that back then. OH, and the food was incredible too :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I had a paper route, then moved on to yard-work, painting, window washing, and baby sitting. I worked as the assistant animal control officer for about a year (Deputy Dawg!), but it wasn't until I worked for a landscaping / lawn cutting business one summer that I got special treatment because of my religion. I was asked to move the company truck because I was the only hired hand that was of the Amish faith. It had an NP435, a 4-speed with a super-low (High ratio) granny gear for first gear...I think the shift knob was marked L-1-2-3-R.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2022 MY Civic Prototype (Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge)
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:39 pm Image
Need an interior shot showing the proper equipment.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:40 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:39 pm Image
Need an interior shot showing the proper equipment.
yeah, fat chance of that. Read another article saying that’s a rolling shell they’re showing in these pics. Wouldn’t bee sir prized if they only offer the manual in the Si and Type R this time around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NEW SUBARU BRZ BREAKS COVER

Subaru pulled the wraps off the new BRZ sports car. With a smaller grille opening and more body color on the fascia, the hood seems to cascade over the front of the vehicle. Large air vents were added behind the front tires and the spoiler has been integrated into the rear, rather than hovering above the decklid. The license plate holder moved down to the rear bumper, which allowed for new taillight assemblies and a different treatment around the exhaust. The interior also sees some big changes. A 7-inch digital instrument cluster is flanked by an 8-inch center display screen. The dash features a layered look as well and there’s no longer a hump over the center air vents. Under the hood is a new 2.4L BOXER engine, which replaces a 2.0L unit. It makes 228 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. That’s a jump of 23 horsepower and 28 lb-ft of torque. Despite the larger engine, the new BRZ weighs about the same as the outgoing model thanks to aluminum being used for the hood, front fenders and roof. Power is routed through either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic that features a new Sport mode, which allows for faster downshifts and throttle blipping. The new BRZ will go on sale in fall of next year.

https://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1 ... obal-debut
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition Up for Grabs

Honda sponsors a sweepstakes offering a 2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition, along with a racetrack experience with Honda IndyCar driver Colton Herta.

Whattayawanna bet the winner isn't Amish?

https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/hond ... tion-grabs