Has anyone thought about buying an Automatic?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Has anyone thought about buying an Automatic?

Post by bk7794 »

I'm curious, has anyone ever thought about getting an Automatic? With modern day trucks only being made in auto and some big cheap comfortable cars only being made in stick it makes it difficult to not consider an Auto. Thoughts?

This forum needs some of this Image
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
IMBoring25

Re: Has anyone thought about buying an Automatic?

Post by IMBoring25 »

I actually do own an automatic, but it was my first car, bought from a relative, and is a model that was never available with a manual. I've given some thought to converting it, but it hasn't needed heavy enough drivetrain work to make it justifiable when everything else is manual.

Aside from that, no. There is one manufacturer still making manual-transmission trucks...Ram. I never thought I'd own a Chrysler product, but kicking around the idea of a new one warmed me up enough to the notion to pick up an '08 2500 that hit the market about six weeks ago. If I hadn't been replacing a truck and concerned about possible need for a heavy-hauler in the next couple of years, the other prospects would have been a Mustang or Chevy SS. As long as a manual that meets mission requirements is available I see no reason to compromise that requirement.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I'm curious, has anyone ever thought about getting an Automatic?
yes
With modern day trucks only being made in auto and some big cheap comfortable cars only being made in stick it makes it difficult to not consider an Auto. Thoughts?
yessir
This forum needs some of this Image
amen :!:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I can't remember what prompted it, but I'll admit that I recently had a passing, momentary thought about kinda wondering if I could be ok with an automatic for a daily driver. If it comes back I'll try to remember and post to this thread.

I don't mind it for something that doesn't get driven often, and I can't deny the utility and convenience of having it available should I ever suffer a leg injury that would leave me crutch-clutching, or other such cliched situations.
IMBoring25 wrote:I never thought I'd own a Chrysler product, but kicking around the idea of a new one warmed me up enough to the notion to pick up an '08 2500 that hit the market about six weeks ago. If I hadn't been replacing a truck and concerned about possible need for a heavy-hauler in the next couple of years, the other prospects would have been a Mustang or Chevy SS. As long as a manual that meets mission requirements is available I see no reason to compromise that requirement.
Well said, both on the Chrysler thing and the no need to compromise.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I used to drive them exclusively, but have preferred manuals since 2011. I currently own an automatic, my Buick which mom drives, and a manual, Bubonic Freddie (2016 Mazda3 iTouring).

Transmission will never be a sole deciding factor unless it's a CVT. That will not happen as long as I have a choice in the matter. Recently test drove an Accord Sport with the striptease and it reminded me of a Sentra I drove 5 years ago, and not in a good way.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From 1997 to 2008, none of my personal vehicles were of the Amish faith.
It was mostly matter of the vehicles that I leased not being available, or at least not available for lease, except with slushboxes.
I became this slushbox mercinary when I was turning in my Amish '95 Neon at the end of the lease and wanted to lease a similarly equipped '97 model. The dealership informed me that it would cost more to lease an Amish one this time....oh, and more in general....$60 more per month for basically the same car. I started shopping leases by price and found a Jeep Cherokee "Country" for lease at the same rate as the '95 Neon, but it wouldn't be Amish.
Seeing as I was getting my fix on a regular basis - I drove Amish vehicles 5 days a week at work and sometimes borrowed them on weekends as well -I didn't feel the need to purchase an Amish vehicle instead of taking advantage of relatively inexpensive lease rates.
My '08 Liberty started out as an in-house lease from my employer that I purchased after the 2-year lease ended. It was the last year they were built with Amish transmissions, so I'm planning on driving it until the wheels fall off.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, sure. I really don't have qualms with driving an auto daily, but it heavily depends on the vehicle type.

For example, I would never consider an automatic Wrangler, a sports car, a muscle car or a motorcycle (Honda makes automatic motorcycles but they are pretty much the only ones that do). But, I wouldn't mind driving a more luxurious car or truck with an auto. I have been traveling a lot, so that means I rent a lot, and with that I've accumulated points for good upgrades. I have spent a few weeks in an Audi Q5, a few weeks in a nicely loaded Grand Cherokee and I wouldn't mind driving either with an auto. Same with a half ton truck, but only if it's more of a lux truck, like a King Ranch Efff One Fiddy.

I guess overall, if the car has any sporting intentions, I want manual. If more of a luxury type car, I'd be fine with an auto. Sporty lux? Manual. Where does the Forester fall? I do like manual in practical vehicles, but I also LOATHED the CVT in the Forester and HATED the fact that it was doing a 60/40 F/R torque spli under normal driving conditions (50/50 when slippage detected). Manual is always 50/50 and that was important to me.

Having said all that I still very much enjoy a manual and I do enjoy getting into my car after weeks of rental cars - even nice ones. So it's likely that I'll always own a manual vehicle of some sort.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:I have spent a few weeks in an Audi Q5, a few weeks in a nicely loaded Grand Cherokee and I wouldn't mind driving either with an auto.
It's not like you had a choice. They don't come in manual.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

six wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I have spent a few weeks in an Audi Q5, a few weeks in a nicely loaded Grand Cherokee and I wouldn't mind driving either with an auto.
It's not like you had a choice. They don't come in manual.
That's true. But I wouldn't actually want one of those with a manual.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I do wish they had a manual for the SRT Grand Cherokee.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:I do wish they had a manual for the SRT Grand Cherokee.
Check the glovebox. There should be one in there. :mrgreen:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
watkins wrote:I do wish they had a manual for the SRT Grand Cherokee.
Check the glovebox. There should be one in there. :mrgreen:
Gnaw - in these trying times they supply the owner with a cdrom.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Gnaw - in these trying times they supply the owner with a cdrom.
What good would that do? Most users don't have CD or DVD drives anymore.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Gnaw - in these trying times they supply the owner with a cdrom.
What good would that do? Most users don't have CD or DVD drives anymore.
What good would it be?

I ask Hugh, what difference does it make what media they publish it on if NOBODY is going to read it anyway?

They've been printing them in Sanskrit for years now and nobody noticed.

That stupid Russian specimen (Checkov, wasn't it?) would have had the park brake applied before he got out of the car if he had read the manuel.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I wasn't going to buy one anyway
2017 Honda CR-V is here, and it’s going turbo

FIFTH-GENERATION PEOPLE-HAULER DOESN'T MESS WITH SUCCESS (BUT IT DOES BRING BACK THE VOLUME KNOB)
"The big shakeup is under the hood: Base LX trims still get a carryover naturally aspirated 2.4-liter, but everything from EX-trimmed vehicles on up get 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-four -- the first forced-induction foray for the model, and yet more evidence that Honda is all-in on turbos. The 1.5-liter turbo kicks out 190 hp; that’s not much more than the current CR-V’s stated 185 hp, but we expect to see increased torque and improved fuel economy.

Though neither of those figures have been released, Honda says it’s aiming for best-in-class fuel mileage. The outgoing CR-V gets 25 mpg city/31 mpg highway/27 mpg combined, so look for something north of that.

As before, all 2017 CR-Vs will be equipped with continuously variable transmissions; both all-wheel drive and front-wheel drive configurations will be offered."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/20 ... z4N4bwYKHS