17 impreza dropping the manual

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

17 impreza dropping the manual

Post by bk7794 »

Seems that more and more companies are doing it. I'm wondering what car will keep the manual in about 10 years. I was always assuming the Corolla would keep the manual, but they're dropping it relatively soon. I figured Honda would keep it, but look at the Acura brand. I'm sure it's just a matter of time for the Accord. Though, I do see a lot of Manual Accords floating around.

So what are your thoughts?

Link to article: http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-q ... r-decision

Personally, I was hoping for a FWD option. I just feel that AWD is useless in a car that has the same ground clearance as a Corolla or Camry. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've driven in some good amount of snow with my Civic. Only time I've had an issue is when I slid into a curb. That was genuinely my fault and maybe better tires would have helped. AWD definitely would NOT have helped in that scenario.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 17 impreza dropping the manual

Post by theholycow »

For some people AWD really does help. For a lot of people it's just an excellent way to sell a car.

I'm surprised Subaru would drop the manual option...that seemed almost as brand-iconic as AWD.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

That company was one of the only remaining car makers where you could get an AWD with a manual. Guess I will now have to keep my AWD Element with an MT forever. Not the cheapest car on the market, but AUDI has some more manual trans options. Link below

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-audi- ... im-levels/
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

the VW alltrack as well. That will be available with a stick
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I did just buy my first 4WD vehicle ever after only RWD vehicles so far, but I don't anticipate ever needing it for winter driving conditions. For most, the added confidence afforded by AWD's acceleration capabilities probably does more harm than good for actually safely arriving at their destinations.

Whether ground clearance is critical would depend on what conditions are typical for your area. We usually get ice or light snow, for which ground clearance wouldn't be critical, but I do like truck ground clearance in my winter driver for the occasional heavier snow with ridges that wind up getting built up between lanes or plowed into intersections.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Bill B wrote:That company was one of the only remaining car makers where you could get an AWD with a manual.
Are they dropping manual from their entire product line? I thought the article only said the Impreza. Sure, IIRC some of their models (Outback, WRX) originated as trim levels on the Impreza, but AFAIK they consider them separate models entirely now.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

theholycow wrote:
Bill B wrote:That company was one of the only remaining car makers where you could get an AWD with a manual.
Are they dropping manual from their entire product line? I thought the article only said the Impreza. Sure, IIRC some of their models (Outback, WRX) originated as trim levels on the Impreza, but AFAIK they consider them separate models entirely now.
I think the Impreza was one of the last cars they had that wasn't overly performance oriented that still had a 5 speed offering. I think those ships sailed already for the Legacy, Forester, and Outback within 1-2 generations ago. So essentially, I'm guessing yes is the answer to your question. I actually had a chance to try the 5 speed base impreza in hatch back form and it's gear box is not very good. Actually now that I think of it in hindsight the WRX (2015) gear box wasn't that good either. I guess it's a feel preference but gear engagements felt rubbery if that makes sense, and moving the stick felt like I was rowing a stick through wet cement. It felt odd to me especially now being a regular user of my VW gearbox. It was no comparison.
bk7794 wrote:the VW alltrack as well. That will be available with a stick
That's a surprising move to me because the GSW doesn't have any stick variants in the US and they basically killed off the 5 speed in the TSI for 2017. I find it funny that we get the CEO of Porsche and his first big moves are killing off the 2 door GTI, and bringing over a Subaru Outback wannabe. Might be a good move sales wise but I was hoping for some expansion on the GTI line not for it to get cut up.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Ok, so I just checked. It appears that the Forester and Crosstrek both still offer row-your-own for 2017.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Back in the days of yore, Chrysler offered 4 or 5-speed manual transaxles on their dodge and Plymouth minivans.

After a couple years, they added a second minivan production plant because sales were so good.

After a couple more years, they dropped North American availability of Amish minivans because they were building every possible minivan they could and each Amish minivan meant one less slushbox minivan....and there was more profit in the slushboxes since they cost less to build and commanded higher purchase prices - win-win for the beancounters, lose-lose for Ezekiel and Jakob.

Subaru has had sales growth lately, such that they are building just about as many vehicles as possible. It wouldn't surprise me if some beancounter added up the numbers and decided they were missing a lot of profit if they continued to build vehicles for the Amish crowd.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Do you know much about the manual minivans? My parents have one I'd really like to monkey with. Would make for a cool project.

Also
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

theholycow wrote:Ok, so I just checked. It appears that the Forester and Crosstrek both still offer row-your-own for 2017.
I stand corrected here. Didn't realize it was still alive and well in the Forester and Crosstrek. Just read an article that Audi is offering no cost manual transmission across all trims.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-audi- ... im-levels/

Bizarre since the A3/S3 there's nothing to speak of and really across the board (EVEN THE TT SOMEHOW) they pretty much abandoned it. Getting a manual transmission though at a rate that includes an expensive DSG is pretty crappy but at least it's an option.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote:Do you know much about the manual minivans? My parents have one I'd really like to monkey with. Would make for a cool project.

Also
Yes, I worked on Turbo minivans from the first gen, 1984, all the way until the last, 1994 for North America and maybe 2005 or so for export markets, which were being built in Graz Austria for a few years by then.

That "Turbo Encabulator" video is timeless humor.
"It's a simple head code. Anyone can catch it"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

The 95 Voyager 3.0 capable of a 5 speed? Might be a good thread on this page some day.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

bk7794 wrote:The 95 Voyager 3.0 capable of a 5 speed? Might be a good thread on this page some day.
Didn't InlinePaul have one when his Mercury Mountaineer decided to be a brat?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
theholycow wrote:
I think the Impreza was one of the last cars they had that wasn't overly performance oriented that still had a 5 speed offering. I think those ships sailed already for the Legacy, Forester, and Outback within 1-2 generations ago. So essentially, I'm guessing yes is the answer to your question. I actually had a chance to try the 5 speed base impreza in hatch back form and it's gear box is not very good. Actually now that I think of it in hindsight the WRX (2015) gear box wasn't that good either. I guess it's a feel preference but gear engagements felt rubbery if that makes sense, and moving the stick felt like I was rowing a stick through wet cement. It felt odd to me especially now being a regular user of my VW gearbox. It was no comparison.
bk7794 wrote:the VW alltrack as well. That will be available with a stick
That's a surprising move to me because the GSW doesn't have any stick variants in the US and they basically killed off the 5 speed in the TSI for 2017. I find it funny that we get the CEO of Porsche and his first big moves are killing off the 2 door GTI, and bringing over a Subaru Outback wannabe. Might be a good move sales wise but I was hoping for some expansion on the GTI line not for it to get cut up.
not sure where to start with all this...i'll take whatever you're on man... :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.