So I've been thinking of getting another car...again

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: So I've been thinking of getting another car...again

Post by six »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I've also been interested in a couple of other options such as an 04-06 TL, perhaps even a Saab 9-5. I'd like to get something a bit bigger than my Civic with a bit more comfort.

Any thoughts?
1st gen TSX (or the cars you listed) FTW!!!! :twisted:
These TLs, TSX and such are so expensive. Like 5500 for a car that has like 140k miles.
Don't forget those cars are originally $35,000 - $40,000 brand new. When looked at that way, it's a bargain! And spending $5,000 on a nice car that will last you around 5 years is better than getting 5 $1,000 not so nice cars that will each die on you in a year.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I've also been interested in a couple of other options such as an 04-06 TL, perhaps even a Saab 9-5. I'd like to get something a bit bigger than my Civic with a bit more comfort.

Any thoughts?
1st gen TSX (or the cars you listed) FTW!!!! :twisted:
These TLs, TSX and such are so expensive. Like 5500 for a car that has like 140k miles.
The first gen TL is one of my all-time favorite plebeian cars. I've loved them since my friend had an '04 manual. And the cool thing is, they STILL look good today. They have aged very well, they are comfy, quick-ish, look good. What's not to love?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I drove an 07 TL 6MT after replacing brakes for a friend. Dangerous doesn't begin to describe my impressions.

It's since been killed in a HAR accident. Replaced by a 2010 A4 2.0T. Haven't driven that yet.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I think I've been spoiled by Crown Vic prices. 2500 bucks for one with like 120k. Those were quite pricey as well when new. It's not that I'm saying they're bad cars. Their price is just absurd...especially for ones with such high mileage. The only reasonable priced ones I've seen had like 220k miles. I've always wanted to get a BMW as well. Been thinking of an older 3 or 5 series. Can finally get the inline 6 itch out of my system.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote:I think I've been spoiled by Crown Vic prices. 2500 bucks for one with like 120k. Those were quite pricey as well when new. It's not that I'm saying they're bad cars. Their price is just absurd...especially for ones with such high mileage. The only reasonable priced ones I've seen had like 220k miles. I've always wanted to get a BMW as well. Been thinking of an older 3 or 5 series. Can finally get the inline 6 itch out of my system.
LeMons Good/Bad Idea of the Week: E30 BMW 325i With Chrysler Slant-Six Power
http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-galle ... -six-power

No sense paying high-dollar for keeping an old BMW six on the road.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I haven't said that the TL and TSX aren't bad cars but these prices are insane.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5284005056.html 5800 bucks for a TSX with 251k miles.

I wonder what the RSX is like.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

It's all about resale value, and Acura has some of the highest. And now you've experienced it. :P
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I haven't said that the TL and TSX aren't bad cars but these prices are insane.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5284005056.html 5800 bucks for a TSX with 251k miles.

I wonder what the RSX is like.
you could probably get that seller down based on the high miles and a/c issue. he's probably pricing above what he expects anyway. from the pics (not that they're the clearest), it looks like a well taken care of specimen. if nothing else, you could test drive the car to see if you like the TSX.

as for the RSX, it is nice, but i would say the TSX is probably significantly nicer - more comfortable seats, more luxury features, more interior room (rsx is a hatch, which has its own benefits though). i would think of the RSX as a slightly more luxurious Si. a base RSX is not going to feel much different from your current civic, and the earlier Type-S models had tranny issues. if i were going for an RSX, i would try to find a 2005-6 model with the nicer seats and looks. i forget if the type-s had nicer seats for 05-06 vs the older ones, but the base models got much nicer seats for 05. i test drove an 04 base with the old seats, and they felt a lot like the civic's seats and the car felt like my old civic. the leather type-s seats didn't feel any better, from what i remember. a friend then leased an 05 base RSX with the new seats, and they felt more upscale, and the car was a hoot to drive, despite the less powerful engine.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

God I hate used car shopping...lol. It's such an emotionally daunting project. It's a shame because my car seems to be in decent shape. I just hate these seats and other bits of the interior. I suppose more power would be better.

That TL had 204k miles lol. It's a shame there aren't more BMW 5 Series lingering around. Those seem to be a decent size plus RWD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:That TL had 204k miles lol. It's a shame there aren't more BMW 5 Series lingering around. Those seem to be a decent size plus RWD
you're worried about hondas with high miles, but an old bmw is no problem?? :? :lol: 8)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:you're worried about hondas with high miles, but an old bmw is no problem?? :? :lol: 8)
A very minor compromise for getting RWD IMO.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:That TL had 204k miles lol. It's a shame there aren't more BMW 5 Series lingering around. Those seem to be a decent size plus RWD
you're worried about hondas with high miles, but an old bmw is no problem?? :? :lol: 8)
Most of those have like 130k miles. Pretty robust powertrains and more reasonably priced.