2015 Mustang v 2015 Subaru WRX

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Which do I get based MAINLY on more driving pleasure?

2015 Mustang V6 Stick Shift
17%
2015 Mustang 4Cyl Turbo Stick Shift(?)
42%
2015 Subaru WRX Stick Shift
42%

Total votes: 12

ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Re: 2015 Mustang v 2015 Subaru WRX

Post by ManualShifterMz3s »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:talking about AWD and FWD with snow tires
I've driven FWD with snow tires through, what, two winters I believe? I've driven a 4x4 with siped and unsiped mud tires (mud tires often carry a snow tire designation on the sidewalls) and I've driven a RWF with summer performance tires in the snow - twice.

Here's how I would rank things in order of worst to best. In this case, "worst" and "best" are looked at in terms of overall traction and safety rather than the fun factor or personal preference.

RWD summer tires
RWD all season tires
FWD all season
FWD winter tires
AWD all seasons
AWD winter tires
4x4 mud tires (loose or deep snow and slush; they need siped for hardpack)

I prefer an all wheel drive with good all-seasons to FWD with a winter set. If the all-season tire is good (which many new compounds are), then the difference between stopping with a snow tire and a good all-season is not so dramatic. Sure, winter tire will still outperform an all-season, but in real world, breaking traction is still going to be very easy, so most will drive accordingly - slower and allow themselves more distance.
Interesting. Your ranking above sounds plausible. Without having the experiences of driving all types (as you), if I were to take a guess at the rankings, I probably would've ranked them the way you did from my readings and from practical driving experiences.

Good stuff tho...

PS. MY Jeep Grand Cherokee is 4X4 and has All Terrain tires.... so far, it's been fun plowing through the snow and climbing up some "mountains."

Just about a month ago it was snowing quite a bit and a line of vehicles (including mine, mid-way in the line) was stopped at a red light on a decent incline. As the light changed to green, the Altima in the front could not find traction and grip to pull itself up.

It was sliding from side to side. THe older 'benz behind him decides to overtake and he was stuck in the middle of the road trying.

By this time, with their antics, some space was created and I calmly drove off to the side, between a couple of trees, and onto the pavement (once it was safe) and cruised by all of them with a smile. I remember being in the Altima's position at one point in time.

It was nice to have the assurance of 4-wheel drive esp. when you need it.
2017 Ford Mustang, Eco-Boost, Turbo 4, 6 speed Grabber Blue
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Red < wife's ride
2004 Mazda 3, 2.3s, stick, Solar Yellow
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:Here's how I would rank things in order of worst to best. In this case, "worst" and "best" are looked at in terms of overall traction and safety rather than the fun factor or personal preference.

RWD summer tires
RWD all season tires
FWD all season
FWD winter tires
AWD all seasons
AWD winter tires
With me being in California, the list is reversed, with absolutely no need for winter tires whatsoever. And all-seasons if you want more wear, but essentially, in coastal California, summer-tires are essentially "all-season". :)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:talking about AWD and FWD with snow tires
I've driven FWD with snow tires through, what, two winters I believe? I've driven a 4x4 with siped and unsiped mud tires (mud tires often carry a snow tire designation on the sidewalls) and I've driven a RWF with summer performance tires in the snow - twice.

Here's how I would rank things in order of worst to best. In this case, "worst" and "best" are looked at in terms of overall traction and safety rather than the fun factor or personal preference.

RWD summer tires
RWD all season tires
FWD all season
FWD winter tires
AWD all seasons
AWD winter tires

I prefer an all wheel drive with good all-seasons to FWD with a winter set. If the all-season tire is good (which many new compounds are), then the difference between stopping with a snow tire and a good all-season is not so dramatic. Sure, winter tire will still outperform an all-season, but in real world, breaking traction is still going to be very easy, so most will drive accordingly - slower and allow themselves more distance.
id put more weight on the winter tires than your ranking list at least implies. I don't have much experience with RWD, but my understanding is they can be good with winter tires, even the typical FR setup. Whether they'd be better than FWD with all seasons or not I'm not sure but I have lost faith in FWD with all seasons for our winters.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I too would rate proper tires as far more significant...More significant, indeed, than drivetrain configuration. Some of that comes from the idea that being unable to turn or stop is usually more dangerous than having difficulty getting going and some of it comes from my inherent comfort with RWD, having owned only that configuration and driven it extensively in winter conditions.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:id put more weight on the winter tires than your ranking list at least implies. I don't have much experience with RWD, but my understanding is they can be good with winter tires, even the typical FR setup. Whether they'd be better than FWD with all seasons or not I'm not sure but I have lost faith in FWD with all seasons for our winters.
My Buick is better at slick conditions than most FWDs I've driven, especially when equipped with good studded winter tires. It grabs and holds and has great weight distribution for winter conditions, with the rear heavier than the front. Further, if I start to understeer I can give it some go and kick the rear out a bit to correct it...something that can only be done with RWD. However, RWD in winter in general, and especially that maneuever, requires lots of experience and 2nd-nature skill...if you don't have it and don't intend to practice enough then FWD would be safest and AWD would be the most effective. (FWD would be safer than AWD because it reminds you that traction is limited when AWD would let you accelerate too easily to notice.)
IMBoring25 wrote:being unable to turn or stop is usually more dangerous than having difficulty getting going
Zackly.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The wife's Mazda2 with snow tires is definitely better than anything AWD with all seasons that I have driven. Same roads, same speeds, and the Mazda just flat out outperforms because of the tires.
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

watkins wrote:The wife's Mazda2 with snow tires is definitely better than anything AWD with all seasons that I have driven. Same roads, same speeds, and the Mazda just flat out outperforms because of the tires.
Wow..... that's interesting. I would've imagined that AWD with all-seasons is better than a FWD w/snow tires. Hmm...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

A tire designed as a compromise versus one specifically designed for cold and snow really isnt a competition. Snow tires are going to out perform.

The tires being really narrow certainly aids in snow traction too, but rubber compound and tread design play the biggest roles in traction.
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

watkins wrote:A tire designed as a compromise versus one specifically designed for cold and snow really isnt a competition. Snow tires are going to out perform.

The tires being really narrow certainly aids in snow traction too, but rubber compound and tread design play the biggest roles in traction.
To your point....
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/vi ... ck-tested/
It sounds hard to believe, but almost any car with proper winter tires, even a rear-wheel-drive sports coupe, is easier and safer to drive in winter than
an all-wheel-drive SUV on all-seasons. With the right tires fitted, you won't just go better. You'll turn and stop better as
well.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

World’s First Original Mustang Replica
1964 ½ MUSTANG BROUGHT TO 2015 ½ STANDARDS
Do you want a the look of a classic car, but one that comes with the latest technology? Well check out a company called Revology, founded by former Ford SVT engineer Tom Scarpello. It’s producing brand new first-generation Mustangs true to the original design, but underneath the skin it’s all-new, with a fuel-injected 5.0L V8, power 4-wheel disc brakes and a completely new suspension setup. There are some minor changes to the body to accommodate the new components, but the panels from the Revology Mustang will fit an original. The car even comes with a warranty. Orders can be placed now for delivery in 2016. The only question is, will people spend $120,000 for a Mustang replica?
http://www.revologycars.com/worlds-firs ... delegance/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:World’s First Original Mustang Replica
1964 ½ MUSTANG BROUGHT TO 2015 ½ STANDARDS
Do you want a the look of a classic car, but one that comes with the latest technology? Well check out a company called Revology, founded by former Ford SVT engineer Tom Scarpello. It’s producing brand new first-generation Mustangs true to the original design, but underneath the skin it’s all-new, with a fuel-injected 5.0L V8, power 4-wheel disc brakes and a completely new suspension setup. There are some minor changes to the body to accommodate the new components, but the panels from the Revology Mustang will fit an original. The car even comes with a warranty. Orders can be placed now for delivery in 2016. The only question is, will people spend $120,000 for a Mustang replica?
http://www.revologycars.com/worlds-firs ... delegance/
That seems pretty cool. For some reason, I espeically like the part where they hide the power window controls by making the crank window levers into the power window controls. It will look like you are starting to use the lever, and you can control the window. It's a neat idea for the whole thing, I wonder how many they will actually sell, since you are basically custom ordering a car from the ground up.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Hello All --

It's been a while..... here's my car today. Just over a 5.5 weeks I have it now...

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote:Hello All --

It's been a while..... here's my car today. Just over a 5.5 weeks I have it now...

So...which'ne you get. Turbo 4, V6, V8?

I drove the turbo 4 in yellow. Did want. Have Focus ST instead (cheaper to buy and insure).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

What's the difference in insurance between the ST and the Stang? Turbo 4 in this case lets say
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Not exactly sure of the precise diff, but I quoted a 13 V6 and it was $300 more over 6 months. I'm currently paying $610 for 6 months in Ms. Frizzle.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!