Thoughts on car stereotypes?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Thoughts on car stereotypes?

Post by bk7794 »

I was wondering what your thoughts are on car branding. Branding such as the Miata being labeled as a chick car etc. etc.

So what are your thoughts?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Thoughts on car stereotypes?

Post by Squint »

I feel like specific examples will need to be brought up before too many opinions are laid out. Otherwise, there might be too many things to list :lol:

Lifted trucks are ridiculous.

Audi TT and Miata might both look like chick cars, but they would both be a blast to drive.

90s Taurus might be one of the ugliest cars ever.

M series BMWs usually drive like male chickens.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Around here, over 90% of Jeeps are lifted. Most are bought this way from the dealer, with the lifts and tires and bumpers as dealer-installed accessories before purchase, with costs bundled into financing. Seeing a stock Jeep once, I caught myself thinking that it looked lowered. Not used to it. This is one of the reasons I sold my Jeep here. Up north, people would do a Jeep wave and it was different. Many oft those who had a lifted Jeep would actually wheel it. Here - not even close. It's just an image.

In fact, it's the current trend (especially in middle to upper-middle class suburbs) is to appear like you have an active outdoor lifestyle, which means that you have to drive a lifted Jeep.

One of the more wide-spread stereotypes that still exist is that a small car = an economy penalty box that makes you feel like breaking your own joints one by one if you spend any time in it vs. a larger and thus better car. Couldn't be farther from the truth. While small cars are certainly still economy cars, they are nowhere near the penalty boxes they used to be. Just about all small cars offer nice options such as leather, touchscreen nav, BT, etc., many of them are including more and more standard features even on mid-level and entry level trims.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote: Image
I was wondering what your thoughts are on car branding.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Post by DarkPilot »

AHTOXA wrote:Around here, over 90% of Jeeps are lifted. Most are bought this way from the dealer, with the lifts and tires and bumpers as dealer-installed accessories before purchase, with costs bundled into financing. Seeing a stock Jeep once, I caught myself thinking that it looked lowered. Not used to it. This is one of the reasons I sold my Jeep here. Up north, people would do a Jeep wave and it was different. Many oft those who had a lifted Jeep would actually wheel it. Here - not even close. It's just an image.

In fact, it's the current trend (especially in middle to upper-middle class suburbs) is to appear like you have an active outdoor lifestyle, which means that you have to drive a lifted Jeep.
Same goes for pickup trucks here in Alberta. If it ain't lifted, you're sissy commie unemployed hippie. Drive anything smaller than a full size sedan and you're invisible too.
Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

DarkPilot wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Around here, over 90% of Jeeps are lifted. Most are bought this way from the dealer, with the lifts and tires and bumpers as dealer-installed accessories before purchase, with costs bundled into financing. Seeing a stock Jeep once, I caught myself thinking that it looked lowered. Not used to it. This is one of the reasons I sold my Jeep here. Up north, people would do a Jeep wave and it was different. Many oft those who had a lifted Jeep would actually wheel it. Here - not even close. It's just an image.

Same goes for pickup trucks here in Alberta. If it ain't lifted, you're sissy commie unemployed hippie. Drive anything smaller than a full size sedan and you're invisible too.
That's why my Fiesta is bright green. I glow in the dark!
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Post by DarkPilot »

Squint wrote:That's why my Fiesta is bright green. I glow in the dark!

Ha, even my bright yellow Focus is invisible. In the span of 2 minutes I was cutoff twice and run off the road. By the same driver...
Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

DarkPilot wrote:Ha, even my bright yellow Focus is invisible. In the span of 2 minutes I was cutoff twice and run off the road. By the same driver...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilyroads.v

I use that app on an old, obsolete, deactivated smartphone in a dash cradle to get crap like that on video. Hopefully it will help if there's ever a crash. I started using it after a string of nasty interstate cut-off events, the last of which seemed almost like the dude was purposely trying to take me out (and I almost wiped out in a 65mph 4-wheel skid avoiding the crash, and I blew out a brake line from adrenaline running through a very strong leg)...if I had video of that I would have his tag number and I would have given the video to the cops.

I also get audio of malfunctions, like the exhaust breaking on my wife's Sunfire...sounded like a fartcan on a Civic.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Stereotypes are...well...stereotypes.

Here goes:

Subarus are driven by two sorts of people: lesbians and douchebags.

Volkswagens are German cars for people who can't afford German cars.

Truck drivers are assholes.

Sports car drivers are self-important pricks.

Toyota drivers can't find the accelerator or stay in the right lane or figure out how to turn their brights off.

People in luxo-barges don't know what a turn signal is nor how to use it.

Oh...and there's no replacement for displacement.

I forgot one, the size of your automocar is inversely proportional to the size of your bits.

Who am I missing?
Last edited by tankinbeans on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

bk7794 wrote:I was wondering what your thoughts are on car branding. Branding such as the Miata being labeled as a chick car etc. etc.

I've always referred to Sunfires, Cavaliers, Grand Ams, Neons and Eclipses as vag-cars because the only people who drive them in my area seem to be tween bitches in high school.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I was wondering what your thoughts are on car branding. Branding such as the Miata being labeled as a chick car etc. etc.

I've always referred to Sunfires, Cavaliers, Grand Ams, Neons, Eclipses, and convertibles as vag-cars because the only people who drive them in my area seem to be tween bitches in high school.
Fickset
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tankinbeans wrote:Stereotypes are...well...stereotypes.
All stereotypes are based in reality.

The two most common ones for Saab owners:
-Saab drivers are snobs (snaabs).
-Saab owners are all professors who wear jackets with elbow patches.

The enthusiast community is not like that. Most common enthusiasts are the obnoxious purists (I troll them) and off-kilter individuals ("special" people such as yours truly).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Crutchfield still carries many car stereotypes

http://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car ... t=e&awnw=g
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:The two most common ones for Saab owners:
-Saab drivers are snobs (snaabs).
-Saab owners are all professors who wear jackets with elbow patches.

The enthusiast community is not like that. Most common enthusiasts are the obnoxious purists (I troll them) and off-kilter individuals ("special" people such as yours truly).
The off-kilter individuals used to be the majority, followed by elbow patch jacket professors and snaabs. My aunt and her husband were that type. This was back when Saabs had that really weird, oddball look...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD