I think my clutch just went

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

I think my clutch just went

Post by rml605 »

Ugh, kill me now. Waiting to hear from the shop to see what exactly is wrong. I'm driving home on highway and my clutch is making metal clicking sound when I depress it. It's going on and off. NO slippage at all. Getting into to gear fine and car is riding smoothly. Well, 5 mins later, I am at a light and go to put into first and I can't even get my shifter into gear. I was actually able to move shifter into 3rd or 4th with some strength but didnt want to mess anything up so got it towed. This is terrible. Likely clutch im guessing? looks like 1000 out of my pocket now. :x :x I have an 04 TSX w/ 111K. Pretty sure previous owner some clutch repairment at like 35K.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: I think my clutch just went

Post by AHTOXA »

Hopefully it's linkage or maybe the hydraulic pressure issue. Good luck.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Sounds like a bad pilot bearing, which might as well be a bad clutch from a labor standpoint (and I'd recommend a new clutch and both bearings to avoid doing it again soon...For vehicles with an internal slave I'd also do that while at it).

You could have gotten it in gear without hurting anything by shutting it off, but if there really was no slippage in the system it would just die when you tried to restart it and it's basically asking for damage to the transmission to drive it with a clutch that won't properly disengage.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Sounds like actual fail was with the clutch release system, not the transmission or the clutch itself. If the repair can be made from outside the transmission bellhousing, then I'd do that and stop there, but if access to the failed component(s) requires separation of the trans from the engine, then I'd go for a new clutch cover, disk and release bearing because you are already paying for the lion's share of the labor cost of replacing them.
Seems like the TSX has external slave cylinder - mounted outside the bellhousing. Get someone to press and release the clutch pedal while you look for movement of the slave cylinder rod. Look for leaking fluid while you are there as well. Check the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir to see if it has fluid. Check the clutch master cylinder for leaks as well.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Yup shop just called need new clutch 1200.

Jesus.. Reputable shop in my area my family goes too so I trust them. If I didn't need car asap I'd buy the parts and bring it somewhere else but they're getting it done for me by Mon

This sucks.. is this really the case sometimes with clutches? No slippage and all of sudden just stop working?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Please post purloined pieces pics.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Please post purloined pieces pics.
Huh? Lol
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Please post purloined pieces pics.
Huh? Lol
To me "purloined" means stolen, but I suspect he's asking for carnage pics, photos of the parts that get removed from the car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Oh lol, well ill try too.

So mad right now..car was driving fine no slippage at all then boom.. :(
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

No complaints allowed! Thats half the price of a clutch job in my car if I ever need one.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

watkins wrote:No complaints allowed! Thats half the price of a clutch job in my car if I ever need one.
That sounds like a, "If you need that job done, please don't bring it to this shop," number. The clutch is a little high and you'd want to replace the slave while you're in there since it's internal, but that's still A LOT of labor.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Clutch kit with disc, pressure plate, and slave is $400-450 for my car for decent parts. More with shop markup. Pain in the ass to get in there, and a pain in the ass bleed procedure. Add in some exaggeration. Its probably more like a $2000 job
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I was listening on car-talk the other day....some guy calls in with original clutch at 130,000 miles or so and he's asking them about towing some travel trailer across the country. One opinion was "The car is blessed and nothing will harm it - go ahead". The other opinion was "You don't know how much or how little life there still is in that clutch - why take a chance on having to have it repaired on an emergency basis, having it towed, being an "outsider" at the mercy of some local mechanic, etc." The general consensus was to get it fixed in advance of clutch failure.

Then, they found out they misunderstood the question - he's planning on having his vehicle be towed BEHIND a motorhome, to use as transportation in the areas he visits, and he just wanted to know if he should R&R the clutch before using it this way. For this scenario, their recommendation was back to "If it hasn't broken yet, it's going to last forever - use it "As-Is"".
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Is it common for a clutch to just suddenly go after no slippage at all? All I heard was on and off popcorn sounds when depressing no problems in gear then suddenly it just stops working.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

This isn't wearing out in the traditional sense. It's a mechanical failure and there's no reason to expect any slippage leading up to it. If the parts used are good and changes are done correctly and completely, this failure mode should be exceedingly rare (little comfort, I know).