Hyundai/Kia fined for misstated fuel economy/emissions

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Hyundai/Kia fined for misstated fuel economy/emissions

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:
Shadow wrote:Now if they can just get the damn transmission to shift properly in my POS Jeep..... :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
Dont worry, the 354641519th software update for shift quality is just around the corner :roll: :lol:

I know, it's pathetic. Sadly, there's other crap with this POS that annoys me too. It's so sad that my 11-year-old 4Runner was not only a better-driving vehicle, but everything worked the way it was supposed to work as well, unlike the Jeep.

I can't wait to see what the 6th generation 4Runner looks like. As long as it's not horrible looking, I'll be dumping the Jeep and getting back into a 4Runner for sure.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Cars were far more simple back then. There are more control modules in the Jeep than you can imagine. There were probably enough to count on one hand in the old 4Runner. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if there are just as many issues with the new one as there are with a comparable Grand Cherokee. More things that can go wrong means that there are more things that will go wrong.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:Cars were far more simple back then. There are more control modules in the Jeep than you can imagine. There were probably enough to count on one hand in the old 4Runner. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if there are just as many issues with the new one as there are with a comparable Grand Cherokee. More things that can go wrong means that there are more things that will go wrong.
Back then? LOL....Don't kid yourself. It's not like the 4Runner was an old carb engine vehicle with a manual choke. LOL. Sure, it's not cutting edge technology today, but it still had the majority of features that you see on today's SUVs, including a lot of the electronic systems (yes, it has Toyota's STAR Safety System). Does the Jeep have even more? Sure it does. But so what? Half the stuff wrong with the Jeep is basic stuff on all vehicles, not cutting-edge technology.

And no, the newest 4Runners don't have anywhere near the issues as the new Grand Cherokees. Toyota, in general, is vastly superior to Jeep when it comes to building an SUV that has far fewer issues and is inherently more reliable. Jeep has been on the bottom of the reliability rankings for quite some time now. I think only Land Rover is worse when it comes to SUVs.

Anyway, I'd never make excuses for Jeep because there really is no excuse. They put an 8-speed transmission (a true ZF in the V8 and diesel, and a Chrysler-modified version of the ZF in the V6) that has been huge headaches for a lot of owners. That started in the 2014 model year. Mine is a 2015. I had hoped that they'd iron out the bugs by the second year, but that's obviously not the case. It's just a shame that they didn't spend more time working through the issues before they started building the Grand Cherokee with the 8-speed.

I can't complain because I knew what I was getting myself into. The honest truth is that I haven't had an American vehicle in a long time and I really wanted to buy American. Well, the Jeep is such a POS that I'll most definitely be going back to an import again shortly. I took a gamble, but I lost this time.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Shadow wrote:
watkins wrote:Cars were far more simple back then. There are more control modules in the Jeep than you can imagine. There were probably enough to count on one hand in the old 4Runner. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if there are just as many issues with the new one as there are with a comparable Grand Cherokee. More things that can go wrong means that there are more things that will go wrong.
Back then? LOL....Don't kid yourself. It's not like the 4Runner was an old carb engine vehicle with a manual choke. LOL. Sure, it's not cutting edge technology today, but it still had the majority of features that you see on today's SUVs, including a lot of the electronic systems (yes, it has Toyota's STAR Safety System). Does the Jeep have even more? Sure it does. But so what? Half the stuff wrong with the Jeep is basic stuff on all vehicles, not cutting-edge technology.
The features were there, but they worked in a much simpler way. Wiring was basic switches and relays. Everything didnt go through a control module with bussed inputs and outputs. This is where the problems tend to pop up, at least in Mopar vehicles. Control modules fail long before the input and output components.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:

The features were there, but they worked in a much simpler way. Wiring was basic switches and relays. Everything didnt go through a control module with bussed inputs and outputs. This is where the problems tend to pop up, at least in Mopar vehicles. Control modules fail long before the input and output components.
I think you need to research Toyota vehicles, as they've been using busses for quite some time now. That's not new technology in any sense.
litesong
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: two Elantras

Post by litesong »

An old thread brings back old memories, recent memories & smiles:
////////
Shadow wrote:
Face it, Kia is still considered a "low-end" brand......
////////
Squint wrote:
KIA is definitely still in the lower tier of car brands.....
///////
litesong wrote:
It's so fine that Hyundai/Kia over-stated their mpg & so many people still consider them "low-end". In 2011, when Hyundai introduced their "fluidic" designs, Hyundai took off, both in cars sold & the prices charged. With an auto tranny & few baubles, they wanted $18,000+ for an Elantra & did little bargaining. So much for 2009, when I saw a dealer selling TWO small Hyundai Accents for $14,000! Anyhow, with the Hyundai mpg belch, I still knew they were excellent cars & would get good mpg. In 2013 we got a nice auto tranny Elantra with lots of baubles(no dealing) for cheap(39mpg average---43mpg, short trip highway). & come June 2016 we got a stripped(only a bit, stripped) manual Elantra for much cheaper still(39mpg average---46mpg, longer trip highway). So much for the leadfooters who bitched & couldn't featherfoot. Oh, yeah. We didn't trade in the the 2013 Elantra & have two of them now....even the same color. Oh, yeah again.....140,000 miles on our 3 Hyundais & only very minor things, reset or repaired under warranty, two cars with no problems at all. Shoot, we ain't gettin' no use from the 100,000 mile warranties.....hey, that's a good thing. :P
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I had my KIA Forte at the time when this was all going down. It wasn't involved and got wonderful mileage 32ish combined. The transmission was a bit of a let-down to say the least, and the tires being completely used up in 15,000 miles.

27,000 mostly good miles and I'm not ready to swear off the brand. I've just been driving my Fords and loving them.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!