Best learner MT

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
rebel1861
Junior Standardshifter

Best learner MT

Post by rebel1861 »

I am looking for some advice on the best manual transmission car to learn on. I am a driving instructor in Massachusetts and I would like to try to start a program to teach kids how to drive a stick. I was told it was brought up before but turned down, so I thought I would do some research and come up with a proposal. I thought I'd start with a car. I'm looking for a car I can pick up cheap that is cheap and easy to replace the clutch on. So I was just looking for ideas on cars that are easy to drive and very forgiving to new drivers.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Best learner MT

Post by AHTOXA »

Buy the best-maintained car with the most known repair record and best-known reliability track and the lowest miles you can afford. In regards to manual trans - it won't make a difference. Individual car condition, mileage and maintenance done to it in the past will be the deciding factors.

Generally speaking, RWD cars may be easier to have the clutch replaced due to drivetrain layout, but that severely narrows down your choices. I wouldn't worry about that.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The easiest I've dealt with was honestly my Focus, bit that's going to be a bit expensive if you're trying to stay cheap. I'd honestly go with an older Corolla. My brother had one, abused it to no end, and the clutch lasted 250k (110k of those were his). The only reason he no longer has it is because the engine crapped out after years of neglect and an oil change every 50 or 60k miles.

Easy to drive, small, not much to break.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:Generally speaking, RWD cars may be easier to have the clutch replaced due to drivetrain layout, but that severely narrows down your choices. I wouldn't worry about that.
Or a first generation Saab 900. Easiest FWD clutch job ever. Its backwards.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

2WD I4 Chevy S10. Very easy to learn to drive manual with controls that feel great, and cheap/easy to maintain/repair. Only problem is they're all pretty old now.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

A Ranger in good nick could be a possibility.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Civic FTW!!! in all reality, most any compact car would fit the bill; civics have VERY forgiving clutches though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Not a VW. Those clutches are awful.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:Not a VW. Those clutches are awful.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Every single person here (and everywhere) will have a different answer. They will share based on their (globally limited) experience.

I still believe that you buy the best maintained, most statistically reliable, lowest mileage car in your budget.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

One thing I will say. Try to avoid super light clutches on modern cars. They are harder to learn on and get a feel for. You want to stay in between a stiff clutch and a super light marshmallow clutch.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:
Vague, with no feeling is awful eh? Good to know.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
rebel1861
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rebel1861 »

AHTOXA wrote:Every single person here (and everywhere) will have a different answer. They will share based on their (globally limited) experience.

I still believe that you buy the best maintained, most statistically reliable, lowest mileage car in your budget.
That was kinda the idea. I only have a limited experience of the clutches I have driven same with the people around me. I wanted to throw out the question to see I could narrow down the results. Going in I had some ideas, civics were on the top of list, easy to come by abundance of parts easy to find in stick. I just have never had the opportunity to drive a manual civic. That said I just want find the car that most think would be good to last on.

Also for some reason service record never crossed my mind but in this case it is important so thank you AHTOXA
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:Civic FTW!!! in all reality, most any compact car would fit the bill; civics have VERY forgiving clutches though.
I would vote for this as well. If OP is going to be officially training people, there might be requirements on age/mileage of the vehicle. Civics across the board are basically the base-line compact car that is supposed to be uber-reliable. A Corolla would work as well, so that might be a toss up if OP prefers Toyota to Honda. I do know that a Civic (at least a few years old, I haven't driven any of the models in the past 5 years or so) have an average enough feeling clutch so isn't feather light or impossibly heavy.

Vaguely related story: I have a friend who is cheap enough that he won't buy a car while his current car is functioning. He drives an early 2000s manual Civic and while he does basic maintenance, he doesn't do anything extra. He has intentionally tried to drive it harshly and the thing just keeps ticking. :lol: :lol:

OP, while the car is a big factor, you might also want to some basic calculations on how many miles, how much you will set aside for maintenance, how much you would charge, etc... and see if you can make it viable. As much as we are in favor of sticks, there probably aren't a TON of customers that want to learn - especially if the price is way too high. Take a few minutes and do some math to see if this is even viable. But good luck! Hopefully it will work out for you!
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:
theholycow wrote:
Vague, with no feeling is awful eh? Good to know.
Feels like it's not hooked up to anything. Completely numb.

Resistance is like the spring from a retractable pen, like a stiff breeze could press it to the floor.

Engagement/friction isn't a zone, it's a point; it's an on-off switch, but it's located somewhere near the top of the range (but not all the way at the top).

Someone who is learning will slowly bring the pedal up, nothing happens. They slowly bring it up more, still nothing happens. They slowly bring it up more if they still have any patience, still nothing happens. They're almost at the top and they bring it up another millimeter and suddenly the car has stalled. Next time they try to remember where it was but there's no reference, there's no changes in pressure, no feedback, nothing.