Ford 1.0 Ecoboost

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Ford 1.0 Ecoboost

Post by bk7794 »

I understand there is another thread about this engine somewhere but I wondered what your thoughts are on this engine. Seems decently peppy and sounds pretty good. Plus I hear they're putting about 130 horse down to the wheel. The only thing I fear is the two belts. One for the camshaft and one for the oil pump. Seems that they're really running with the timing belts.

I was really considering test driving this car and maybe buying one in the next few years.

So discuss.

Power output:
123hp 125 tq (148 Overboost Tq)

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Ford 1.0 Ecoboost

Post by tankinbeans »

It would be interesting to hear opinions of the 1.0EB Fiesta versus the 1.0EB Focus. I'm still not willing to try a turbo of any flavor yet. I think it's probably more fear of the unknown versus a problem waiting to happen, but what can I say. Then again the new Taurus is getting the 2.0EB option. The engineers must know something I don't..
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

can't hear it up in here (no speakers?!?! hello mcfly!?!) but despite the sad (for a modernday american car) power numbers, those 0-60 times are pretty good, light car or not.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

tankinbeans wrote:It would be interesting to hear opinions of the 1.0EB Fiesta versus the 1.0EB Focus. I'm still not willing to try a turbo of any flavor yet. I think it's probably more fear of the unknown versus a problem waiting to happen, but what can I say. Then again the new Taurus is getting the 2.0EB option. The engineers must know something I don't..
Yeah I still have some hesitation toward turbos and such. I mostly fear the timing belt. Especially because they claim it lasts a lifetime.
potownrob wrote:can't hear it up in here (no speakers?!?! hello mcfly!?!) but despite the sad (for a modernday american car) power numbers, those 0-60 times are pretty good, light car or not.
For a 1.0l turbo that gets 45mpg that's respectable. Plus its a German engine....
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:Plus its a German engine....
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

What do you guys have against turbos? Serious question.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

ok, listened to it (with sound this time!!) - sounds nice, actually kind of like my 2.5 when accelerating. in line to test drive NAO!! :twisted: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

six wrote:What do you guys have against turbos? Serious question.
probably worried about reliability/durability, plus these little boosted engines are kind of new here. i personally am curious to try one.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Turbochargers have been around since even before the dawn of the automobile. Turbo engines are some of the most reliable and durable engines out there, and turbochargers are used in nearly every application known to man, land, sea, and air. It is one of the most basic and well-worn technologies in the internal combustion world, and is as old as internal combustion itself.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

you're forgetting about some of the not-so-reliable turbo engines that we've been blessed with over the past 10-15 years.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

There's no denying that FI engines have more components, more moving parts and turbos (not familiar with superchargers) do wear out, which is another expensive thing to wear out as the car ages. That's what scares most people off. Past 100k miles the FI cars will undoubtedly need more maintenance and be costlier than a comparable NA car.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

:(

I guess I come from a different mindset. I don't look at cars that way, thinking about years, possibly a decade, into the future of potential maintenance costs. I can't believe that is the sole reason why people are shying away from turbo cars.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

six wrote::(

I guess I come from a different mindset. I don't look at cars that way, thinking about years, possibly a decade, into the future of potential maintenance costs.
You currently drive a car that's 11 years old. Unless you're planning to replace it soon, you might want to give a little more credence to that issue.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

six wrote::(

I guess I come from a different mindset. I don't look at cars that way, thinking about years, possibly a decade, into the future of potential maintenance costs. I can't believe that is the sole reason why people are shying away from turbo cars.
It's not hard to believe, really. Most people want an appliance. Most people want reliability. If they can buy a 1.8 Sonic vs a 1.4T Sonic, they will get what's cheaper to buy up front (1.4T carries a $700 premium all other things being equal) and what's cheaper to maintain in the long term. Most won't care that the 1.4T has a better toque and superior power delivery, as well as slightly better gas mileage; not discussing modding here.

Turbocharging is certainly not anything new in the auto world, but it's a complex process, from software engine management, to increased need for better heat management, to more moving parts associated with the turbo itself as well as related components.

For most people, this is not necessary, especially at the appliance car pricepoint. The reason manufacturers are moving towards small displacement FI is because it allows for greater fuel economy while being able to maintain a better performance level.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

One thing that worries me just, a little bit, about a turbo is just the fact that they're quite expensive. Plus sometimes they bury the turbos deep within bay. I wonder how easy one of these would be to replace though. Seems like the turbo is right in front there.

Plus what are your thoughts on this dual belt setup? That worries me much more than the turbo.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-12-SHO-Tauru ... 69&vxp=mtr

Ah I guess they aren't that expensive...