Heavy shift knob

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Heavy shift knob

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:I spent the last two days in training tearing down every manual Chrysler has used in the past several years. I have seen far too many shift shafts.
In olden-days, the shaft stayed still and the shift fork slid along the shaft. Then summon fingered out the forks could be fickset to the shafts and the shafts could move - less binding, less freeplay, but then oil would build up in the pockets ahead of the shafts and you got oil-damped shifting. They put flats on the shafts to make a space for the oil to escape and the shift damping was reduced.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
FRSstyle
Junior Standardshifter

Post by FRSstyle »

So are heavy shift knobs okay to use?

The one I'm looking to install is 735 grams (or 1.6 pounds)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

FRSstyle wrote:So are heavy shift knobs okay to use?

The one I'm looking to install is 735 grams (or 1.6 pounds)
SEARCH NOOB!!!!

:lol: jk bro 8)
I doubt it would do any harm. I would think holding the shifter would cause more wear than just having a heavy shiftknob. The heavy shiftknob doesn't keep the shifter and shift linkage from vibrating like your hand on the shifter does.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The heavy knob would just apply downward pressure at the pivot whereas holding would apply lateral pressure. The pivot doesn't really do much.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!