Fuel Fill Door - left side or right side?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: Fuel Fill Door - left side or right side?

Post by mtheis »

4onthefloor wrote:
six wrote:Ummm, left and right side while you're facing which direction? As you are looking forward from the back of the car, or looking back from the front of the car?

Direction (left/right) is typically stated from the pilot's/driver's perspective.
This.

Never a good idea to say "driver" or "passenger" side since cars could be either left hand drive or right hand drive.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
cwat89
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cwat89 »

Both of my cars are on the driver side, wifes car (Mercedes) passenger side. I prefer the passenger side so that when my wife rides with me it's closer for her to get out and pump gas. :lol: jk
1988 Chevy S10 M5
I will never get rid of this truck!

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 A4
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

4onthefloor wrote:
six wrote:Ummm, left and right side while you're facing which direction? As you are looking forward from the back of the car, or looking back from the front of the car?

Direction (left/right) is typically stated from the pilot's/driver's perspective.
Sorry, I came from an AV/staging background, and left/right perspectives always throw me off. "Is it stage left or house left?!" "The right display! Which right, the presenter's right or the audience's right?!?!" :lol:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i remember hearing/reading something about all european cars having the filler on the right side. must be true since i heard/read it on the internet. 8)

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

When dealing with vehicles it should be fairly unambiguous. If you're so motivated, port and starboard are completely unambiguous.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:When dealing with vehicles it should be fairly unambiguous. If you're so motivated, anything forward of the shifter would be the fo'c's'le.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

It's the left or right side of the car...it doesn't matter if you're looking at the car from the front or the rear. Just like someone's left hand is their left hand whether you are standing in front of them or behind them.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It's not spelled fo'c's'le. It's just pronounced that way. It's spelled forecastle.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:i remember hearing/reading something about all european cars having the filler on the right side. must be true since i heard/read it on the internet. 8)
All European cars? LOL, I dunno about that.....lotsa cars in Europe. And of course Germany is in Europe, but that's just one small country. I will say that I'm keeping my eyes open for a German car with the fuel fill on the left side. I'll be sure to post the make/model when I find one.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Shadow wrote:
potownrob wrote:i remember hearing/reading something about all european cars having the filler on the right side. must be true since i heard/read it on the internet. 8)
All European cars? LOL, I dunno about that.....lotsa cars in Europe. And of course Germany is in Europe, but that's just one small country. I will say that I'm keeping my eyes open for a German car with the fuel fill on the left side. I'll be sure to post the make/model when I find one.
I shall also keep my peepers peeled for one. This can be a collaborative effort.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

A few German models with left-side fillers, some of which are "British":

Mini Cooper
Mercedes-Benz CLA
Bentley Mulsanne
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:It's not spelled fo'c's'le. It's just pronounced that way. It's spelled forecastle.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ford sez they locate the fuel filler wherever there is a compelling reason to put it.

http://social.ford.com/ask-ford/cars/ta ... -stations/
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

All of the cars I've ever owned/driven for extended periods of time have had their fill doors on the left (driver's) side of the car. All Toyotas are the same way - at least any that I saw at the dealership. In my time there, I had a few random cars that had right side fill doors, but it certainly is far less common for more modern cars across the board in the US - at least from my experience.

As a potential complication, there are places like Costco where they require people to pull in one direction. All traffic goes one way - which means there are pumps that are right side usable or the customer might have to stretch the hose across the car (which I've done in my Fiesta when the pump was on the right/passenger side and lines for the rest of the pumps). Still worth it for saving $0.30+/gal when I was already at the place anyway.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Think like a river. In a river the right bank is on your right if you are floating downstream. In a car the right side is to your right if you are driving.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...