Doomsday for manual transmission vehicles

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Doomsday for manual transmission vehicles

Post by Boston Fit »

daleadbull wrote:What car manufacturers in general are known to make the best manuals?
Honda! That's why I drive what I drive.
2013 Honda Civic Si
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Boston Fit wrote:
daleadbull wrote:What car manufacturers in general are known to make the best manuals?
I do agree...a shame mine was beaten.

A car I would buy is a 2013 Civic Si. I hear their transmissions are like butter.

However, I would also do my best to preserve the 00 and 91
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I really need to drive a new Civic. I loathingly refer to my sister's '06 as the Honda Awful Car. Worst car I have ever driven in terms of all-around displeasure. It is an automatic, but I doubt even a nice Honda manual would make me enjoy the car much.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

bk7794 - Although it does not show up on a spec sheet, the transmission in the '13 Civic Si is heavenly. It's one of the main reasons I got mine, sacrificing the superior practicality and/or horsepower of other cars that I was considering. (By the way, what do you mean yours was "beaten"?)

watkins - I don't know about the auto Civics, but I learned to drive stick on a second-gen 2010 Honda Fit, which must surely be engineered with all kinds of corner-cutting in light of its econo price. Even so, its transmission was excellent and it was reasonably fun-to-drive in a go-kart kind of way. It's a good pick if you're looking for a cheap commuter with a good manual transmission, small footprint, and gobs of cargo space. (Not great in snow, though.)
2013 Honda Civic Si
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Im not just talking about the lame transmission. I mean EVERYTHING about the car is aweful. Miserably slow. Barely able to get out of its own way. Murderously uncomfortable. Infuriating visibility due to the windshield rake. Aweful dash layout. Etcetera
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Boston Fit wrote:
Yea, I've heard Honda makes some good manuals. Its too bad they don't really make performance cars anymore. I guess there's the Civic SI but I need something more.
2012 VW Golf R
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

daleadbull wrote:Yea, I've heard Honda makes some good manuals. Its too bad they don't really make performance cars anymore. I guess there's the Civic SI but I need something more.
Agreed; the Si is a great commuter but it's not a performance car. You might prefer a WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, or Focus/Fiesta ST . But it looks like you already have a fairly new Golf R. Are you looking to replace or add to the stable?
2013 Honda Civic Si
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Boston Fit wrote:
daleadbull wrote:Yea, I've heard Honda makes some good manuals. Its too bad they don't really make performance cars anymore. I guess there's the Civic SI but I need something more.
Agreed; the Si is a great commuter but it's not a performance car. You might prefer a WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, or Focus/Fiesta ST . But it looks like you already have a fairly new Golf R. Are you looking to replace or add to the stable?
I read daleadbull's statement as rhetorical though I easily could be misinterpreting that.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Boston Fit wrote:
Squint's right, I was just making a general statement. I'm not planning on replacing my car for a while, I was just wondering which car manufacturer makes the best shifting manuals.
2012 VW Golf R
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Boston Fit wrote:bk7794 - Although it does not show up on a spec sheet, the transmission in the '13 Civic Si is heavenly. It's one of the main reasons I got mine, sacrificing the superior practicality and/or horsepower of other cars that I was considering. (By the way, what do you mean yours was "beaten"?)

watkins - I don't know about the auto Civics, but I learned to drive stick on a second-gen 2010 Honda Fit, which must surely be engineered with all kinds of corner-cutting in light of its econo price. Even so, its transmission was excellent and it was reasonably fun-to-drive in a go-kart kind of way. It's a good pick if you're looking for a cheap commuter with a good manual transmission, small footprint, and gobs of cargo space. (Not great in snow, though.)
I drove a 2009 Fit. LOVED the transmission in that. Loved everything about that car except the price. Really was too much money to park it in a college parking garage.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed