Automatic question

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Automatic question

Post by Boston Fit »

In some foreign countries, drivers will put their automatic transmissions into neutral when waiting at a red light. When the light turns green, they put it in "D" and off they go. These are countries where manual transmission is still commonplace if not predominant. My theory is that habits are carrying over from the m/t side.

Anyway, I was wondering which is the better practice from a wear and tear standpoint, if there is any difference at all: putting an automatic transmission in neutral when stopped, or leaving it in Drive like people do in the U.S.?

(I suppose the question is moot with regard to idle start/stop systems.)
2013 Honda Civic Si
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Automatic question

Post by ClutchDisc »

If I have to drive an auto (thankfully that is very, very rare) I put it in neutral when stopped because I can't stand trying to hold down the automatic creep.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

If it's a traditional automatic, then yes, there is negligible wear whenever you switch back and forth between N and D. But, unless the drivers are doing neutral-drops at every light, it shouldn't really matter either way.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've just now started realizing how much automatics tend to creep. When I was driving them all the time, only really started to drive a manual full time 3 years ago on March 1st, it was just a fact of life and I knew that I had to keep the brake matted the entire time or I'd wind up ATM with the car in front.

I've also finally started waiting at lights in neutral most of the time. Laziness has taken hold and I don't feel like tiring my leg out unnecessarily.

As for neutral drops, I've never done one. I think it could be fun...in a piece of shiite.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Thanks for the info, guys. What's a "neutral drop"?
2013 Honda Civic Si
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Rev in neutral while standing still. Slam into drive. Similar to clutch dump launch, really.

Many recent automatics prevent that, though, by by delaying that engagement until revs fall down.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Got it; thanks.
2013 Honda Civic Si
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

the real reason to put it in neutral is to release stress from the torque converter. if done right, it should save wear from the tranny. there are a lot of people though, that do it from having driven manual for many years. my grandpa, who had switched over to auto several decades prior, was still leaving grandma's auto camry in neutral with the ebrake up and the key left in the ignition (in NYC :lol: ) during the years before he stopped driving.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Boston Fit wrote:Got it; thanks.
Brake torqueing is a much better method of launching an automatic anyway. Neutral-drops are only useful for burnouts and peel-outs.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Brake torquing is fun expecially if you have the rear brakes disconnected and pour a little water or bleach under the rear tires (I am talking rear wheel drive or course).

Neutral drop is a good way to send off a beater that the junkman is going to pick up and haul away.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

InlinePaul wrote:Neutral drop is a good way to send off a beater that the junkman is going to pick up and haul away.
Or a good way to have an excuse to swap in a manual transmission. :wink: :mrgreen:
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

ClutchDisc wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:Neutral drop is a good way to send off a beater that the junkman is going to pick up and haul away.
Or a good way to have an excuse to swap in a manual transmission. :wink: :mrgreen:
LOL, especially if you do it right, the transmission would drop right out from under the car for you! Half of the swap would already be done :lol:
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

six wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:
LOL, especially if you do it right, the transmission would drop right out from under the car for you! Half of the swap would already be done :lol:
:lol: Hey you're giving me ideas... :wink:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

In which countries do they put an automatic in neutral while waiting at a red light? Color me skeptical.
potownrob wrote:the real reason to put it in neutral is to release stress from the torque converter. if done right, it should save wear from the tranny.

When at a stop in D, there is nothing wearing. All it does is lightly slosh the fluid. Shifting between D and N engages and disengages clutches. Those clutches wear. It's a negligible amount of wear, but if you want to save such a meaningless amount, shifting to N is the opposite of what you want to do.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i don't buy it, and will keep using neutral and recommending it. when the tranny is shaking apart when left in drive at lights, you know something is wrong.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.